2 questions about reenforcing the rod holders

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
2020 Thresher.jpg

You can see in this pic what I did to reinforce my rodholders. 5/4 mahogany. Sorry about the giant picture....I am not sure how to resize it.

Reactions: Sparkdog118

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
OOOps. I meant to say the 1/2 plate was fitted under the gunnels bolted through to the down rigger and in my case prawn puller bases.

Reactions: JJMag

mkslug

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What trapper said. I would forget changing the rod holders and setup permanent mounts for your downriggers rather than using rod holder mounts, and use a metal backing plate under the gunnels. The benefit of the Scotty is convenience of throwing it on your existing downriggers mounts.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I plan on replacing all my holders with Gemlux Bluewater HD Swivels. I plan on fighting big game from the gunnel and even the Gemlux/ any other brand backing plates seems to be a little small to really distribute the forces well.
I thought of running an entire piece of starboard under the entire gunnel, but don’t think that’s a great idea. An entire piece the length of the gunnel in stainless steel... that’s more like it.

You’ll be fine with zero degree heavy duty swivel rod holders and backing plates (not fender washers). If you’re worried about the CE Smith/Lee’s round/oval style not having enough surface area you can opt for the Island Offshore or Universal Manufacturers style with a more square/rectangular top and backing plate. We’ve had up to a 400 lb marlin on and have not noticed any flex in the gunnels or cracking of the gelcoat. Just make sure the installation is good and the stress will be distributed enough to prevent damage. An entire backing plate of stainless under the gunnel would cost a pretty penny and make any future/additional rod holder installations a hassle.

Reactions: Sparkdog118

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you want to do it right, the pot hauler should come through the gunnel, and be bolted to the deck. That takes all the torque off the gunnel.
Like this.

Attachments

• 503D9D37-6A67-4340-8738-727AD48A01B7.jpeg
    503D9D37-6A67-4340-8738-727AD48A01B7.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 3

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I guess it depends on anticipated weigh being pulled. My prawn/crab puller maxes out a 100 lbs. Unfortunately I have yet to pull up "two" (legal set) traps on a line that full. I have blown an in line fuse when stuck on rocks in a running tide, with no flex in the gunnel.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I used the aluminum to strengthen my hard top mounts to the cabin. I was always chasing leaks. It is rock solid now. I had tried poly board but it cracked in less than a year.

Attachments

• D2F8C745-8C04-42FE-AE5D-61352E48BAA9.jpeg
    D2F8C745-8C04-42FE-AE5D-61352E48BAA9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: Holokai

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I used the aluminum to strengthen my hard top mounts to the cabin. I was always chasing leaks. It is rock solid now an
I plan on replacing all my holders with Gemlux Bluewater HD Swivels. I plan on fighting big game from the gunnel and even the Gemlux/ any other brand backing plates seems to be a little small to really distribute the forces well.
I thought of running an entire piece of starboard under the entire gunnel, but don’t think that’s a great idea. An entire piece the length of the gunnel in stainless steel... that’s more like it.
aluminum is a lot cheaper and will give you plenty of strength. You can drill it later a lot easier than stainless if you decide to add extra rod holders.

Reactions: Holokai