zuke 300hp

captkfly

Reaction score
I need to re power and am seriously looking at the suzuki 300hp. I know that G/W is partial to Yamaha and the Yamaha is a great product line. I've owned many Yamaha outboards and still own one on another boat this very day.

What I'd like is some very factual info on the zuke 300hp outboard line. I'm not interested in emotion or what someone feels. If anyone has any feedback with real facts without the usual bias that comes with boat owners, it would be greatly appreciated..........

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a DF175 and it was a great motor with lots of torque and zero problems. The only bad thing about Suzuki is their warranty, if they cover it takes forever for the parts.

jk

Reaction score
I repowered my Offshore last year with a suzuki 300, and I couldn't be happier. Very pleased with performance so far, has more than enough low end power for this sized boat, good fuel economy (if there is such a thing), and best of all we can carry on a conversation while underway. I'm cruising at 4200 rpm, +/- 33 mph, getting about 3 mpg. WOT seems to be around 5950 rpm and 45 mph. The throttle controls are a real upgrade as well from the old setup. I have a certified dealer 2 miles away (fortunately haven't needed them) for service, can't speak to the warranty issue. No expert with any bias here, but real happy with the decision. Good luck.

no problem

Reaction score
I repowered with a pair of suzuki 200's this year. So far I'm very happy with them. I haven't needed service or warranty yet. I did my first oil change myself with no difficulties. The larger diameter prop seems to be an advantage. I'm satisfied with mine so far, there's nothing like new stuff. Haven't heard anything bad about the 300. Good luck!

richie rich

Reaction score
FYI...this was in Soundings for trade only magazine recently....

Two men in Alaska are suing American Suzuki Motor Corp., alleging that the company's DF300 outboard overheats, causing safety concerns and shortening the life of the engine, according to court documents.

The lawsuit was filed in June in Superior Court in the First Judicial District at Ketchikan. Suzuki, which has not yet answered the complaint, asked that the case be moved to federal court.

The suit was filed by Ronald Moyer and Kevin Beck, who are seeking class-action status for the case. They have asked to represent a class of people who purchased Suzuki DF300 outboards and were Alaska residents at the time of purchase.

Moyer said that at the end of the 2008 season he learned that the fuel economy of the engine was dropping and tests discovered "substantial valve bypass," according to court documents.

"Examination of several Suzuki DF300 engines operated in the waters near Ketchikan also disclosed a pattern of valves, valve guides and valve seats with dimensions falling outside of design tolerances," the suit alleges. "Examination of Suzuki DF300 engines has also found, among other problems, cylinders that are out of round."

These problems are indicative of overheating, the suit says. This will lead to reduced service life of the engine and "compromised Moyer's ability to use the Suzuki DF300 engines safely while also achieving Suzuki's intended low emissions of pollution and good fuel economy."

It also causes a dangerous situation on the water, according to court documents.

Moyer said he is aware of at least 40 sales that fall within the proposed class definition and he believes that the class consists of more than 100 potential claimants.

The suit requests that claimants receive three times the amount of actual damages or $500 a violation, whichever is greater, as well as other relief.

A representative from Suzuki said the company could not respond to pending litigation.

DB

Reaction score
Suzuki is a B class of motor...no if ands or buts...good things are not cheap and cheap things are not good
Mercury & Yamaha are the leaders in market share...stick with those two and you can't go wrong...you said you have a Yamaha currently.... :doh

stevblutu15

Reaction score
I just repowered my 1987 Seafarer after blowing my 225 johnson. I went with a 250 suzuki. The motor blows away any yamaha i've ever seen. This motor planes my boat faster than the old 2 stroke did. I've had no issues, knock on wood in the 140 hours ive put on it. Every manufacturer has their problems. Merc has the verado problems, yami's have fewer but there are still issues out there, etecs have injector problems. Theyre all pretty good motors, but i would not hesitate to jump on a suzuki. I love mine.

NO REGRETS

Reaction score
Not 300's but have currently twin 225 2007's suzuki.Last boat had twin 150 suzuki's.No issues no warrantee needs either.

Attachments

• peanut island boat pics 012 (Medium) (2).jpg
    peanut island boat pics 012 (Medium) (2).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 4,866