2000 Islander W/ OX66

JBGM

Reaction score
I've been looking to buy a 268 Islander, and have been talking to a guy on craigslist about a 2000 with twin 200 OX66's with 1000 hours which he says run like new. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on these motors and what kind of hours they are good for when well maintained.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have almost a 1000 hours on mine and it has been nothing but great. I see around 1.7 mpg loaded and I she goes another 1000 hours.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Seasick knows those engines inside and out. Hit him up if he doesn't chime in.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Great motors with proper maintenance like anything else. Clean fuel system usually solves 99% of their "issues", and anyone with a little mechanical ability can usually handle that themselves. 1000 hours would not bother me on one with good compression and a motor/boat that looks well cared for. They are known to be thirsty but reliable.

JBGM

Reaction score
Thanks every one, I've asked him for maintenance records, hopefully he has them. Hopefully it all looks good and I can get my first Grady

Jitrag

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In 2018, I purchased a 98 Sailfish with the original twin 225hp OX66 SWs engines. During the survey, it passed the compression tests with flying colors. I have no idea how many hours are on the engines but I completely agree with Fire93Medic. I keep them well maintained, flush them after each use with a salt-away type product to keep the water passages as clear as possible etc. Three seasons later and I could not be happier with them and hope to get many more years out of them. In March of 2020, I replaced both lower units but other than that, they don't hesitate to start and run like scalded cats!

BTW, last season I docked at a local restaurant and there were three other boats with the same engines. All of us ended up chatting on the dock about the engines and these other owners raved about them.

MOTW19

Reaction score
Model
Escape
I own a 1999 209 Escape , with a 1998 225 hp OX66. I couldn't be happier with my motor it starts every time, I thought in re power when I first bought the boat but this engine is so reliable, if you keep it well maintained , I always put ethanol free , again couldn't be happier every mechanics tell me I could get easy 10 more years out it. There is a lot of people bias again two strokes , but they are not as bad in fuel efficiency as long as run like is supposed .