Zipper extends

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Something that’s taken a back seat to other things on my Grady to do list is getting the canvas enclosure usable. The factory canvas “looks” new but as so many do it’s shrunk some. I saw a product called zip extends that zip in between the panels bridging the gap.
Anyone here given this a try and where did you get yours from ?
There’s 2 reasons for getting to this now...
One is I’ve got quite a lot of everything else squared away and a recent trip out for winter stripers kinda froze my daughter. :(

Timcan

Reaction score
I have EZ-Extend Boat Zipper for a season now they have worked great made all my canvas inserts usable again.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

The only thing I saw on Google, and the first thing that popped up. You have to search images, to eliminate all the zip code hits.
I have never seen one used, and this seems like an expensive alternative. They have taken a cheap coil zipper, and sewn the 2 halves of a heavier YKK vislon zipper to the sides of it. Don't know how big of a gap you need to fill, but I don't see why you couldn't just take the correct size zipper, turn the 2 halves the right way, and just sew the tapes together. I don't see a need for the coil zipper in the middle, in your case. Any sewing machine will sew the tapes.
On an enclosure, you usually have a couple inches of extra zipper at the top. In your case, I would put the enclosure on, zip each half of the extra zipper to each side of the gap, mark where they line up vertically, and sew the tapes together, overlapping to get the right width. Can't imagine the gap would be more than the combined width of 2 YKK #10 VISLON zipper tapes, which is most likely the zipper you are matching.
Have you tried heat, or hot water? Parking that rig in a heated garage for a couple of days would probably make your task a lot easier. Get the canvas on, get it soaking wet, and hope the fabric relaxes.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just saw the product that Timcan posted, while I was slow typing. Looks just like what I was describing. How is the height of the canvas? (edit)Looking at their video, I see that the horizontal top zipper gets an Extender also.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Try leaving the panels in the sun a couple hours. They may stretch a bit

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter

The only thing I saw on Google, and the first thing that popped up. You have to search images, to eliminate all the zip code hits.
I have never seen one used, and this seems like an expensive alternative. They have taken a cheap coil zipper, and sewn the 2 halves of a heavier YKK vislon zipper to the sides of it. Don't know how big of a gap you need to fill, but I don't see why you couldn't just take the correct size zipper, turn the 2 halves the right way, and just sew the tapes together. I don't see a need for the coil zipper in the middle, in your case. Any sewing machine will sew the tapes.
On an enclosure, you usually have a couple inches of extra zipper at the top. In your case, I would put the enclosure on, zip each half of the extra zipper to each side of the gap, mark where they line up vertically, and sew the tapes together, overlapping to get the right width. Can't imagine the gap would be more than the combined width of 2 YKK #10 VISLON zipper tapes, which is most likely the zipper you are matching.
Have you tried heat, or hot water? Parking that rig in a heated garage for a couple of days would probably make your task a lot easier. Get the canvas on, get it soaking wet, and hope the fabric relaxes.
This is where it is stored so no heat. Feeling like even if I did get it stretched it would just shrink back. I trailer so it’s not like I can fight it into its skinny jeans ;) and leave it that way in a slip.
The site you found looks good and may be an option thanks.
B6983607-50DC-4BEB-A134-DD3AA3112F1F.jpeg

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Just saw the product that Timcan posted, while I was slow typing. Looks just like what I was describing. How is the height of the canvas? (edit)Looking at their video, I see that the horizontal top zipper gets an Extender also.

Oh more than likely I’ll do this and however many it takes so be it !
The goal is to have the enclosure on hand and be able to put it up without fighting it quickly should the weather turn ugly.
It’ll be a staple for chasing stripers this time of year !

seasick

Reaction score
Try leaving the panels in the sun a couple hours. They may stretch a bit
They will not stretch, at least the canvas won't. The plastic might if it is cold and was rolled up.
A better solution is to hang what you can and then hose down the canvas. This works fairly well to help the fibers stretch as long as the canvas absorbs water If it was heavily treated with repellant and the water completely beads off, it may not stretch.
Assuming it does, give it another shot at attaching all around. Let the whole setup dry out while attached and it will stay stretched for the most part. If it is too tight next time, wet it again.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Temp is a big factor. If let sit out on a hot day for a few hours and then re-install. I like the water idea, I think this would help as well on the older canvas (Sunbrella like). Likely does nothing on the waxy Staimoid material on later year boats.

Reactions: PointedRose

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’ve got to get it to fit in the state it’s in. Because I trailer it’s going to put up and taken down and stored so even if I get it stretched back out it’d probably shrink back up in short order.
A real fix would be to have some nice navy blue canvas made up with side curtains and drop.
Years back I had a complete set made for my bowrider. That was a bow cover, top, clear side windows, drop back from the top to the transom, a mooring cover and a boot to cover the folded top. All that ran me $1,800 and that was some 20+ years ago. I can only imagine what it’d cost now.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’ve got to get it to fit in the state it’s in. Because I trailer it’s going to put up and taken down and stored so even if I get it stretched back out it’d probably shrink back up in short order.
A real fix would be to have some nice navy blue canvas made up with side curtains and drop.
Years back I had a complete set made for my bowrider. That was a bow cover, top, clear side windows, drop back from the top to the transom, a mooring cover and a boot to cover the folded top. All that ran me $1,800 and that was some 20+ years ago. I can only imagine what it’d cost now.
The sailrite website has instructional videos for a lot of sunbrella projects. I found a $100 decent sewing machine (Bernina) on CL and have made a number of items relatively cheaply with materials from Amazon. Or you might know someone who could help