2000 Marlin

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Hello everyone, just purchased a 2000 Marlin and started taking it apart. Had 1994 25 Sailfish
for three years , wanted a better ride. Boat out in west coast out the Golden Gate always rough,
Hope the Marlin helps. Installed the twin 4.2 L Yamaha’s 225 hp from the Sailfish to the Marlin,
will the same props work 15 by 17 1/2 saltwater series?
Thanks

hinmo

Reaction score
Hi - also a new Marlin owner (1999). I am interested in your results....how does the Marlin handle (in my few hours of use, I am not comfortable with her yet) and twin 225's....many here claim that's not enough power, but the engines are plentiful here on the East coast and would be a nice re power for me.

Let me know!
Good Luck

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a friend with 225's on a 330. They have the power. Consider the 15.75X15 props...

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Thanks for reply, boat is getting close to getting in the water. My motors are fly by wire, has good display
will post results. Hoping the 4.2 L has the the low end for a quick plane, plan on always carrying
full fuel and gear , just the miles l go offshore.
Thanks

Graybeard

Reaction score
I just took delivery of a 2003 Marlin 30 with twin 225’s. That’s the biggest 4-Stroke Yamaha had at the time. Express 33’s in that timeframe also had 225’s. They are notorious for dry exhaust corrosion problems resulting from a design defect. If you weren’t under warranty when the problem developed, Yamaha left you in the learch and it’s an expensive repair.

Mr.crab

Reaction score
My motors are 2016 warranty til 2021 , 4.2L 225 hp have dry exhaust problems also?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mr.crab said:
My motors are 2016 warranty til 2021 , 4.2L 225 hp have dry exhaust problems also?
Hi - I have 2017 F250 4.3L twin engines on a Sailfish and we are running with 15 1/2 X 17 Stainless Steel props. Would imagine you would be the same. I have never heard of dry exhaust issues with the 4.3 L engines.
Just curious on the engines being 2016 on your repower. Were they left overs from 2016 or used engines?

Mr.crab

Reaction score
I think your motors are 4.2L same as mine, my motors were new when I purchased them.
They were on my 1994 Sailfish, move to Marlin where I’m installing now. Pick 225 twins because
the max hp for Sailfish was 450 hp, your boat must fly with that power. Hoping I get quick to
plane and good midrange water conditions always sloppy, that why I made the move to Marlin.
Thanks

Mr.crab

Reaction score
My Marlin,my motors are 28” apart didn’t want to drill new holes for 1/2” they don’t touch.
Replacing all streeing and hydraulic hoses, and fuel hoses , new electronics, relocated
fuel valves, battery switches, fuel filters so you don’t have to lift rear seat. Holes getting
gelcoat, new hoses on bilge pumps , thinking of doing new hoses on washdown and live well.
Boat has bow thruster removing the 4/0 cable that runs back, and adding two batteries forward,
windlass and thruster . Owners manual states #4 for windlass my boat has 10G wire to hard to
get wires for windlass all the back so adding batteries forward.Before I add batteries and remove
wire for thruster has anyone found conduit to run windlass wires back?
Thanks

Attachments

• 92B14A23-7A89-4CA0-BFEE-A050067205A3.jpeg
    92B14A23-7A89-4CA0-BFEE-A050067205A3.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,184

hinmo

Reaction score
Sounds like F225s (w/o dry exhaust design issues) would be fine for me....do not want to re-drill holes if possible. Not looking for any speed or time to plane.

Bigger question, how to handle current configuration in 3-4ft quartering chop?...boat seems to dig and dive in my limited experience. I can live with off-plane performance with my blue-smokers...if they won't foul.

Thoughts/experience?

Mr.crab

Reaction score
I have no experience in a Marlin, never even went on a ride in a Marlin. Still trying to put together,
how much weight can I put in the bow if you said it digs into waves. Have 300’ of anchor chain,
want to put two batteries under forward bunks.
Thanks

sickday

Reaction score
Why do you want to weigh down the bow? My 01 handles the gate with ease. A lot of jealous onlookers in July running up to Bolinas passed most of the fleet after leaving 30 minutes after most of them. Our Hull design was made for those conditions. Unless you're carrying too much weight aft, I don't see a need. Tabs will get your bow down if u desire. Congrats on the new boat. Not many Marlins in our region.

hinmo

Reaction score
Sickday - no issues on a plane quartering 3-4ft chop? From what I have been reading, more weight aft helps prevent the dig and dive effect and keeps the nose up. I have only had the boat for about 20 running hours last season so trying to figure her out.

MA208

Reaction score
My Marlin (2005) seems to have plenty of weight in the stern. 4 big batteries, generator and diesel tank, water tank, and you can keep the aft fuel tank more full if you wish to weigh it down. Play with the trim and tabs a little bit to find the sweet spot in a quartering chop. The ride is really good. I don't seem to use nearly as much tab as I did on my small Grady. Usually just to level out a passenger load on plane.

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guy’s, my 1994 Sailfish had all chain for the anchor, but going out the gate
was slow going,also towed the boat to Bodega Bay because water conditions out the gate. Sickday what motors do you have , what speed,do you go to the Farallon Islands ?
Can’t wait to get going been no fish in freezer for awhile,
Thanks Mr.crab

MA208

Reaction score
I had a 208 for about 5 years prior to the Marlin. My area is out of Gloucester MA. Conditions are variable, but seldom flat calm. The 208 really liked tab to keep the bow in the water. The Marlin doesn't seem that way, even in chop I'll trim up the motors a touch and that's usually fine. I run F225's with no power issues at all.

MA208

Reaction score
Yes 3.3L. Unsure of the specs on the props though.

sickday

Reaction score
Mr.crab said:
Thanks for the reply guy’s, my 1994 Sailfish had all chain for the anchor, but going out the gate
was slow going,also towed the boat to Bodega Bay because water conditions out the gate. Sickday what motors do you have , what speed,do you go to the Farallon Islands ?
Can’t wait to get going been no fish in freezer for awhile,
Thanks Mr.crab

I've been running the original OX66 250's for the last 9 years. Reluctantly retiring them because they've been so great for me. But the time has come. I'm in the middle of a repower right now. Will be adding 18' Honda BF 250's.

As for speed with those OX66's , it all depends on conditions. But as a comparison, in average July chop beyond the gate, I routinely run pass the fleet of Farallons, Stripers, Parkers etc. If they were running 18 knots I was at 23. If they were at 23 I was at 28. Generally speaking. It wasn't a race and I could careless what they were doing. Part of it could be fuel conservation for other boat owners. But my rig handles it very comfortably beyond the gate. I'll slow down if I start getting air, and I refuse to pound the Hull. But With the 2 strokes, the boat was more fuel efficient with speed, so I was pretty aggressive. On one particular run, dudes were commenting the radio about the captain who "was in a hurry". Reality was my fuel burn rate was better the faster I went in modest seas. Unlike the other boats who were running 4 strokes.

It's not like I had anything to prove but if my passengers and I are comfortable I'm opening it up. The boat loved it. It hated slow running. Average speed I would say running north and south along the coast, 18-27 knots. Average speed in the bay on fac water, 32-35. Straight out to the Islands just depended on conditions. I've had to putt along at less than 10 riding the swell and I've had her wide open 40+ running out to the drop off for Albies. I'm not ashamed to admit, I pick and choose my days and tend to get lucky with the weather.

Hopefully the new motors won't require me to redistribute weight like what you're talking about. Time will tell