1970 C-Craft P.O.S. project

gw204

Reaction score
Little bit of progress to report...

Ordered a bunch of stuff for the motor. Water pump, plugs, thermostat, carb kit, gear lube, etc. Drained the old gear lube a few weeks ago. I was/am a little concerned as only about 2 oz came out and portions were discolored as if some water was in there. I refilled with some leftover stuff I had in the basement and will see how things go. The lower unit only took about 6 oz. before it started oozing out the top vent. So based on that, I have enough gear lube left over from my old Sailfish to do this engine about 5 times. lol. Anyway, with doubts about the status of the lower, I decided not to put a full paint job on it right away. I did however prep and prime the bottom of the mid and the top of the lower unit. Hopefully the lower proves to be OK and I won't have to pull it off so I wanted to shoot these areas now.

Sanded down and ready for primer.

19236883083_2d322d36ab_z.jpg

Primed using Duplicolor primer from Advance Auto.

19862754161_603c1312b4_z.jpg

Forgot to take pics of the spots I primed on the lower. I chose this primer for it's self etching properties and because it was $6.99. Totally forgot that zinc chromate is what I should have used.... Oh well. I'm not painting anything else until I get some time on the engine and verify that it's worth fully painting. So even if I go back and do it over, it won't be a huge loss in terms of time or materials.

Will let this paint cure for a few weeks before bolting the lower on. In the meantime I will go ahead and install the water pump and go through the top end.

gw204

Reaction score
Re: 1980 Wenzel skiff project

Got in a little more work on the Wenzel skiff yesterday. My plan was to quickly Dremel out the spider cracks that needed gelcoat, match the color as best I could and fill them in. As usual that didn't work out for me. When I put the grinding bit to them I found that they were deeper than just surface cracks. I thought about just filling them in anyway, but decided to do it right so they won't come back. So...out came the grinder.

I ended up with 11 of these to fill in... :(

21511591534_e03976780a_z.jpg

Filled them in with 4 layers of 1-1/2 oz. mat. There may have been some 3/4 oz. as well since I was pulling from my bag of scraps.

21946252870_cd5eed10e4_z.jpg

4 layers was overkill as the finished repairs are standing proud of the surrounding surface, but I wanted to make sure that I got them filled completely. I will let them cure for several days before grinding flush and preparing for gelcoat. I'm hoping I can get these done in the next month so I'll have a chance to float the boat and do a little creek fishing before it gets too cold.