2 micron Racors with bowls

SlimJim

Reaction score
Tim, Andy is who I bought these from. He said that 6 or 7 are using them now and have heard of no problems. Hes not telling all his customers to make the switch, (hes a yamaha dealer and sell's a lot of yamaha parts) however he stocks and sells the racors and the 2 micron filters. He knows my engines and if there was a problem I am sure he would tell me and not sell me the racors. I had my boat out today fishing and she ran great. I will keep you posted.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
Use it on the OX 66 and HDPI

because they are sensitive to the fueling

newer 4 stokes are not sensitive

anyways when you get a pressure drop, your motor will not be able to run WOT, It is that simple guys

Most of you are making a fuss about something you will never see!!!!

SlimJim

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Can please get this straight? Is this new filter for all engines, 2 or 4 stroke or just HPDI?
For me its the HPDI with a VST Tank and Filter. Not sure about a 4 stroke.

SlimJim

Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:
Use it on the OX 66 and HDPI

because they are sensitive to the fueling

newer 4 stokes are not sensitive

anyways when you get a pressure drop, your motor will not be able to run WOT, It is that simple guys

Most of you are making a fuss about something you will never see!!!![/q uote] Whats a HDPI? Never heard of that one.

Bill_N

Reaction score
I don't know if they're the same but the F225's have a VST tank and filter. I changed mine out this spring and it's a pain in the butt!

The other thing I did was change the on engine filters out to the new 10 micron green filters. So I have the blue Yamaha 10 micron water separator/fule filter, then the 10 micron on engine filter going to the F filter on my 225's which I think is 2 microns and then the VST filter.

I think it's supposed to get progressively finer as you get further into the fuel sytem. It seems like that would make sense to maintan flow. Putting the 2 micron first could lead to problems.

Bill

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
So if the Yamaha 4 strokes have the VST system, why are two strokes more suspectable to fuel issues associated with VST?

If the screen gets plugged, either engine gets starved of fuel, correct?

If you pump pure water or heavier ethanol concentration into motor, both VST tanks take on rust.

Since the oil system in a 2 stroke Yamahas is independant of the fuel system, the motor lubrication remains in force.

If the ethanol is dissolving the boat's alum gas tank, the same crap is occuring irrespective of what's hanging off the transom.

Seems to me Bombardier ETEC had the solution, 3 yrs no maintenance. What's this, another 2 stroke?

Where's Yamaha's solution, for any stroke?

Bill_N

Reaction score
BobP said:
So if the Yamaha 4 strokes have the VST system, why are two strokes more suspectable to fuel issues associated with VST?
Don't know the answer to that one. Could it be that most of the HPDI's are on older boats with possibly more fuel contamination?

My VST's had never been apart - 300 hrs. They were cruddy but not completely clogged. I put new ones in but could've re-used them.

I don't buy the ethanol dissolving aluminum story. Unless someone can prove this it seems far fetched to me. The mechanics I've talked to say the whitish crud is from broken down fuel and all the additives that are in it.

SlimJim

Reaction score
the VST Filter on the 4 stroke is different and I don't think it has the fine 2 micron screens like the HPDI one has. The gasket is 1/2 the price as well, I don't know why as its looks about the same.??

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
NO

10 micron compared to 2 micron

you guys are worrying about SHEET that you will never see

If you drain your VST, like your supposed to, u will not run into trouble

Stopping bitching and go fish!

Seahunter

Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:
NO

10 micron compared to 2 micron

you guys are worrying about SHEET that you will never see

If you drain your VST, like your supposed to, u will not run into trouble

Stopping bitching and go fish!

Your a Tech. Have you seen this same issue on E-Tecs and the Opti?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I didn't see "draining VST"' in Yamaha maintenance guide, what page is it on?

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
you will not find it in there

As for opti's and ETECH's
no problems yet

OPTI have a fuel/water sep, no screen

ETECH, well it is a FICHT motor

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I know a dealer by me drains the VST tank when doing winter prep work, so will I from now on starting the end of this season.

My filter condition as found in April, could have not been that bad during last use in November, motor would have not responded when dropping the hammer.