1987 228 Seafarer Aluminum tank and Fuel lines replacement

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I did away with my anti siphon valve, straight through fitting now. Test ran it and saw no ill effects from not having it. Nice to know the possibility of a restriction has been eliminated at least in that spot. I've done all my boats this way since I've been boating. An old, seasoned mechanic told me about removing them years ago.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I get that, my boat's old tank didn't have one. I'm gonna buy an extra fitting like you have and keep it on the boat. Would be a fairly easy swap on the water. Just more things that can go south.

I think you benefit from less fuel restriction to your motor. I was really on the fence with adding it, truth be told, I just wanted to get the boat out again instead of waiting on another part.

Anyway, boat is running like a champ, awaiting my next hurdle ;)

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I get that, my boat's old tank didn't have one. I'm gonna buy an extra fitting like you have and keep it on the boat. Would be a fairly easy swap on the water. Just more things that can go south.

I think you benefit from less fuel restriction to your motor. I was really on the fence with adding it, truth be told, I just wanted to get the boat out again instead of waiting on another part.

Anyway, boat is running like a champ, awaiting my next hurdle ;)

I know that feeling. It's good to get back out on the water after a big project is completed. I'm Florida for the next 10 days and will fill up both tanks in the morning. That's when I found my leak in auxiliary tank last year. I actually just punched the check ball out of the original anti-siphons since the barb was bigger than what I could buy.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
That looks awesome. I'm assuming you replaced all the hoses. Where does the vent hose go to on the opposite end of the tank? My tank was done in 2015 but I want to make sure my vent hose isn't clogged, Thanks.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That looks awesome. I'm assuming you replaced all the hoses. Where does the vent hose go to on the opposite end of the tank? My tank was done in 2015 but I want to make sure my vent hose isn't clogged, Thanks.

Not sure of your question, there are 3 hoses.

Yes I replaced all the hoses.

The 2 up front on the tank are the fuel fill that goes up to the gas fill where you pump in fuel, and the other next to it is the vent line. The single hose in the rear of the tank is the fuel line that goes to the engines.

If you ever want to test your vent line being clogged, just overfill your tank and gas will come out the side of the boat right next to the gas fill there is a small downward vent. It will come out there. I wouldn't think that the vent getting clogged is very likely to occur, there is a mesh screen inside the vent valve on the side of the boat I spoke of so no critters can get up in there. Can't imagine anything wanting to sniff gas vapors all the time.

If I did not answer your question, circle back please.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Thanks,

I am glad I did it. Really pulling out the main fuel fill was a total PIA because of how it snaked around in my boat. Right up there with replacing the bow eye cleat. LOL if u did that too!
The bow eye cleat and anchor cleat bracket in the bow was probably one of the hardest things on my restoration, my big hands and forearms don't fit well in that tight space. The original bracket was a pile of crumbled rust in the forward storage compartment, nothing left of it at all. I feel great knowing it is now made of stainless!

Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I remember trying to get a little hacksaw in the access hole to cut out the rusted out bracket too. Fun times!

UCPA111

Reaction score
Received new tank yesterday. Thanking Shaun (UCPA111) -I think that stands for U See Pennsylvania...I grew up outside Pittsburgh. And Paul Spisak from Patriot Marine Fabricating in NJ for making such a nice looking tank that was tested to USCG standards, and packaged superbly for transit across the country. He also welded an extra plate where my fuel sending unit goes-I appreciate that.

I used my friend's house to do the work that doesn't have an aggressive HOA (I got a letter in 2 days from having my boat in front of my house :mad:)

Dry fit the new tank in the coffin. Figured out how thick the side and end spacers should be, then cut a PVC board for spacers, clamped and glued so the would be easier to install. Marked where I wanted the spacers to go for the side lag bolts.

Used 5200 to attach the closed cell neoprene to the wood supports that go on top of the tank. Then glued the strips to the bottom of the coffin. Opposite of what Davis Pascoe suggests for an install, but in my case the fiberglass pads that the tank sits on were a bit uneven and I want the tank to sit solidly on the bottom, so I could adjust the strips to the contours of the existing pads.

Tomorrow will install the new tank into coffin :eek:

Glad it all worked well. I am super happy with how mine turned out. Hose replacement was difficult! I too read about coating vs not coating the tanks. My boat was 33 years old when I replaced the tank. It definitely had water in the compartment. I currently store boat indoors and the compartment is bone dry. Water trapped between the tank and something else will yield corrosion. Since I don't have risk of that, I am fine with tank being uncoated. If you have coating failure, it can trap moisture. Horse a piece.

I live in Union City, PA (30 minutes SE of ERIE PA). Hence the UC PA name. :) 20190629_164152.jpg

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Glad it all worked well. I am super happy with how mine turned out. Hose replacement was difficult! I too read about coating vs not coating the tanks. My boat was 33 years old when I replaced the tank. It definitely had water in the compartment. I currently store boat indoors and the compartment is bone dry. Water trapped between the tank and something else will yield corrosion. Since I don't have risk of that, I am fine with tank being uncoated. If you have coating failure, it can trap moisture. Horse a piece.

I live in Union City, PA (30 minutes SE of ERIE PA). Hence the UC PA name. :) View attachment 7917

Agreed, everybody's situation and needs are definitely a consideration. I'm a big fan of keeping the job as simple as possible to get "workmanlike quality" when complete.

Like your boat's name~ Very appropriate

Reactions: UCPA111

UCPA111

Reaction score
The bow eye cleat and anchor cleat bracket in the bow was probably one of the hardest things on my restoration, my big hands and forearms don't fit well in that tight space. The original bracket was a pile of crumbled rust in the forward storage compartment, nothing left of it at all. I feel great knowing it is now made of stainless!
I had to replace mine as well. Rusted apart. It was DIFFICULT. My Dad and I welded a heavy duty aluminum bracket together and it was a squeaker to get it in. Then, tightening the cleat bolt and bolts was another fun time! You have to be a contortionist and ignore the pain...LOL!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had to replace mine as well. Rusted apart. It was DIFFICULT. My Dad and I welded a heavy duty aluminum bracket together and it was a squeaker to get it in. Then, tightening the cleat bolt and bolts was another fun time! You have to be a contortionist and ignore the pain...LOL!
Roger that, plus I did mine in high summer heat. That cuddy has zero air circulation. You definitely did a more substantial fix than I did. I got some aluminum braces from Home Depot, and 2 cartridges of West System Six10 from West Marine. 2 part epoxy that is thickened and self mixes as you squeeze through the caulk gun. Squirted that all over the inside hull where the cleat goes in then smeared it by hand wearing a latex glove. then got the braces in along with the new bow eye, tightened up the inside before the epoxy cured (it's like 40 mins working time) then used second tube of Six10 to cover the outside of the braces to the fiberglass.

I used 5200 on the outside of the boat on the bracket and bolts to keep out water intrusion into the hull.

Maybe overkill, but I don't wanna ever tackle that project again.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Roger that, plus I did mine in high summer heat. That cuddy has zero air circulation. You definitely did a more substantial fix than I did. I got some aluminum braces from Home Depot, and 2 cartridges of West System Six10 from West Marine. 2 part epoxy that is thickened and self mixes as you squeeze through the caulk gun. Squirted that all over the inside hull where the cleat goes in then smeared it by hand wearing a latex glove. then got the braces in along with the new bow eye, tightened up the inside before the epoxy cured (it's like 40 mins working time) then used second tube of Six10 to cover the outside of the braces to the fiberglass.

I used 5200 on the outside of the boat on the bracket and bolts to keep out water intrusion into the hull.

Maybe overkill, but I don't wanna ever tackle that project again.

LOL! Gotta love working on these things. I mixed up epoxy and fiber and created a bed for it...so it was just as you say!!!

coffeydp

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Can anyone tell me how many gallons the original tank in that spot holds? I have an '89 228G and it was modified by a PO who removed the primary tank in lue of a fish box and had a tank made for the aux fuel/water tank area, but cant see the label from the inspection port. The floor panel is still the original and the tank fills that whole area underneath. Looking for a rough figure until i get the nerve to run her dry and fill her all the way up!

Sully4755

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how many gallons the original tank in that spot holds? I have an '89 228G and it was modified by a PO who removed the primary tank in lue of a fish box and had a tank made for the aux fuel/water tank area, but cant see the label from the inspection port. The floor panel is still the original and the tank fills that whole area underneath. Looking for a rough figure until i get the nerve to run her dry and fill her all the way up!
93 gallons primary, I believe aux. was 43 or 45 gallons

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
In my replacement, the newly fabricated tank is slightly narrower than the original for installation ease, so it holds 90 gallons now, but Sully is correct in 93 gallons original.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Leeccoll,
Thanks for sharing the process with us. I am wondering if you would mind sharing the cost of the new tank? Thanks for all the pictures and information. Brad