2000 Marlin

Ozz043

Reaction score
I’ve had My 99 Marlin for a few years now, put about 300hrs on her, 2x250 OX66
She handles the sea like a dream, just have to trim her right!

I trim with engines and only use tabs to level out listing due to wind ....
( though I do have a strange port listing that occurs underway sometimes )

My advice is to trim her when the sea is calm and take note of where the engines sit, bow down a tad into the sea, bow up with a trailing sea....

Mr Crab ... why have 300’ of chain ? I have 30’ of 6mm and the rest is good nylon...bottom fish every trip in all weather...

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Hello Ozz043,
Purchased 300 ft chain for my 1994 Sailfish that repowered with 4.2 L 225hp , this was to keep bow
down with extra weight for motors. The 1994 has the step hull only riding on 25ft hull, already have
the chain so it’s going on the Marlin. But all chain works really well with windlass ,and you can anchor
in any bottom. Haven’t finish my boat yet can’t wait to try it out, there are mix reviews on the ride
will see for myself soon .
Thanks Mr.crab

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sickday has a good point, and one for our west coast square waves comes in handy.

The Marlin is plenty heavy without re-routing battery cables to the bow, etc... That's not to say that a heavy ass end is desireable, however.

In west coast swells and wind waves (I have never piloted the E coast), this boat wants the bow DOWN and MORE power. I can't tell you how many times I've been cruising flat water and come out into the Straits or a different body to find tide against the wind or something, and upon getting a few wake up bounces, trimming the bow down and adding power solves the (ride) problem completely. Other hulls like Bayliner Sea Ray etc... will recommend bringing the bow UP for smoother ride, with less power. In the Marlin in all sorts of wave conditions, put the bow down, speed as conditions require.

Of course this creates another problem, fuel burn. Pick your poison!

And enjoy!

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Is the Marlin already bow heavy? just don’t know what else to do. Need larger wires to windlass,
so moving batteries forward would be easier to pick up bow thruster and small inverter.The Sailfish needed weight forward, with all that chain still needed a lot of trim down.

Thanks

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Mr Crab I wouldn't say the Marlin is bow heavy per se... I can't wait for you to get out and mess with it in different conditions. The boat is pretty heavy and can take care of herself. Depending on your props and weight distribution you'll figure her out pretty fast. I'm running 4 blade props and only need to trim the motors up slightly, and I use tabs a bit more for controlling than others in this thread. I get similar performance specs as Sickday. I run the boat heavy quite a bit, ice chests, refreshments, replacement parts for everything in the V.... I'm pretty crazy but we do some remote trips and it helps me sleep good.

I carry 200' of 1/4" HT chain and 200' of (1/2" or 7/16"???) three strand rode. The most amazing boat I've ever experienced!!! Sometimes I'll go all day without a drop on my windshield.

I agree with your plan to stow some batteries forward for the windlass, weight is an added bonus in that case. Plus more space in the aft battery compartment. I was just thinking I wouldn't undertake such a big job just to fix the list to port, or to find a way to add weight to the bow only.

Make sure you take pictures of each step and post. I'm frustrated with the cramped space my batteries sit in and have been contemplating how to add more amp hours and get a true isolated "house" battery system, and setting up a remote battery setup in the bow was something I had never considered.

Good luck!

Ozz043

Reaction score
I’m surprised you want extra weight in the bow...
The way she sits is dependent on the way she is trimmed...

I have a large drum winch on the bow, 12” diameter 100m rope and 10m chain...i have 3 large batteries mounted in front of the holding tank. They run the winch and bowthruster.
If you want more weight it would be a good start...

Square waves ... :dance

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Hello, still working on my Grady , want to change the head to vacuflush. Has anyone done this
in a Marlin without taking out the holding tank?
Thanks

sickday

Reaction score
Mr.crab said:
Hello, still working on my Grady , want to change the head to vacuflush. Has anyone done this
in a Marlin without taking out the holding tank?
Thanks

Mine is stock. Have you put the boat in the water? Any results on adding the weight up front with the chain?

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Hello sickday ,
No boat in not in water yet, still have a lot of work. Hull was in great condition super dry from
never been bottom painted with light use. But with that said everything else gets brittle, also
moving everything the way I like to fish. As for the chain no problem in the 1994 Sailfish, with the windlass
it worked great . Thinking the Marlin should have no problem having 5ft more running surface,
will post pic’s when done.
Thanks

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
First test couple days ago, 2000 Marlin,225 Yamaha 4.2L , prop 15 1/2 by 17 pitch , two people,
60 gal fuel, no water, 300’ chain, six batteries, crab pot puller ,down- riggers,43.2knots@5800rpm
26.1 knots @ 3700rpm 14.7 gph. Not much gear thinking of purchasing 15 1/2 by 15 pitch for
heavy loads during crab season.
Thanks

hinmo

Reaction score
BLUF: Rookie here. Only had my 99Marlin for a few hours (end of last season and beginning of this one). I just took the OX66s off and re-powered with Zuke DF250s. The extra weight of the F-strks brings the trim up alittle in the bow...and I like it. I thought that with the OX66s that the Marlin was kind of bow down most the time and would tend to grip and grab certain waves.

So far, so good. Speed equivalent, noise less, mileage better (cruised around 30mph at 25gph with the OXs, and +/- 17gph with the Zukes....unscientific statement)

Reactions: Blimjr2