1997 Grady 209 Escape

ESL12

Reaction score
Newbie here. I’m looking at a 97 209 with a 97 Yamaha saltwater series 2 150 with about 550 hours. 2018 trailer too they are asking 20k. I haven’t looked at it yet but per pics and conversation it looks to be a pretty clean and solid boat only issue is the live well pump needs to be replaced. I’m on Long Island NY and will 90% be in the South Bay with 2-6 people. 2 adults up to 4 kids under 11. At advice would be appreciated. Long time boater but first time owner here! Thoughts? Pics are from the listing.

Attachments

• 4EEE79BD-0B8D-44D6-ACFE-96CB9561FE83.jpeg
    4EEE79BD-0B8D-44D6-ACFE-96CB9561FE83.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 7EFEA782-D288-4197-9D89-18E2FC36155C.jpeg
    7EFEA782-D288-4197-9D89-18E2FC36155C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • D8F61E9A-A913-4545-BF63-4E7B6197E542.jpeg
    D8F61E9A-A913-4545-BF63-4E7B6197E542.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 5BC8D90F-402E-4A03-82E0-235F533679C5.jpeg
    5BC8D90F-402E-4A03-82E0-235F533679C5.jpeg
    977 KB · Views: 25

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Looks like a nice boat that seems to have been cared for. I would have to say $20k is a little spendy at the end of the season and for the age, but there’s been upward price pressure for 2 years, so not surprised. I’d get a survey- the $1k to spend could identify expensive issues, and could provide you some negotiating leverage. At a minimum check engine compression (or get a mechanic to do it) and look closely at the transom for any signs of water intrusion. Trailer looks newer. Ask if the boat spends time in a slip or has been trailered during its life. Ask if the fuel tank has been replaced, that could be overdue. Definitely do a sea trial and open up the engine for a bit. Check functionality of all switches and gauges.

Reactions: ESL12

ESL12

Reaction score
Looks like a nice boat that seems to have been cared for. I would have to say $20k is a little spendy at the end of the season and for the age, but there’s been upward price pressure for 2 years, so not surprised. I’d get a survey- the $1k to spend could identify expensive issues, and could provide you some negotiating leverage. At a minimum check engine compression (or get a mechanic to do it) and look closely at the transom for any signs of water intrusion. Trailer looks newer. Ask if the boat spends time in a slip or has been trailered during its life. Ask if the fuel tank has been replaced, that could be overdue. Definitely do a sea trial and open up the engine for a bit. Check functionality of all switches and gauges.
Thank you! I plan to look at it and bring a mechanic friend with me! I was thinking of offering $18. I could be naive here but in this market I feel that price is a pretty good deal assuming no major issues of course. Overall though is this a quality boat? Made well? Is a 97 all fiberglass? I know quality depends on how well it was maintained but if I assumed decent maintenance is the 97 209 a known quality boat. Safe and large enough for a family of 6. Keep in mind 6 would be 4 kids under 11 and on occasion. I can easily see the entire fam won’t go out all the time.

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I'm surprised a northerner is considering a cc. That's a Florida boat all the way.

That said, for boating with kids I would want a walk around so there's a place to nap or get out of the cold and there's room for a porta potti. Never been on a 209, is there room in the console for a porta potti?

Reactions: glacierbaze

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thank you! I plan to look at it and bring a mechanic friend with me! I was thinking of offering $18. I could be naive here but in this market I feel that price is a pretty good deal assuming no major issues of course. Overall though is this a quality boat? Made well? Is a 97 all fiberglass? I know quality depends on how well it was maintained but if I assumed decent maintenance is the 97 209 a known quality boat. Safe and large enough for a family of 6. Keep in mind 6 would be 4 kids under 11 and on occasion. I can easily see the entire fam won’t go out all the time.
I think you would be very happy with this boat with your size family. I don’t have experience with this specific model but I love a 20’ CC - versatile and simple. Likely has a max of 8 people - should be a sticker on the inside of the boat probably by the helm with max weight/people. Many GW owners have had to deal with transom water intrusion so thats something to look for. Look at everything with a critical eye - check inside the bilge and look for any delamination on the stringers and look closely around the engine mount bolts. I would assume the engine has limited value at almost 25 years - if you get another 5 years, that’s probably the best you can hope for - that said - my dad has a 98 engine on his 20’ CC and it runs very strong still with regular maintenance.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I'm surprised a northerner is considering a cc. That's a Florida boat all the way.
Personally I would say in cape cod you see FAR more CCs than WAs. NY weather is not much different. It’s a 6 month season at best, but the weather is often even better in the summer in the NE area than FL imo (not trying to cause a stir with those that love the FL heat). Valid points on the porto, but if you’re not going out for 6+ hours a day, you can get around it.

ESL12

Reaction score
Thanks all! Keep the info coming I really appreciate it!! Good point in the porta potty. I haven’t laid eyes in it yet but from brief research I don’t believe there is a good spot for one… Here on LI CC seem to more common then most other boats. So much so that it seems to reflect in price. I’ve seen 200-2003 24’ Sea Ray express for the same prices as 19-20’ CC. Obviously quality and brand play into this too. I’ve heard Grady’s are about as good as you can get. I’m not sure I’d want to fish off a cabin cruiser.. it would drive me nuts cleaning everything after wards versus a CC hose down. I’m new to buying and owning. Spent the last 30 years in family owned boats but most have gotten older and sold. It’s my turn now. I know repairs and maintenance are normal and frequent at times. Im just looking for quality that with good regular babying will hopefully last for years of fun.

Reactions: PointedRose

seasick

Reaction score
The Saltwater 150 does not store hours. There is no way to verify the actual motor hours.
It can be quite hard to determine condition from looking at a few pictures. Problems like water intrusion, transom issues, stringer issues, rotten wiring etc, will not show.
The motor being 25 years old has very little value. The trailer has some decent value if everything is basically solid and working. The SX150 is a great motor but again you can't judge its condition by looking at photos.The motor being 25 years old has very little value.
Who are you talking to? Is it the owner or is it a broker? There are a few red flags that I look for but two are high on my list: A really dirty , not well kept boat. If the boat was not cared for, the owner probably didn't do proper mechanical maintenance either. The second red flag is not cast in stone but always gets my hairs up:) If an older boat like this one looks too clean, I usually assume it was detailed by a broker and that can be a problem, if issues were covered up. So look past the obvious and check the bilge, under the helm, anchor locker, hardtop mounting and welds, canvas if any, undersides of cushions, etc.
With regard to carrying 6 passengers; If you run into rough seas or rain, most of your passengers will get wet, Even on nice day, they might get wet. That may or may not be an issue but having a place to change clothes or wet bathing suits as well as a place to do one's business may be a concern. As mentioned, small tots like to nap and this CC is not built for that.
Good luck with your search.

ESL12

Reaction score
The Saltwater 150 does not store hours. There is no way to verify the actual motor hours.
It can be quite hard to determine condition from looking at a few pictures. Problems like water intrusion, transom issues, stringer issues, rotten wiring etc, will not show.
The motor being 25 years old has very little value. The trailer has some decent value if everything is basically solid and working. The SX150 is a great motor but again you can't judge its condition by looking at photos.The motor being 25 years old has very little value.
Who are you talking to? Is it the owner or is it a broker? There are a few red flags that I look for but two are high on my list: A really dirty , not well kept boat. If the boat was not cared for, the owner probably didn't do proper mechanical maintenance either. The second red flag is not cast in stone but always gets my hairs up:) If an older boat like this one looks too clean, I usually assume it was detailed by a broker and that can be a problem, if issues were covered up. So look past the obvious and check the bilge, under the helm, anchor locker, hardtop mounting and welds, canvas if any, undersides of cushions, etc.
With regard to carrying 6 passengers; If you run into rough seas or rain, most of your passengers will get wet, Even on nice day, they might get wet. That may or may not be an issue but having a place to change clothes or wet bathing suits as well as a place to do one's business may be a concern. As mentioned, small tots like to nap and this CC is not built for that.
Good luck with your search.
Thank you! Very good info! I’ve spoken to the owner and not a broker. It’s in his driveway. I have not set eyes in it yet but plan too soon. Your point about changing and doing your business I agree with. It’s the only reason I’ve gone back and forth in my head about a CC or a Cabin Cruiser. I actually just came across another boat 2003 Mako 23ft CC. With a Honda 225 on it and it’s 3k less! Any boat I look at is take my mechanic friend and I’d open every hatch, turn every dial and play with everything like a kid in a toy store. I don’t mind repairs. I just don’t want surprises! Anyone have preference between a 97 Grady 209 CC with a Yamaha 150 versus a 03 Mako 23 CC with a Honda 225?

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Anyone have preference between a 97 Grady 209 CC with a Yamaha 150 versus a 03 Mako 23 CC with a Honda 225?
You would probably enjoy the extra horsepower. Makos seem to need a floor replaced as often as Grady’s need transom work. I think Makos changed ownership at some point and I had heard quality wasn’t the same after the ownership change but I don’t have personal experience with it.

Last edited:

ESL12

Reaction score
Does the Mako have a porta pottie under the console? 4 kids under 11, boys or girls?
The Mako I’m not 100% sure. It says it comes with a portable one and then separately mentions the console had a door with a large enough area for an electric porta. I haven’t gone to see it yet. For kids. 3 boys 11, 9,9 and one girl 10. ( I have two and my girlfriend has two. ).

captain swag

Reaction score
My son has a 1999 version of the 209. 2020 Zuk 200. That boat can handle some rough water for its size. He goes 65miles to the stream regularly. The economy is phenominal too.
Lose the impeller livewell pump and go back with a diaphram pump....trust me

ESL12

Reaction score
My son has a 1999 version of the 209. 2020 Zuk 200. That boat can handle some rough water for its size. He goes 65miles to the stream regularly. The economy is phenominal too.
Lose the impeller livewell pump and go back with a diaphram pump....trust me
I’m your opinion or your sons opinion is the 97 worth 20k? Again assuming it’s solid. I know condition plays a big role in price. I haven’t gone to see it yet in person to confidently say it’s solid.

Greatty

Reaction score
Definitely agree with transom and fuel tank concerns from above. Also, the SS150 is a great motor but wonder if the 209 is underpowered? If it were me nothing less than a 175 for that hull. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

captain swag

Reaction score
Definitely agree with transom and fuel tank concerns from above. Also, the SS150 is a great motor but wonder if the 209 is underpowered? If it were me nothing less than a 175 for that hull. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
I’m your opinion or your sons opinion is the 97 worth 20k? Again assuming it’s solid. I know condition plays a big role in price. I haven’t gone to see it yet in person to confidently say it’s solid.
Not 20k with a 97 150. 18K if the trailer is decent and if it has the canvas covered hardtop frame. Used boat prices are through the roof. Many name brands are selling 6 yrs later at new or more than new prices. No availability. But I would start at 17K and dicker price. They are tough boats.

seasick

Reaction score
Thank you! Very good info! I’ve spoken to the owner and not a broker. It’s in his driveway. I have not set eyes in it yet but plan too soon. Your point about changing and doing your business I agree with. It’s the only reason I’ve gone back and forth in my head about a CC or a Cabin Cruiser. I actually just came across another boat 2003 Mako 23ft CC. With a Honda 225 on it and it’s 3k less! Any boat I look at is take my mechanic friend and I’d open every hatch, turn every dial and play with everything like a kid in a toy store. I don’t mind repairs. I just don’t want surprises! Anyone have preference between a 97 Grady 209 CC with a Yamaha 150 versus a 03 Mako 23 CC with a Honda 225?
You seem to be doing and asking the right things.
Regarding other comments, The 150 will work OK with 2 adults. It will be a tad sluggish with 4 kids depending on their weight of course. It will be very sluggish with 4 or more adults and will be a dog with that many passengers and a lot of gas.
Engine, I would prefer the Honda 225 assuming it is in good shape.
I have a 208 which is the same hull and I have a 2006 Mako project boat (. In my opinion, the fit and finish and quality of assembly and material selection on the Grady (2001 year) is superior to the Mako . Late model Makos rate highly but in the mid 2000,s Mako was in trouble and a lot of the more experienced staff, left or were let go. Quality suffered. I am not sure about 2005 year but 2006-7 are noted for for quality control and assemble issues ( electrical wiring was particularly poor)
That said, although I prefer Grady for quality, a longer vessel with a bigger engine might be a better fit for your needs. In this market the trailer on the 209 could fetch $2,000 tp $3500. Personally, I think that even $18,000 for the 209 is a bit high

ESL12

Reaction score
You seem to be doing and asking the right things.
Regarding other comments, The 150 will work OK with 2 adults. It will be a tad sluggish with 4 kids depending on their weight of course. It will be very sluggish with 4 or more adults and will be a dog with that many passengers and a lot of gas.
Engine, I would prefer the Honda 225 assuming it is in good shape.
I have a 208 which is the same hull and I have a 2006 Mako project boat (. In my opinion, the fit and finish and quality of assembly and material selection on the Grady (2001 year) is superior to the Mako . Late model Makos rate highly but in the mid 2000,s Mako was in trouble and a lot of the more experienced staff, left or were let go. Quality suffered. I am not sure about 2005 year but 2006-7 are noted for for quality control and assemble issues ( electrical wiring was particularly poor)
That said, although I prefer Grady for quality, a longer vessel with a bigger engine might be a better fit for your needs. In this market the trailer on the 209 could fetch $2,000 tp $3500. Personally, I think that even $18,000 for the 209 is a bit high
Thank you for this!! I appreciate this more then you may ever know! I’m love the look of the 209. But agree slightly bigger and more HP would serve me well. I ironically also came across another 209 with a 2017 Yamaha 200. However cosmetically it’s in worse shape and they are asking 22,500 with a 2007 trailer. I think both 209’s are a bit high in price I still have to lay eyes in them but I’m leaning more towards continuing my search.

seasick

Reaction score
Thank you for this!! I appreciate this more then you may ever know! I’m love the look of the 209. But agree slightly bigger and more HP would serve me well. I ironically also came across another 209 with a 2017 Yamaha 200. However cosmetically it’s in worse shape and they are asking 22,500 with a 2007 trailer. I think both 209’s are a bit high in price I still have to lay eyes in them but I’m leaning more towards continuing my search.
'Worse shape' is all relative.
The newer motor is a big plus and adds significant value. Was it a 6 cyl 200 or the I4, the later being a much better power option for older hulls.What year was the second 209?
The trailer may be OK, can't say but age is not the main factor. How it was maintained and what waters it was used in ( and how it was used, e.g twice a year for launch and haul or every weekend). How would you use your trailer?
Materials of the trailer make a difference such as aluminum rails, SS brakes, etc. The trailer should be the least of your concerns as compared to condition of the boat. Cosmetic condition is a different factor than mechanical and structural condition. Remember my mantra about older hulls that look too good:)