2000 Adventure 208 is 150 HP enough???

rmf4grady

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Im selling the original 175 HP yamaha that came with the boat and upgrading to something newer. Just wondering if 150 is enough. Will take the boat
out 5-10 miles on nice day. will 150 be enough??? Thoughts??

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
was the 175 too much?

i would not likely go with less hp. i would probably call grady and see if the hull is rated for 200 and try to make that happen.

Reactions: wires38

rmf4grady

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
no 175 was fine. just wondering if i could save money by going smaller. probably no much savings so i should stick with 175 or more
i think the boat was rated for 225-250 2 stroke wich was about 500lbs so i'll stick with a 4 stroke at or below that weight

Reactions: PointedRose

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It really all depends on how you will be using the boat and what kind of demand you will put on the engine.

There is another factor here, though... resale. Going with a small engine will definitely impact the saleability. What you need to think about is how people down the road will "perceive" this. Everyone on the internet will say you MUST have the bigger engine or you'll be sorry. Somebody looking to buy your boat will ask others on forums and the answer will inevitably be "don't even consider the smaller engine". If a potential buyer hears that enough, they will believe it to be gospel. That the evil of the internet - everyone is an expert at spending other's money ;)

Your boat isn't a whole lot bigger/heavier than my mother's 192 with a 150HP - and that boat runs like a raped ape.

That said... if this was my boat... I would put at least a 175HP on it - and ideally a 200HP on it. I know I'm spending your money here - but it's an investment. Check out the Merc engines if you haven't already done so.

Reactions: wires38

Coastboater

Reaction score
Grady speced 150 as minimum and 250 max. If you are happy with the performance of the 175, not sure it’s worth the risk to try a 150 and now be disappointed with the boat.
Put a 250 on it and grin from ear to ear every hole shot:p

Reactions: Anchor Point

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
A Suzuki df175 is only $1k higher than the df150. You get pinched on the df200 at +$3k. Go with the mechanical df175. The weight is right, priced right, and geared for your type of boat. Sips fuel and is bulletproof!

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hi - I have the same boat, same year etc. I do not have a top on it. I originally had a yamaha 150 2 stroke and replaced with yamaha 150 4 stroke. More power would be nice, but I never feel like I don't have enough if that makes sense. I routinely make trips of 50--100 miles and the sea state keeps me running at 25-27 mph in ideal conditions. Not sure I would go faster if I had the power. I get an avg 3 mpg on those trips with full fuel, 3 dudes, 60 lbs of ice, 40 gallon bait tank and offshore fishing gear.

That said - if the $$ is not that much different - get the bigger motor. (I got a smoking deal on the 150 when I bought it and knew what I was getting into too).

let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A Suzuki df175 is only $1k higher than the df150. You get pinched on the df200 at +$3k. Go with the mechanical df175. The weight is right, priced right, and geared for your type of boat. Sips fuel and is bulletproof!
I didn't check pricing (which may differ from dealer to dealer), but I was curious about weights. If I'm correct, the Mercury 175 (and 200) are both lighter than the Suzuki... and the Mercs are V6's compared to the Zuke being a 4cyl and smaller displacement overall, as well. Interesting!

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
200HP is what you want. I have a 250 on my 228 which is only slightly bigger. It's enough but when I'm loaded up with extra gas and ice and 3 people for a tuna run, I struggle to get on plane. The holeshot is not the best.

I believe Grady was putting 200s on before they killed that model.

I think a 175 would do the job, especially if you are mostly solo or with one other person.

seasick

Reaction score
Way back in the year 2000, the motor spec'd for the 208 without a hard top was the SX150 (2 stroke). If you wanted the hardtop, Grady recommended the 175 2 stroke.
in my opinion and if I had to repower my 2000 208, I would go for the inline 4 cy, 200 motor. The 6 cyl 4 stroke is heavier and the performance of the boat as well as the trim probably would be effected. If you plan on carrying 3 or 4 people and a lot of gas, the 150 will be struggling to get on plane.
So keep your 175 until it dies or becomes unreliable. In the meantime save your money for that I4 200:)

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I didn't check pricing (which may differ from dealer to dealer), but I was curious about weights. If I'm correct, the Mercury 175 (and 200) are both lighter than the Suzuki... and the Mercs are V6's compared to the Zuke being a 4cyl and smaller displacement overall, as well. Interesting!
Yes, the Mercs are 50 lbs lighter but will lighten your wallet by at least $5k more. If $ is not a concern, Merc would be the only 6 cylinder worth considering.
Word is a Suzuki 175 isn't far off from the 200 when it comes to power. The lower gear ratio pushes heavy boats out of the hole more easily than the competition at the same HP level minus Merc.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, the Mercs are 50 lbs lighter but will lighten your wallet by at least $5k more. If $ is not a concern, Merc would be the only 6 cylinder worth considering.
Word is a Suzuki 175 isn't far off from the 200 when it comes to power. The lower gear ratio pushes heavy boats out of the hole more easily than the competition at the same HP level minus Merc.
That's quite a bit different in price. I suppose the other factor is having a dealer nearby - I'm sure Merc wins out on that one in a lot of markets.

But back to price... wow! Do you know if that is based on actual selling price? Or is it full list pricing?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
That's quite a bit different in price. I suppose the other factor is having a dealer nearby - I'm sure Merc wins out on that one in a lot of markets.

But back to price... wow! Do you know if that is based on actual selling price? Or is it full list pricing?
Looks like some of the Merc pricing is cooling off from when I shopped.
Google shows a df175a for $13800. Boats.net shows a Merc 175 at only $1k-4k more.
If you DIY, you don't need a dealer for a Zuke. The 4 cylinders rarely break. Merc is hit or miss.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Looks like some of the Merc pricing is cooling off from when I shopped.
Google shows a df175a for $13800. Boats.net shows a Merc 175 at only $1k-4k more.
If you DIY, you don't need a dealer for a Zuke. The 4 cylinders rarely break. Merc is hit or miss.
You can get things covered under warranty directly from Suzuki? That's pretty cool if it's true. Seems strange, though, that Suzuki would "take my word" for it, though! :)

The more recent Mercs seem to be pretty darn good from the reliability standpoint, though. Truthfully, I think all of the brands are a solid choice. It's the other pieces of the puzzle regarding ownership/etc that need to be taken into account - and that could easily change from one owner to another.

Reactions: family affair

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Way back in the year 2000, the motor spec'd for the 208 without a hard top was the SX150 (2 stroke). If you wanted the hardtop, Grady recommended the 175 2 stroke.
in my opinion and if I had to repower my 2000 208, I would go for the inline 4 cy, 200 motor. The 6 cyl 4 stroke is heavier and the performance of the boat as well as the trim probably would be effected. If you plan on carrying 3 or 4 people and a lot of gas, the 150 will be struggling to get on plane.
So keep your 175 until it dies or becomes unreliable. In the meantime save your money for that I4 200:)
I dont disagree, more HP the better. But with the load I mentioned in my post, I don't struggle to get on plane at all. It could be faster for sure, but it is not a struggle with the 150. Again, the more hp the better, just sharing my experience.

For reference -the location of my scuppers with the 4 stroke.

1712686369448.png

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

seasick

Reaction score
I dont disagree, more HP the better. But with the load I mentioned in my post, I don't struggle to get on plane at all. It could be faster for sure, but it is not a struggle with the 150. Again, the more hp the better, just sharing my experience.

For reference -the location of my scuppers with the 4 stroke.

View attachment 33248
Scupoer looks good. You don't seem to have trim tabs either and that attests to the 150's ability to generate sufficient thrust to get on plane in a timely fashion.
I can't see the port scupper. I was wondering if there is any list to starboard, assuming the oil tank was removed (not that it weighs a lot.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Unfortunately, I don't have a better angle, but there is no list. Correct, no trim tabs either. I've gone back and forth on those and until I get a ride on a 208 with Tabs I wont add them (I dont know what I'm missing!)

Fishtales

Reaction score
175 is fine in my opinion but I'm enjoying the ride just as much as getting to the destination.

seasick

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't have a better angle, but there is no list. Correct, no trim tabs either. I've gone back and forth on those and until I get a ride on a 208 with Tabs I wont add them (I dont know what I'm missing!)
I don't have them either. Once in a while they would help but I lived without them for so long, why change? That said, I wouldn't buy a boat without them.