1987 228 Seafarer Aluminum tank and Fuel lines replacement

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I didn't see this thread when it was fresh. I am amazed that the fuel fill hoses and such were original. My 12 year old original hoses by MPI dry rotted just below the deck fitting . I ,of course , replaced the fuel fill and vent hoses. I also replaced the scupper drain hoses, the washdown hoses ( which were leaking and cracked ) and the live well hoses . it's impressive these lasted so long. your work was also impressive.

Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I didn't see this thread when it was fresh. I am amazed that the fuel fill hoses and such were original. My 12 year old original hoses by MPI dry rotted just below the deck fitting . I ,of course , replaced the fuel fill and vent hoses. I also replaced the scupper drain hoses, the washdown hoses ( which were leaking and cracked ) and the live well hoses . it's impressive these lasted so long. your work was also impressive.
Thanking you Smoky~

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Leeccoll,
Thanks for sharing the process with us. I am wondering if you would mind sharing the cost of the new tank? Thanks for all the pictures and information. Brad
No problem. Paul at Patriot Marine did a great build on my new tank.

Cost just under $800 + Shipping.

Reactions: Ryhlick

Weso

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great post. I think I'm gonna be in your shoes here quick 1990 22 seafarer.

Travis Auer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Im new to this forum and just bought a 1984 Seafarer. I have been reading the procedures for removing the fuel tank and replacing the hoses. I have an aluminum fuel tank that is 98 gallons that is original in the boat. My tank is located in the rear of the boat closer to the transom. All the pictures I have seen the tanks are near the center of the boat closer to the cabin door. Has anybody seen a tank located like mine? Or is this a custom job.

Travis Auer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah mine was modified, so ill set it to 90 until i can get a full fill...thanks!
I only have the rear tank. Where are your front smaller tank is mine is a storage hatch. I’m trying to find out if that was factory. Thank you for the picture.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Travis,

Seems Grady placed the main tank in the forward coffin some years, and like yours in the aft by the transom. I think yours probably is factory, buy only one way to find out, pull off the deck plate. The tank removal process remains the same regardless of location.

Good luck~

Cfarer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
leeccoll, I hate to resurrect this thread, but I have a 1988 Seafarer 228 and I am about to undertake this project (not the tank, just the lines). By myself, with no help no less. I fueled the boat up tonight to prepare for a trip tomorrow and noticed a strong smell of fuel in the bilge, mostly the starboard side. Repowered in 2019 with a Suzuki 250 and new fuel tank, but whoever did so did not replace any of the fuel lines. Criminal. I have to assume the leak is in the fill, though I cant actually locate it. Its very strange because there is no smell near the tank or the fill.. only the bilge. I can't nail it down.

I plan on replacing every fuel line on the boat. I have researched this and read your thread. I am hoping you can offer some advice, such as the length of fill/vent line I should purchase and the diameter, if you remember. Also, what did you use to cut into the side of the coffin? I imagine you used a hole saw to create the access hole. Are there any supplies that you wish you had when you started the job? Any tips on how to snake the new lines? I greatly appreciate your help, I can't afford to have this job done and I would like to repair my boat as soon as possible.

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
leeccoll, I hate to resurrect this thread, but I have a 1988 Seafarer 228 and I am about to undertake this project (not the tank, just the lines). By myself, with no help no less. I fueled the boat up tonight to prepare for a trip tomorrow and noticed a strong smell of fuel in the bilge, mostly the starboard side. Repowered in 2019 with a Suzuki 250 and new fuel tank, but whoever did so did not replace any of the fuel lines. Criminal. I have to assume the leak is in the fill, though I cant actually locate it. Its very strange because there is no smell near the tank or the fill.. only the bilge. I can't nail it down.

I plan on replacing every fuel line on the boat. I have researched this and read your thread. I am hoping you can offer some advice, such as the length of fill/vent line I should purchase and the diameter, if you remember. Also, what did you use to cut into the side of the coffin? I imagine you used a hole saw to create the access hole. Are there any supplies that you wish you had when you started the job? Any tips on how to snake the new lines? I greatly appreciate your help, I can't afford to have this job done and I would like to repair my boat as soon as possible.
Cfarer,
I don’t remember exactly how long the lines were. If I had to guess I think I purchased 8’ of each from West Marine for the vent and fill, and 12’ for the fuel line. When you get your hoses out, you can just measure.
I did use a hole saw attachment on my drill to cut into the coffin, then a Sawzall to make the larger rectangular cut to get enough room for my hand to reach the stuck fill hose. I wish I could tell you the job is easy, but just try to be patient when things get tough. I definitely recommend pulling the old hoses “up” through the gunwale to give you the most leverage. The vent line was fairly easy, the fuel was a bear though. Drill a hole through it and attach a large screwdriver or something similar so you can use both hands pull out the fill hose. And go slow and steady.
Good luck,
Lee

Reactions: Cfarer

Cfarer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You can do it! Mine took an afternoon. Had same issue with gas leaking below floor.
I hope so. I am just trying to confirm the diameters and lengths needed, as I need to order everything. Can't find them in stock anywhere. The current plan is to order 9' fuel fill hose at 1.5 inch diameter, 9' of fuel vent hose at 5/8 (I think its 5/8 but need to confirm). I should mention I only have the main tank in my boat, someone removed the auxiliary. So I will only be replacing the main fill/vent hoses.

The 3/8 fuel line from tank to water separator is easy, no issue there. I am also going to replace the gray fuel line from the separator to the motor. Can't believe this wasn't done during the repower. I do wish I could simply remove the fuel vent and fill hoses to measure, but from what I understand the only way this will work is by snaking the new line behind the old one as I pull it out. So I need the parts first. Thanks for the help and the votes of confidence. I really want to get this done!

Cfarer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Cfarer,
I don’t remember exactly how long the lines were. If I had to guess I think I purchased 8’ of each from West Marine for the vent and fill, and 12’ for the fuel line. When you get your hoses out, you can just measure.
I did use a hole saw attachment on my drill to cut into the coffin, then a Sawzall to make the larger rectangular cut to get enough room for my hand to reach the stuck fill hose. I wish I could tell you the job is easy, but just try to be patient when things get tough. I definitely recommend pulling the old hoses “up” through the gunwale to give you the most leverage. The vent line was fairly easy, the fuel was a bear though. Drill a hole through it and attach a large screwdriver or something similar so you can use both hands pull out the fill hose. And go slow and steady.
Good luck,
Lee
Figured I owed you all an update. It was a two day affair, but the fill, vent, and every inch of feed line on the boat has been replaced. I planned on following your lead of pulling the fill from the top. I cut the 6 inch access hole around the same location you did.. maybe a bit higher. I noticed my fill line was in far, far worse shape than yours. There was no way I could pull it from the top, it disintegrated as I did so. If I used a screwdriver for leverage, or if I even man handled it a bit, it was going to let go. It seemed hopeless to pull from the bottom, too. My fuel tank is new, so I did not remove it. It was slightly in the way to make the cut I wanted to. I couldn't get the fill line to even budge from either end. I tried dish soap etc, no luck. After several hours, I gave up before I had a heat stroke.

Round two was today. I used a saw to cut into the coffin, basically from the place the fill line entered to about 7 inches to the right. I made a large rectangle which allowed me to see and manipulate the angle the fill line went. I attached a pvc coupler and glued the old fill line to the new from the top end, then wrapped in duct tape. I carefully fed the weak part of the fill downwards, as I pulled from the bottom. I was shocked when it actually started moving. Once I got some momentum, it was game over. I had it out within 5 minutes, and I had it cut and installed in 20. The vent line was a breeze. Reinstalled hose clamps, buttoned up the floor, and I was done.

Thanks for the help and for posting your tutorial, some of the tips and tricks I learned proved invaluable. The glued pvc coupler plus duct tape is a great idea and worked well, even with my severely rotten line. Just need to change my fuel filter and I'm ready for the water again.

Cfarer