2 micron Racors with bowls

SlimJim

Reaction score
Just checking to see if anyone has installed these on your boat? I have a 265 Express with HPDI's and just installed them and love them already. I wish I had installed them a long time ago. The boat ran very well with them. Andy at SIM told me he has 6 or 7 customers using them and they all report no problems. Just checking to see what you all have and think about them.

richie rich

Reaction score
haven't used them yet but I hear they do a great job keeping junk out of your engine. I currently use the 10 micron version but would have to change the mounting head to match up with the new filter thread and gasket. Will probably do that at repower in the near future. Are they much more expensive than the 10 micron?

SlimJim

Reaction score
richie rich said:
haven't used them yet but I hear they do a great job keeping junk out of your engine. I currently use the 10 micron version but would have to change the mounting head to match up with the new filter thread and gasket. Will probably do that at repower in the near future. Are they much more expensive than the 10 micron?
I was getting some small white crud in my VST tank and changing the VST filter too often (only on my port engine) it was getting by my 10 mircon spin on filter so I asked around and found out that some who were having the same problem went to the racors with the 2 microns and they were working out great. I have not heard anything bad as of yet about using them. They are a lot more $26ea filter but I hear they last up to 500 hours without change out. I bought 2 extras. The bowls cost me around $50ea. Check with Andy as you might not need to change your mounting head. Yes Tim I have heard that Yamaha uses 10 mircon, not sure what they have to say about 2 mircon. I find it funny that the VST Filter is 2 mircon but they say use a 10 micron for the spin on. I don't think they offer a 2 micron on the spin on.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
Jim

I think we got the fix finally!!!!

I'm putting the 2 in my boat also

I think all HPDI owners better do this ASAP

or else you will end up like JIMBO!

5 trips later to the boat, 3 VST filters, @ VST o-rings, @ HP fuel filters were used!!!

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I am putting the high pressure fuel filter in for the first time -
went thru 3 vst's already -
I want to put them in - do they spin onto the stock base?

Tim

downtown

Reaction score
2 microns

Had to clean the VST filters on both 250 ox 66's. Had the port changed last year, so I had concerns. Watched my mechanic do it. I could try it next time, but there are a couple of tricky elements.

Anyway, it's $110 a pop to pull that little plastic strainer and blow it out with air gun. I put in the 2 micron racors and we shall see if they help. Certainly would rather carry a spare filter and change it myself if my engine starts behaving erratically again.

SlimJim

Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
I am putting the high pressure fuel filter in for the first time -
went thru 3 vst's already -
I want to put them in - do they spin onto the stock base?

Tim
Tim, Yes they fit the base! You can do it yourself, the bowls just screw right on to the bottom of the filter (with a gasket as well that comes with the bowl) The filters come with some gaskets as well, just add the gasket to the top of the filter before you screw it it to the base. They seem to work very well. The boat ran very fast with them on and zero problems. I plan on running some trips this week and I will let you know if I have any issues. Andy has what you need in stock.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I wished Racor made the 2 micron replacement elements in the merc size so I can still keep my stainless heads.

Would try one motor out, and compare the VST filters from the 10 micron and 2 micron motors end of season. Then I'd know if it's coming from the fuel/ alum gas tank, or after the filter.

Nothing is ever easy!

Big hole in the ocean, getting bigger.

SlimJim

Reaction score
BobP said:
I wished Racor made the 2 micron replacement elements in the merc size so I can still keep my stainless heads.

Would try one motor out, and compare the VST filters from the 10 micron and 2 micron motors end of season. Then I'd know if it's coming from the fuel/ alum gas tank, or after the filter.

Nothing is ever easy!

Big hole in the ocean, getting bigger.
I agree with you Bob, but in my case I have only had a problem with the port engine/tank as far as the VST getting clogged. The strb VST tank and filter are always very clean and runs well. I only thing we could figure out was that the port has the lower pick up and thats why the port tank vst was getting clogged. I will run the boat and see what happens.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's strange.

The understanding I have to this date, is the crap bocking the VST screen (2 micron) is alumiunum oxide from the gas tank being eaten alive by ethanol gas, or occuring after the filter in the motor VST tank itself, perhaps because the VST tank is not grounded, some electrolysis action, or the like, or just sitting in there for some time or in the heat of the sun, involving the ethanol.

That's what I think today, tomorrow's another story.

I doubt your pickups are much different, however, you can swap the fuel hoses to each one and see if the opposite motor is effected.

Something esle I noticed the other day, the starboard motor zinc steering trim adjuster shows galvanic corrosion, not so with the port, both motors are always kept up, or down at the same time. Too bad not both VST had the same off white color crap on them.

And the off white stuff doesn't sink to the bottm, there was a fuel line stain on the VST tank float.

SlimJim

Reaction score
i had people telling me different things, one person said that it was happening in my VST tank but I told him, why does it only happen to my port engine vst tank then? Both engines were using the same tank? The little crud was brown almost like sand, when you crushed it, it turned into a fine white power. The VST Filter had white power covering it all 3 times. One person told me that if you have any water in your tank and e10 it will form little sand like crud and not mix with the gas? I had many other theories on what it could be and why.

SlimJim

Reaction score
i would think that if your vst tank is attached to your engine its grounded? Is it possible that the port vst tank is not grounded and the stb vst tank is grounded?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Dunk said the same thing over at THT, however, the tank has a three point mount with vibration isolation on each mount with rubber bushings and plastic sleeves, so the block bolts don't contact the tank, per say.

The mount may not be for vibration purposes, though, may be intentional for galvanic isolation or some isolation involving the pump motor.

I can check continuity with a DVM, the only other connections are electrical for the pump motor, and hoses, as I recall.

I didn't get any grit or sand like stuff in my tanks, it was an off white film blocking the VST screen completely. It's a wisk of a material, very fine like the thinnest powder ever. When I wiped it off the float, didn't see it on the rag nor felt any texture to it. Doesn't take much to cover the tiny VST filter surface area.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
Dunk never posts on THT, unless he has changed his mind lately

I know he is over on FS forums all the time

If you run a fuel stabilizer, I noticed the white powder is gone

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
He was responding to another's post about grounding the tank to eliminate the problem, perhaps it was at FS. Pretty sure it was at THT though.

SlimJim

Reaction score
BobP said:
He was responding to another's post about grounding the tank to eliminate the problem, perhaps it was at FS. Pretty sure it was at THT though.
you are right it was on THT. I read it

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Been using Startron since time began, and red Stabil in off season, in addition.

And I don't measure it out, if anything, it's an overdose.

I may go to marine stabil only year round when the startron supply is used up.

Big hole in the ocean!