Zinc anode

Bob Meola

Reaction score
Pulled boat yesterday found this hanging . I believe it belongs on the Zinc anode? My questions the other one on port side motor appears to be encased in plastic this one just has bare wire showing. Is it okay to just attach once I change anode or can I just put electrical tape around it ? Can anyone tell me what this called ? Thanks

Attachments

• anode.jpg
    anode.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 32

seasick

Reaction score
It is a ground bonding wire. It should connect to one bolt on the anode and a bolt on the motor bracket. It is a bare wire, no insulation.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Bob, it doesn't matter if the "wire" has a casing on it, or not. All that matters is that the ends are making a clean contact.

Actually, if you put tape over it, you'd probably cause the wire to rust/corrode prematurely since it would trap moisture.

seasick

Reaction score
Bob, it doesn't matter if the "wire" has a casing on it, or not. All that matters is that the ends are making a clean contact.

Actually, if you put tape over it, you'd probably cause the wire to rust/corrode prematurely since it would trap moisture.
In addition, things cab grow, like barnacles' on any insulation. Since the wire should be bare copper, it will act better than bottom paint:)

seasick

Reaction score
hmmmm. The last one I had to reconnect was on a Merc and it was copper:)

I would think that SS is a no-no for under water applications

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I never saw a outboard grounding cable in copper, Yamaha and Suzuki ones are bare SS and as on the photo from OP.
But I never had a Mercury ...
Honestly I don't think that a copper cable would last long semi/ submerged in saltwater

Chris

seasick

Reaction score
You both may be right. I assumed the wire was copper because it looked like copper when I sanded the break before crimping. I suppose that if stainless it may have some ferrous properties and a magnet may attract a bit.. I will have to check next spring.