2002 Express 330 Outrigger Bases Install

bevodog76

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Bought a "new- to me" 330 Express. The boat does not have outriggers on it. After much debate and thought we decided on the Taco 390-180 bases with Marsh Tacky 18 foot internal carbon poles. But, we're having trouble deciding whether to weld a plate to the aluminum, or just use a backing plate.. not to mention exactly where to mount them on the factory top. Anyone have an pictures of yours mounted? Is it worth getting a plate welded to the aluminum?

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Putting Taco GS-2801’‘s with backing plates on this week along with 16ft carbon fiber poles. I have a 30 Marlin with a fly bridge so there getting mounted forward a bit. I’ll get some pics asap.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Switching to GemLux. outrigger bases. Welded plates in. Repaired/reinforced hardtop. Installed shims.My old Rupp bases were backed with aluminum plates. The hardtops are cored and stress cracked them. I recommend welded plates but it is a project to get them installed.

Rigger Base 3.jpeg

Great example of a no-weld solution in this post.

1661248867822.png

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I would ask Grady if the factory tops were reinforced for the option or if plates are sufficient . If the top is soft cored, even with plates it may be prone to crushing and cracking.
At a minimum, post the model year of your boat and somebody may have the same or close to the same model year.

Fido

Reaction score
I have just completed this exact task with Taco Grand Slam bases and 20 foot carbon fibre poles installed in factory location.
I used backing plate underside and fibreglass mounting plate that spanned across hardtop frame. Did this with a previous 2007 Marlin 300 and it was perfect.
I can get some photos this weekend.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Express with Lee's Sidewinder bases and backing plates, but no welding. Mine are mounted (by previous owner) at the aft edge of the hard top. Not a great picture but you can see where the base is below.

I've had zero problems with this setup, so in my opinion, a correctly installed base with a backing plate should work great without the need to weld. I don't know if the installer used spacers as some recommend. I've had the boat 6 years now, and I often troll 2 heavy splash bars off each rigger.

The advantage of the rigger in this position is that one can easily deploy it without climbing up on the gunnel (I can stand on the step and reach), but the disadvantage is that I keep my riggers up at 60 degrees instead of my preferred 45 so they don't interfere with casting from the cockpit. I think the ideal situation would be one of those new fancy bases that lets you easily control the angle (I have to climb up on top of the hardtop to change the angle).

Attachments

• IMG_7828 (1).JPG
    IMG_7828 (1).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

bevodog76

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2003 Express with Lee's Sidewinder bases and backing plates, but no welding. Mine are mounted (by previous owner) at the aft edge of the hard top. Not a great picture but you can see where the base is below.

I've had zero problems with this setup, so in my opinion, a correctly installed base with a backing plate should work great without the need to weld. I don't know if the installer used spacers as some recommend. I've had the boat 6 years now, and I often troll 2 heavy splash bars off each rigger.

The advantage of the rigger in this position is that one can easily deploy it without climbing up on the gunnel (I can stand on the step and reach), but the disadvantage is that I keep my riggers up at 60 degrees instead of my preferred 45 so they don't interfere with casting from the cockpit. I think the ideal situation would be one of those new fancy bases that lets you easily control the angle (I have to climb up on top of the hardtop to change the angle).
Thank You!
I still haven't received a call back from GW, but the information from y'all is good!