1997 Seafarer 22 question - Water coming in from stern deck drains

GWSeekerInCT

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I'm looking at a '97 Seafarer 22. During a test run, while not underway and at very slow speeds, water was coming in from the deck drains - approximately 2 inches of water. While underway, it drained out. This didn't seem normal to me. The guy selling didn't seem to know why it was happening either. Does anyone have experience with this happening? Otherwise, everything seemed good with it - nothing obvious anyway. I do plan on getting it surveyed.

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You're saying there was 2" of standing water on the deck when the boat was stationary?

Was there any visible object located in the stern adding weight? Can you also let us know what boat model (226/228) and engine?

These models can be subject to water coming in through the scuppers when people are fishing in the stern etc, but for there to be standing water on the deck without any extenuating factors is concerning. Hopefully there's an easy explanation.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Take a close look at the transom through hull drains. There should be a black rubber flap, which is hinged at the top, and it should be closed, unless there is water going OUT of the drain. The flaps keep water out of the boat, in theory, but may not be functioning due to age, stiffness, deformation, or they may not be there at all.
Take a photo of the transom through hulls at rest at the dock. Normal water line should be somewhere between the bottom and the top of that through hull fitting.
IMG_1472.jpeg

Last edited:

GWSeekerInCT

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Take a close look at the transom through hull drains. There should be a black rubber flap, which is hinged at the top, and it should be closed, unless there is water going OUT of the drain. The flaps keep water out of the boat, in theory, but may not be functioning due to age, stiffness, deformation, or they may not be there at all.
Take a photo of the transom through hulls at rest at the dock. Normal water line should be somewhere between the bottom and the top of that through hull fitting.
View attachment 30136
One of them was definitely deformed/ curled upward. I’ll go take another look and get pictures.

GWSeekerInCT

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
You're saying there was 2" of standing water on the deck when the boat was stationary?

Was there any visible object located in the stern adding weight? Can you also let us know what boat model (226/228) and engine?

These models can be subject to water coming in through the scuppers when people are fishing in the stern etc, but for there to be standing water on the deck without any extenuating factors is concerning. Hopefully there's an easy explanation.
Yes, my first thought was that the guy didn’t put the plug in, but he confirmed he did and double checked before heading to the water. Hmmm.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Had the same issue with the rubber scupper flappers just after purchasing my 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer back in early October of 2021, where I'd stand in the back of the boat and have water pooling in. I went to my local Grady White dealer, bought 3 new rubber scupper flappers, installed them and haven't had an issue since. I'm guessing that, as mentioned above, they were warped and were letting some water in when there was enough weight in the stern of the boat. At $10 a piece x 3, I'll likely just replaced them every season for better peace of mind and cheap insurance.

ttles714

Reaction score
The picture of that scupper has me confused .... That scupper is well below the water line and I can't imagine any builder would build a boat that way ... I had a 240 0ffshore with twin 150's and even with the "twin Transom upgrade" water would always come into the deck when there was weight in the back .. but NEVER if the boat was moving forward even at troll speed. .. At rest, and at the dock with full fuel the scuppers would be about 1 to 2 inches below the waterline Most times half the scupper would be below the waterline. This was a poor design ... poor engineering .... BUT that picture "just can't be right !!!! Questions >>> are there deck drains on the cockpit floor connected to those scuppers or are there transom / bulkhead through hulls connected ?? Is it possible that the scuppers were installed by a previous owner ?? Any thru hull fitting below the waterline should have a sea cock shut off.

Reactions: vocz

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I guess my concern is that if the boat were sitting correctly, water would stay out of the stern even if there were no scupper flaps. I get that water can wash onto the deck when someone stands back there or a wave rolls up from behind, but it seems like OP is describing a different issue (water pooling on deck with no load aft).

The drain lines from the deck to the scuppers run upwards from the transom moving forward, so wouldn't the scuppers have to be fully submerged and then some to allow this much water in?

ttles714

Reaction score
Ideally the scuppers would be above the waterline , and the drain would be even with the deck. so there is no resistance or back pressure on water trying to drain off the deck ... A scupper that is below the waterline will have issues ... I have a Marlin300 now... The aft deck drains are connected to scuppers (2 on each side) . These scuppers are well above the water line .. As I said , my 240 offshore was a lousy design with the scuppers located in a position bisecting the water line. With weight in the boat they were horrible and let water in ... I took off the rubber flapper and installed the "PING PONG" type scupper . That worked out better ... Maybe I am viewing the picture incorrectly but it seams to be that the scupper pictured is always under water . The only time that would drain is if there is no back pressure .. ( boat in motion causing a vacuum effect) sitting still, The water on the deck would have to provide more pressure than the water around the hull . That's not going to happen

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The photo is my SF 228, not the OP. There is nothing from the ideal world about Grady White’s scupper design, whether it be drainage, or access for service or replacement.
When the boat stays in the water, it is in a marina, which is exposed to Bogue sound, so the constant movement of the water does not always give a well defined water line. And it always starts out with a full tank of gas, and the livewell is often full in the slip.
The photo below shows a better resting waterline, (I guess the wind was out of the south that week)but it is still below the surface, as I think many, if not most, Grady’s probably are. It still drains water. I guess the energy of moving water overcomes the standing water outside the flap. Sort of like when you add water to a pan of water, it does not bounce off the surface.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
GWSeeker...

When you noticed the water coming in, was there a couple people back there in the aft section of the boat? And then... did more come over to look?

If there was extra weight in the stern, this is exactly what happens. The scuppers on the older GW's are typically very close to the waterline and it's normal for weight in the stern to push them under. The cockpit floor is barely above the waterline so it doesn't take much for water to back up.

No big deal - normal.

This has nothing to do with the "plug" (garboard drain plug). But there could have been water in the bilge, adding to the weight in the aft.

GWSeekerInCT

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I guess my concern is that if the boat were sitting correctly, water would stay out of the stern even if there were no scupper flaps. I get that water can wash onto the deck when someone stands back there or a wave rolls up from behind, but it seems like OP is describing a different issue (water pooling on deck with no load aft).

The drain lines from the deck to the scuppers run upwards from the transom moving forward, so wouldn't the scuppers have to be fully submerged and then some to allow this much water in?
The scuppers are pretty low and we’re most likely below the water line. A surveyor came out and the boat had a lot of moisture all over the hull and transom. He said because of all of the foam in the hull, it sucks moisture up and holds on to it.
I won’t be buying this one.

Attachments

• IMG_2583.jpeg
    IMG_2583.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2582.jpeg
    IMG_2582.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The scuppers are pretty low and we’re most likely below the water line. A surveyor came out and the boat had a lot of moisture all over the hull and transom. He said because of all of the foam in the hull, it sucks moisture up and holds on to it.
I won’t be buying this one.
For future reference...

-- It's actually not a problem for them to be below the waterline. They'll still drain if the cockpit floor is above the waterline.

-- The boat was just in the water, right? Putting a moisture meter on a boat that was just recently in the water is fruitless. Of course it's going to show wet - even if it "appears" dry to the touch. Not everyone with a moisture reader is deservent of the term "surveyor".

Reactions: Ryhlick

GWSeekerInCT

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
For future reference...

-- It's actually not a problem for them to be below the waterline. They'll still drain if the cockpit floor is above the waterline.

-- The boat was just in the water, right? Putting a moisture meter on a boat that was just recently in the water is fruitless. Of course it's going to show wet - even if it "appears" dry to the touch. Not everyone with a moisture reader is deservent of the term "surveyor".
They looked like they were in the right spot, but if I knew 100% what I was talking about, I wouldn’t be here. It just didn’t seem right to have standing water like that on the deck.
So, what would the moisture level be on a boat that was in the water last week? How quickly would it get to normal levels? The surveyor had nothing to gain. Are you saying it’s pointless I get a moisture reading done?

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They looked like they were in the right spot, but if I knew 100% what I was talking about, I wouldn’t be here. It just didn’t seem right to have standing water like that on the deck.
So, what would the moisture level be on a boat that was in the water last week? How quickly would it get to normal levels? The surveyor had nothing to gain. Are you saying it’s pointless I get a moisture reading done?
You did the right thing. It may be true that the scuppers being slightly under water isn't an issue, but I still fail to see how it wouldn't be concerning that they're so far under water that there's standing water on the deck while at rest. That, combined with a bad report from a surveyor, makes this an easy call to walk away from IMHO.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You did the right thing. It may be true that the scuppers being slightly under water isn't an issue, but I still fail to see how it wouldn't be concerning that they're so far under water that there's standing water on the deck while at rest. That, combined with a bad report from a surveyor, makes this an easy call to walk away from IMHO.
I'm not saying the boat is purchase-worthy or not - I'm not there to look at it. GWSeeker has gotta do what he feels is best.

However, we still don't know if the water was there AT REST, or not. I had inquired if people were standing back there and/or if there was water in the bilge, but didn't yet hear the answer.

GWSeekerInCT

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I'm not saying the boat is purchase-worthy or not - I'm not there to look at it. GWSeeker has gotta do what he feels is best.

However, we still don't know if the water was there AT REST, or not. I had inquired if people were standing back there and/or if there was water in the bilge, but didn't yet hear the answer.
No one standing near the transom and no water in the bilge. Water came in at rest and drained out once underway, coming back in whenever the boat was stopped or underway at very slow speed.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No one standing near the transom and no water in the bilge. Water came in at rest and drained out once underway, coming back in whenever the boat was stopped or underway at very slow speed.
I realize you're past this boat and this is a moot point, but thanks for clarifying as it's an interesting thing to happen.

If this was at "level" rest, and not with the bow elevated due to some engine power and trim high (which would essentially sink the stern), I "suspect" there may have been water in the bilge. Or, trapped water outside of the stringers in the foam. It would not be normal for water to be coming in at a true resting position.

GWSeekerInCT

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
It was at level rest- just after the boat was taken off the trailer. The water came right in. First thought and question was if the drain plug was in. It only drained out once we got up to speed.
And while I’ve moved in from this boat, it’s still a huge learning process. Any older boat is going to have its issues, it’s a matter of which ones I’m OK with. The surveyor said he was getting more calls from people selling-wanting help with price estimates, than buyers lately. He said there would likely be a lot of people who pandemic purchased selling in the next year.

Reactions: igblack87