2000 30' Marlin gas tank switchover

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hello all. I purchased a Grady White 30 ft Marlin, year 2000, twin 250 OX66 motors. So far she's a hell of a boat, but I'm just getting to know her and have much to learn.

My helm switch board has the fuel switch which typically stays on the position that says auxiliary. per my owner's manual I have a 306 gallon fuel capacity, but I don't see the breakdown between tanks. Is switching between tanks as easy as flipping that switch on my helm board? I looked in the stern area and both valves for the tanks are in the open position. I want to make sure I'm managing my fuel usage right.

I'm sure as I explore this boat and replace all the lighting, pumps, switches, etc. I will have more questions so thank you to all in advance.

Rob

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Both of mine have had stopcocks that are manually switched between tanks beneath the deck. Electronic would be cool...

naesb81

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
the switch to switch between sending units on the tanks, i.e tell the gauge which tank to read from.

naesb81

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Follow the wires. If it is a level sensor switch, one side should be fed from the tanks, and the output should go to the fuel gauge on the dash. (could be to the yamaha gauge depending what gauge you have).

What happens when you hit the switch? If it switches the sending units, you should see the level on the right change (assume you have different amounts of fuel in the tank).

1598978696371.png

I am just guessing here as I haven't seen the boat.

Check this thread, it seems to explain what you are asking.

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Follow the wires. If it is a level sensor switch, one side should be fed from the tanks, and the output should go to the fuel gauge on the dash. (could be to the yamaha gauge depending what gauge you have).

What happens when you hit the switch? If it switches the sending units, you should see the level on the right change (assume you have different amounts of fuel in the tank).

View attachment 15738

I am just guessing here as I haven't seen the boat.

Check this thread, it seems to explain what you are asking.

Awesome I'll look into it and report back. Thank you again.

bartoma

Reaction score
To reiterate what others have said, the helm switch just selects which sender the fuel gauge is reading... Each engine has a fuel valve (stopcock) that selects from main or auxiliary tanks for that engine... At least that's the way the 165 is rigged...

Reactions: OverspooledRob

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The Dash Toggle just shows you the level in each tank, hopefully you are switching the 3-Way Valves on the Aft Bulkhead to use up fuel in Main Tank too. For me, figuring out the Big Lever or pointer on the Valve did not make sense, but figured out now. They are about 150 gallons each.

Reactions: OverspooledRob