1988 Seafarer 226 fuel tank access

Ultimate42

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
New owner, first time poster. Bought her in Homestead, FL and drove her on 95 to Morehead City, NC. The trip seems to have stirred up a bunch of gunk in the tank and we're having fuel starving issues. The tank needs to be cleaned, but currently there's just the hole for the sending unit. Has anyone cut an access hole and replaced with an aluminum cover? I'd like to be able to pull the pick up tube and I'd like to do seasonal cleaning. I have had the engine die several times in the worst places and I don't want that to happen anymore. Any suggestions or pictures of mods?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As old as the boat is and you have verified that there is loose gunk in the tank, I would say the only way to get a really good job of cleaning done is to remove the tank. Once it is cleaned inside and out, it can be pressure tested for leaks, inspected for corrosion and barrier coated before reinstallation.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Given the age of the tanks they probably should be replaced. If you go through all the trouble to get the tanks out they definitely should be replaced. Don't put any money into 32 year old tanks! Unless of course you can DIY.

Seasonal cleaning is overkill. Install Sierra clear bowl filters and monitor water/gunk. Empty out before it gets too high. This filter can help you clean the tanks out too. Just make sure you slosh the fuel around by running around, stirring everything up, burn some fuel and getting it up into the filter.

I have had success testing my empty tanks by pressurizing the tank with an automotive smoke machine. My 24 year old tanks are on my todo list but after testing I decided the tanks were good and decided to wait. Here is my project thread if you decide to go that way.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So there isn't a large (5' long, give or take) screwed-down hatch over the tank?

For now, you can just install another access plate over the pickup tube.

Yeah, skip the seasonal cleaning thing. Not that it's bad, of course, just really isn't necessary. I use the Racor brand clear bowl - but any version of this is better than a regular spin-on filter with no bowl.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Just pull the deck up. It should be inspected anyway for water intrusion.

SoLucky

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I believe the OP is asking about cutting a hole in the fuel tank itself to improve access for inspection purposes. Cutting a hole in a gas tank can be very, very dangerous. Any spark or too much heat will lead to a disastrous outcome, even if you have pumped all the gas out. The fumes remaining in the tank will explode. There are much safer options. I recommend making the small investment in a boroscope. There are some decent options on Amazon, including very affordable units that use your smartphone as the display. Good luck.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I believe the OP is asking about cutting a hole in the fuel tank itself to improve access for inspection purposes. Cutting a hole in a gas tank can be very, very dangerous. Any spark or too much heat will lead to a disastrous outcome, even if you have pumped all the gas out. The fumes remaining in the tank will explode. There are much safer options. I recommend making the small investment in a boroscope. There are some decent options on Amazon, including very affordable units that use your smartphone as the display. Good luck.

Ultimate42 - Ignore all this nonsense. Lift the deck. The DESPTECH is a POS. Mine is in the garbage. Don't pull the pickup hose. Do it all thru the sending unit or just pump out thru pickup hose.

Ultimate42

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ultimate42 - Ignore all this nonsense. Lift the deck. The DESPTECH is a POS. Mine is in the garbage. Don't pull the pickup hose. Do it all thru the sending unit or just pump out thru pickup hose.

Ultimate42

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I appreciate all of the feedback. I finally decided to remove the floor hatch, empty the tank, removed it, filled it will soapy water and let it rinse for about an hour. Drained some of the water out, put more dish soap in and filled it to the top again. Laid out my lines and using a circular saw, cut a 8"x10 hole in the tank around the pick up tubes and sending unit. I drilled out the pick up tubes and templated a new piece of aluminum for the tubes and SU. Had the plate and tubes welded on, disconnected and blew out all of my fuel lines and replaced the filters. Did all of that in three days. Got her back in the water today and she ran like a scalded dog. Couldn't be happier with the decision to take out the tank and cut it open. There was plastic, rubber pieces, shells, rocks, and a ton of leaf/grass debris. I'm assuming that whoever replaced the original tank, got one from a salvage yard and didn't know to clean the debris out of it. Not sure how some of it got in there, otherwise.

Attachments

• 20210527_190716.jpg
    20210527_190716.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 20210527_191532.jpg
    20210527_191532.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 20210527_200029.jpg
    20210527_200029.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • 20210530_180043.jpg
    20210530_180043.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20210531-215840_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210531-215840_Photos.jpg
    941.3 KB · Views: 25

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Nice job!

While it was out did you look at the fuel compartment? Was there a drain? Was it plugged?

Ultimate42

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice job!

While it was out did you look at the fuel compartment? Was there a drain? Was it plugged?
There was a drain and it was not plugged. All debris was vacuumed out and compartment was scrubbed and cleaned. I appreciate the feedback.