1986 Grady White 190 bilge pump mount help

xoibsurferx

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hello everyone just got my boat back from the marina and still have work to do to get it water ready. I need to change the bilge pump but not sure how to mount a new one. The one that was there was not even mounted inside the stern bilge area. I’m hesitant to screw the new one into the bottom of the well as seems crazy to screw something into the bottom of a boat. Any idea how it’s supposed to be mounted?

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have 2 pumps.
The primary red pump is screwed into the wood block in the bilge. If I had only one pump I would secure it mechanically to the hull. You could epoxy a wood block to the hull and screw the pump onto that.
This will be frowned upon, but my white backup pump is glued down with 4200.

2 trips out and still holding.

Attachments

• IMG_8581.JPG
    IMG_8581.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Reactions: xoibsurferx

xoibsurferx

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I have 2 pumps.
The primary red pump is screwed into the wood block in the bilge. If I had only one pump I would secure it mechanically to the hull. You could epoxy a wood block to the hull and screw the pump onto that.
This will be frowned upon, but my white backup pump is glued down with 4200.

2 trips out and still holding.

thank you for the information and picture! I’ll look today to see if there’s a wood block down there. I don’t think there is but will look. Just curious what’s the big tube next to the white pump? Mine doesn’t have that.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore

Lots of info and pics on this thread. Bracket to transom style works well. No holes drilled in the bottom of the boat.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
thank you for the information and picture! I’ll look today to see if there’s a wood block down there. I don’t think there is but will look. Just curious what’s the big tube next to the white pump? Mine doesn’t have that.

I have the wiring to the pump coming in one side and then the water outflow on the other side of the pump.
You can barely see the factory mounted block under the red pump.
As I said, if I had only one pump in the boat it would be mechanically fastened to an wood block that I'd epoxy to the bottom of the hull.
I am OK with my back up pump being glued down, I check it often.

MJF

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I just replaced the float switch in my 1985 Tournament. What a pain in the ass. It took me 2 days but it felt more like 20.

There’s some kind of metal plate on the bottom of the bilge in my boat. Not sure if that’s factory or not. There was a piece of wood glued down that had rotted away. I cut a new piece and glued it down and screwed the pump and switch into that. Works fine but it won’t last forever. A bracket screwed into the transom is a good idea. Wish I had seen that thread earlier

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don't know about 1985, but in most Gradys you won't see the wood block. What you will see is a flat square or rectangle, that has been glassed over. The wood is underneath.