Powerwinch 300 Capstan

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Bought this to install LAST season and never got to it.

Finally got done...almost...needs cleanup.

capstan-post.jpg

6 gauge safety (red/yellow) duplex run from Port Start battery switch, 25A breaker, fed thru port side pvc tubes to the anchor locker.
Foot switch and a relay. This is a one direction capstan.
I may also eventually add a dashboard momentary ON switch to the relay utilizing the Grady 10gauge wires that are there. That would allow the captain to run the capstan if its easier than having the mate stand on the switch while feeding rode down into the locker.

I widened the opening to the locker to make it easier the feed line down. I will never hang an anchor inside the locker.

Added a Sampson post too.

We are contorting ourselves to wire the relay and get nuts and connectors on and secure wire out of the way of the anchor rode. So we have it half assed wired in the bow locker.

Then I'm sitting in the cabin drinking a beer and I realize we should mount the relay in a plastic electrical panel with a door INSIDE the cabin on the fwd bulkhead.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The relay should be ok there. Probably won't last as long if it was in a drier location. The electrical box isn't a bad idea.

How many batteries do you have? Where is the one for the capstan? I put my 4th battery (Group 34M AGM) in the storage under the v-berth. I still had to stand on my head to wire it though.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Yep. I think I'll move it inside.

I have 4 batteries. I opted to run the capstan off the port start battery. The motor will be running when using the capstan. I don't want to run it off the House pair of batteries. I think it will dip the voltage. and they are on the stbd side. Not adding a battery fwd just for a winch.

I used 6awg wire for the 26 ft run. which is plenty.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Previously my windlass was on one of the starting batteries. Worked well for me.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I might have to look into one of these. Full on windlass is too big of an expense at the moment. Girlfriend can't pull the anchor.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Update:
Used it three or four times.
It is already broken. motor runs but doesn't engage the drum. Probably broken tooth or a sheer pin.
All I was hauling was unweighted anchor rode.

Also, I can already see bubbles of corrosion under the white paint.