2001 Express 265 Repairs

Rfazilat

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Hello all on Greatgrady.com!

I recently took delivery of a 2001 Express 265 and have numerous projects in front of me and would like some direction from those with this model (and those with others) on best direction to take with them. Here goes;

1. installing Lewmar horizontal windless wiring - Pre-wire is located at windless location. I've read this is pulled to the helm for the switch and there is no pre-wire from the batteries. Emailed Grady for confirmation.
2. Going to have to pull the stern deck boards to gain access to tanks etc. Anyone else done this?
3. Looks like cabin has some leaks at the vinyl liner. Pull windshield gasket and set screws. Silicone and reset.
4. Complete electronics change out. Any issues with wire pulls?
5. Fiberglass repairs in numerous locations. I read somewhere Grady has a kit?

This list will GROW. Any guidance from those who have previously tasked would be greatly appreciated!

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Congrats on the 265. I'm a fairly new 265 owner as well. Lots of good info on here. As Skunkboat mentioned, do a search.

1) Mine already had Winlass, so cant answer that one.
2) the deck hatches come up pretty easy, just need to cut out the caulking. They are pretty heavy. To reseal, use GE silicone II, almond color. Matches great
3) Could also be leaking at the bases of the tower, thats on my to-do list as well.
4) Added all new electronics in mine. I had them pull the transducer wire when I did the repower on mine
5) Fiberglass repairs or gelcoat repairs?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The headliner leak could be windshield wash. The knob under the shifters is washer valve. If FW pump is powered it will pump water.

Pull the hatch. remove the 6" piehole and put in a Tempress hatch big enough to get your elbows in.

Grady pre-wired 10 gauge from behind the glove box to the anchor locker. If you want to run a windlass on 10awg, fed from the House + terminal block under helm, you can add a breaker switch next to the glove box and use that.
I think a windlass should run straight to a battery with 6 or 8 gauge, thru a breaker switch and use a relay to control. see https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/powerwinch-300-capstan.34573/

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
You are going to find that every project that you want to do has been done and it’s probably documented on this site. It’s super helpful and the people are too. i Suggest that you search and ask away. Good luck and have fun! Break Out Another Thousand

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Yep, get some beer and do a Tag search on 265 Express. Please, 265 guys, go back and TAG your relevant 265 posts. Same for DF200AP and OX66. Only the OP can tag their post.

Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 7.42.15 PM.png

Reactions: Saltyone

Rfazilat

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Thanks to all for direction and advice! I’m sure to reach out as I begin each project. What started out as a few relative repairs grows daily. Hope to splash her by July 4th. And yes, I’ve already begun spending more than anticipated….but I will have exactly want I want.:)

eppem

Reaction score
Enjoy the 265! I’m in Western CT and owned a 2003, bought in 2006, for 14 years and sold to move up. Drbatts is a friend and owned a 265 for years too.

We did more maintenance than major upgrades but more than happy to help with any questions.

-Mike (Eppe)

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
congrats on the new boat. I would pull both deck pieces and open up the fuel tank area. While you have it open clean and inspect everything. Then replace the fuel lines and start fresh. Easy to do with the deck open. Check the deck for moisture. In terms of the headliner leak it is most likely the windshield washer/wiper. However it could also be from the horn, hatch or hardtop legs. Did you have a survey done and did they pick up moisture in the forward deck? All of the electrical rigging and runs are easily accessible once you star unscrewing and removing hatch's.

Rfazilat

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
congrats on the new boat. I would pull both deck pieces and open up the fuel tank area. While you have it open clean and inspect everything. Then replace the fuel lines and start fresh. Easy to do with the deck open. Check the deck for moisture. In terms of the headliner leak it is most likely the windshield washer/wiper. However it could also be from the horn, hatch or hardtop legs. Did you have a survey done and did they pick up moisture in the forward deck? All of the electrical rigging and runs are easily accessible once you star unscrewing and removing hatch's.
Thanks, working on the windless today. Just posted about the pre-wire down the starboard side and not port as GW diagram shows....

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You have a 2001. That drawing is 2005. They changed at some point. My 2000 has orange and black 10gauge running up starbord side. It had no pre-wired 6 gauge to the bow.