Powerwinch 300 Capstan

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Bought this to install LAST season and never got to it.

Finally got done...almost...needs cleanup.

capstan-post.jpg

6 gauge safety (red/yellow) duplex run from Port Start battery switch, 25A breaker, fed thru port side pvc tubes to the anchor locker.
Foot switch and a relay. This is a one direction capstan.
I may also eventually add a dashboard momentary ON switch to the relay utilizing the Grady 10gauge wires that are there. That would allow the captain to run the capstan if its easier than having the mate stand on the switch while feeding rode down into the locker.

I widened the opening to the locker to make it easier the feed line down. I will never hang an anchor inside the locker.

Added a Sampson post too.

We are contorting ourselves to wire the relay and get nuts and connectors on and secure wire out of the way of the anchor rode. So we have it half assed wired in the bow locker.

Then I'm sitting in the cabin drinking a beer and I realize we should mount the relay in a plastic electrical panel with a door INSIDE the cabin on the fwd bulkhead.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The relay should be ok there. Probably won't last as long if it was in a drier location. The electrical box isn't a bad idea.

How many batteries do you have? Where is the one for the capstan? I put my 4th battery (Group 34M AGM) in the storage under the v-berth. I still had to stand on my head to wire it though.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Yep. I think I'll move it inside.

I have 4 batteries. I opted to run the capstan off the port start battery. The motor will be running when using the capstan. I don't want to run it off the House pair of batteries. I think it will dip the voltage. and they are on the stbd side. Not adding a battery fwd just for a winch.

I used 6awg wire for the 26 ft run. which is plenty.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Previously my windlass was on one of the starting batteries. Worked well for me.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I might have to look into one of these. Full on windlass is too big of an expense at the moment. Girlfriend can't pull the anchor.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Update:
Used it three or four times.
It is already broken. motor runs but doesn't engage the drum. Probably broken tooth or a sheer pin.
All I was hauling was unweighted anchor rode.

Also, I can already see bubbles of corrosion under the white paint.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Update
The pressed-on gear on the motor shaft was slipping
Sent in for warranty repair. Warranty is 2 years on winches. I bought it in spring of 2021 but didn't install until spring of 2022. It was on the boat from May thru July before it failed. 3 months on a boat. Used it 3 or 4 times.
They fixed the slipping gear. Can't say how long it will last.
They did not fix the paint on the side cover. Clearly it was defective paint because the paint on the main housing is perfect.
They should have given me a new side cover.

They sent it back to me with the paint about to peel off.
They had their chance. I would not recommend this company's products.

powerwinch cover_1.jpg powerwinch cover_2.jpg

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Trying to picture how you operate that foot switch, and handle the line. Facing forward, passing the line between your legs into the locker?
Deck gang learned very quickly that the bosun would tear you a new one if he ever saw you straddle, or even step across a working line. That lesson always stuck with me.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is too bad how the company treated you. Buyers beware....

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Trying to picture how you operate that foot switch, and handle the line. Facing forward, passing the line between your legs into the locker?
Deck gang learned very quickly that the bosun would tear you a new one if he ever saw you straddle, or even step across a working line. That lesson always stuck with me.
I used a footswitch to a solenoid instead of the one that came with the winch, which "could" be used directly on the power cabling. I hate the footswitch. very hard to keep it pressed when seas are flat, impossible in any kind of sea.
Also, soft "foam" sole shoes don't work. BUT, It is way better than hauling up a 13lb anchor, 20 ft of chain and 400 ft of 1/2" rode. When the capstan is turning, its nice and easy to put the rode straight into the anchor locker.

I am going to rig a dash switch Momentary ON/ OFF to operate the solenoid from the helm. That way the deck ape doesn't have to step on the switch and can keep both feet behind the bow hatch.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I re-rigged the capstan. Moved relay and connections to an electric box in the cabin. Nice & clean & dry. So I didn't have to pull wire forward, I used the existing OEM old 10 awg "windlass" wire to rig a dashboard Momentary switch. The switch will run the capstan or you can still use the footswitch at the bow.

I also upgraded the anchor roller to a tilt roller. I had to fill & glass the channel because the new roller was wider.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fowl Hooked

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I re-rigged the capstan. Moved relay and connections to an electric box in the cabin. Nice & clean & dry. So I didn't have to pull wire forward, I used the existing OEM old 10 awg "windlass" wire to rig a dashboard Momentary switch. The switch will run the capstan or you can still use the footswitch at the bow.

I also upgraded the anchor roller to a tilt roller. I had to fill & glass the channel because the new roller was wider.
Be interested to hear how the tilt roller works for you. I've been thinking of doing the same for a while now as about 2 of every 3 times I drop the hook I've got to go up forward to get it started as it just hangs up on the roller.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Be interested to hear how the tilt roller works for you. I've been thinking of doing the same for a while now as about 2 of every 3 times I drop the hook I've got to go up forward to get it started as it just hangs up on the roller.
anchored several times today. Big thumbs up on the roller. anchor drops right out and feeds right in.

I filled the channel with some plywood scraps leftover from hatch re-core. epoxy, csm, filler, some smooth cloth on top. had leftover primer. Spray painted Rustoleum gloss white because I needed it dry quickly and its mostly covered by the roller. The whole pulpit needs a makeover anyways..
.IMG_2202.jpeg
IMG_2218.jpeg

IMG_2233.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fowl Hooked

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
anchored several times today. Big thumbs up on the roller. anchor drops right out and feeds right in.

I filled the channel with some plywood scraps leftover from hatch re-core. epoxy, csm, filler, some smooth cloth on top. had leftover primer. Spray painted Rustoleum gloss white because I needed it dry quickly and its mostly covered by the roller. The whole pulpit needs a makeover anyways..
.View attachment 29711
View attachment 29712

View attachment 29713
Great to hear, thanks.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
update:

New capstan setup, with the new switch at the helm and the new tilt roller, is a big hit with the deck hands. They can stand in the open cabin hatch and work the anchor in comfort.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Here’s a bad drawing of the connections and routings Remember it’s a capstan. It only moves in one direction. So it’s a single direction relay and a single on off momentary switch.
IMG_2327.jpeg