1999 seafarer 228 makeover/ flush mount for 2 nine inch screens.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just completed a similar project over the weekend...

Attachments

• BD0FF85D-22E7-442B-BE6D-8EEF266776BE.jpeg
    BD0FF85D-22E7-442B-BE6D-8EEF266776BE.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 24
  • F8D67AEB-0E6A-4C4F-90DD-904E35DDB5E1.jpeg
    F8D67AEB-0E6A-4C4F-90DD-904E35DDB5E1.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Koz54 and Ky Grady

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Seeing the shine on your boat makes me feel like I have a friend. Been doing the same on a 2003. Sand with 1500 to 2000 grit wet sand and buff with a Makita 7" wool buffer using 3M finishIt compound wax. The inside is a bit more of a PIA. Using a 3" wool pad on my drill for the smaller spaces. You have it looking like new again though. Keep up the hard work.

Reactions: Timcan

Timcan

Reaction score
Don great work on dash it looks very clean, sometimes I wonder if I should have gone with one big unit.
My gelcoat was pretty bad in some areas I had to wet sand with 600 grit.
1st Presta cut compound( this stuff is amazing)
2nd 3m
3rd Polish

I forgot to mention I switched props from a Yamaha 3 blade 17 pitch to a PowerTech 4 blade 15 pitch prop. So far I like the PowerTech I can plane around 18mph( no tabs) and hole shot is amazing. The bite on the prop is great on turns and when it gets rough. Top end I lost 2 mph(from 43mph to 41mph)but in the Pacific Northwest you are happy to give that up for all the other positives.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just completed a similar project over the weekend...

Nice install Don!

I'm torn with making a full panel to cover the whole area, or do as you did with just the area for the display. How much trimming of the old box was required to fit that display?

Timcan,,,, I went from two Carbon 7's to a single Simrad 12 and have been very happy. Can see a split screen and details much better on the 12 than I ever could on the 2 individual screens. No regrets switching to the single unit.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice install Don!

I'm torn with making a full panel to cover the whole area, or do as you did with just the area for the display. How much trimming of the old box was required to fit that display?

Timcan,,,, I went from two Carbon 7's to a single Simrad 12 and have been very happy. Can see a split screen and details much better on the 12 than I ever could on the 2 individual screens. No regrets switching to the single unit.

Im debating between two 9s, or 1 12" screen....Your comment has me leaning to the single 12.
My concern is the screen height on the 9s being so similar to the 7's. I feel like I want the height more than the width, allowing to see farther ahead on the chart and more detail in the water column (at the cost of some sonar history). am i crazy?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Im debating between two 9s, or 1 12" screen....Your comment has me leaning to the single 12.
My concern is the screen height on the 9s being so similar to the 7's. I feel like I want the height more than the width, allowing to see farther ahead on the chart and more detail in the water column (at the cost of some sonar history). am i crazy?

Not crazy at all. My thoughts were 2 7's side by side would have the coverage of a 14. By the time I zoomed in to see good details on the chart, my field of view had shrunk down to hardly anything. With the single 12, I can see more detail and not have to zoom in. Hard to explain unless you can see it for yourself.

Here's my 7's and the single 12. The 12 is getting ready to be brought out of the box and flush mounted, but what you see of the 12 is the full screen, just the top trim piece is hidden by the box.

20170820_150351.jpg20201029_112536.jpg

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

I think it’s a preference on how you plan to use it. I just went with two 9s as I wanted to have a full display with side view and the other with some sort of downview. Splitting a 12 would make the side view really narrow.

Take a look at the specs though as I thought some devices let you change how you want to split it, either vertically or horizontally. Also, think about how you plan to use it. The opinion is split, I read a lot on THT before pulling the trigger. No right way.

You should also consider how big the 9s are as the GO9s barely let me install two side by side without cutting anything behind it. I think they have the smallest footprint except possibly for the new Garmin that looks very similar. At some point after 2000, I would not have been so lucky and it would have required more work. Just something else to take into account.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice install Don!

I have attached a photo of the cut area from the back, I was pretty nervous making the cut knowing I can‘t go back. I just lucked out with the purchase of the demo 12 inch unit, I was in the right place at the right time. I mounted it to the left to make room for other accessories later and to move away from the throttle shift lever as much as possible for the touch screen.

Attachments

• 1856AE00-FE35-4E7E-8649-513186A9B303.jpeg
    1856AE00-FE35-4E7E-8649-513186A9B303.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you sir!! Appreciate the picture. Doesn't look too bad of a cut.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The electronics look great. Kinda reminds me of the Mustang Mach E from a screen perspective - big and in your face!
Glass gel coat is coming along nice. This will be a yearly routine unfortunately but man it looks slick.

Fishtales

Reaction score
As for the high water alarm, there are a couple out there. The Johnson Pump is a decent unit (approx $60) and easy to install. I've had a sensor go bad after many years of use and have heard others have the same issue. So place it where it is effective and where you can get to it in the future if you can.

Dragginbait

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Timcan

Reaction score
I sent the welder a sketch of what I wanted and he built it. I’m in Northern California and he is in Canada but everything worked out like I wanted. Larry was great to work with https://dsswelding.ca/

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

Koz54

Reaction score
I think it’s a preference on how you plan to use it. I just went with two 9s as I wanted to have a full display with side view and the other with some sort of downview. Splitting a 12 would make the side view really narrow.

Take a look at the specs though as I thought some devices let you change how you want to split it, either vertically or horizontally. Also, think about how you plan to use it. The opinion is split, I read a lot on THT before pulling the trigger. No right way.

You should also consider how big the 9s are as the GO9s barely let me install two side by side without cutting anything behind it. I think they have the smallest footprint except possibly for the new Garmin that looks very similar. At some point after 2000, I would not have been so lucky and it would have required more work. Just something else to take into account.

Nice clean install! Good to know I can fit two GO9s there if I ever need to.

My single unit was smaller so I went with recessing the panel a little. I also didn't like the look of the wood grain panel that the gauges were mounted in so I made one to match. I moved the radio head unit to that panel too.

Had to build a frame to attach it to, but that was easy.

001.JPGIMG_3119.JPGIMG_3174.JPG

After completing this modification it allowed me to do one of the most inexpensive and useful modifications I've ever done. It was even easy to do. Getting rid of that swing up door that I never liked was a big plus. I was able to install a cup holder in an easily accessible location. Best $15 or so that I ever spent!!!!

Grady cupholder.jpg