Zinc Skeg Adjustment to cure pull ??

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
228G with Yamaha 225.. Boat has a constant pull to the right at high speed. ZInc is centered..

WHen looking at zinc head on, which way to turn clockwise or counter to offset pull.
Do not believe it is a trim tab issue

uncljohn

Reaction score
zinc should not be centered. Which is how the service guys installed mine. I can't say which direction but you need to put it offset a few notches one way or the other. Sorry can't say which direction.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think the aft of skeg needs to go in direction of pull.. Just wanted confirmation..

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it pulls to the right, move it to the right, when facing it from behind the boat.

That said, does it pull even when it's trimmed out? You will get a natural pull to the right if it's trimmed all the way down. Comes from the prop rotating clockwise.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
much less pull when trimmed out but I cant trim that far in heavier seas that require slower speeds

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Torque steer always decreases as you increase the trim angle.

You need to adjust the torque tab so that the pull is negligible when you have the engine trimmed to provide the proper running angle for the hull.

With a standard right rotating prop, you always need to move the rear of the tab to the right. Do this one increment (you'll see the lines) at a time until the pull goes away. If you go too far, the steering gets squirrelly and the hull will often list.

When you have it set up right, there should still be pull when you have the engine trimmed in. This goes away as you trim to the correct running angle.

Don't use your trim tabs when you do this adjustment.

grady23

Reaction score
Most set-ups need the tab moved two(2) marks to the right for initial setting. When set correctly, you should be able to let go of the wheel and the boat run straight when up on plane. Be sure the trim tabs are FULLY retracted and no more then two people in the boat with one one each side.