2004 Islander - Setup thread

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I figured to make a thread detailing the refurb/setup of my "new to me" 2004 Islander 270. I know, not very fancy stuff happening, but maybe someone else will google this, like I did when I found you guys, and be able to garnish some info from it.

The "boat" stuff ties in below.. bear with me.. lol

Been super busy setting up my workshop, so I can prep for the start of the boat top. That is almost ready. The HUGE step forward starts Sunday.

We moved from Round Rock, TX to Cedar Creek, TX because I wanted a shop....and land in that county was super expensive to buy much less pay taxes on. So, I had a 30x30x10 shop built by Wolf Barns. In hind sight, I would / should have made it 40x50x16 and added a 14' door.. but never dreamed of having this boat 2 years ago.. heh

Anyway, adding a few photos of it below.. but I refused to put anything away till the walls were done... as you never go back and fix them afterwards. We built a cabin in the middle of nowhere and used fence wood for the walls as it was cooler than sheetrock.. heh. Did the same with my barn.

Now we have 4 sets of shelves up, and I cut the wood for about 20ft of workbench. Waiting for the rain to stop so I can assemble it. The tops will be 2x12's and 2x8's.

Then we have about 24ft of peg boards to add.

Sunday, we start putting a TON of stuff away, via the shelves. That starts opening up the floor space and the garage. I move the tractor and the mower to the garage.. and daddy gets his fridge, couch, leather chair, TV set up, with an old surround sound stereo system for music.. and all wired cat6...LED lights, ceiling fans, and.. I have a 3-ton brand new A/C unit.. muahahahahah

Anyway, the work bench is for boat and fishing stuff. I have a 10x10 wall section for rods and reels, and can use a few more sections if need be. The boat will not fit.. but I will build a cover for that soon, need the concrete done first.

Anyway, as for the boat:

Rain most the week.. trying to get the workshop done so I can get all the new boat stuff laid out and room to "work".

Got all the new parts for the top, so when it comes in, I have a dozen guys ready to help install it.

WMW Marine called yesterday and they were needing work right now, so may have it out sooner than expected. They said the only hold up will be it usually takes a few weeks for the actual top to be made, but the frame and all the rest will be ready beforehand. They got the check, so they are already working on it.

I have a new radar, radar mount, XM weather antenna, GPS antenna, 2 new VHF antennas...top will have a tall LED anchor light and led spreaders and 9 rockets, plus the enclosure "treads".

I have an appointment for May 4th at 8am to drop off the boat with a fiberglass repair shop. I expect them to first repair all the screw holes from the removed bimini top and the radar arch, then repair any nicks or cuts in the fiberglass, then replace the transom metal bracket. Then, do a FULL inspection of the entire boat and repair any and all issues. If we can afford it, we will get them to buff or at least strip and prep it for ME to buff and wax.

I have all new boat stickers, including the new name, "Cow Bell / Cedar Creek, TX". Yes, I know it is not a "port" but it is where we are from, and I think that is more important as to where we "hail from"... heh. If nothing else, people will ask, and we make new friends.

I got like 5-5.5" tall boat name stickers, like 3-4" tall hailing port, and 4" tall...maybe 3.5" tall...I forget, boat registration stickers.

My goal is: Get it ship shape, get the top on, clean her up... then, christen her with her new name.

I need to figure out where and how to register the actual name.. heh

I also, after the fiberglass is done, plan to find a GOOD Yamaha tech I can trust.. and have those engines inspected. This winter, if money is there, I plan to clean the cowlings and repaint them so they look solid, with new stickers. Debating white or standard color.

FIRST: Ship shape... replace and repair anything that is not "right"... worry about cosmetics later.

So... onward and upward and will update as I go!

The tractor top is down as I wanted to see if it would fit in the garage.. heh

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

Russ

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I need to figure out where and how to register the actual name.. heh
Russ

Boat names are not registered on vessel's using state registration. Names aren't even required on boats, but it does make it a lot easier when calling the marina for a reservation... :)

Boats that are federally documented with the USCG do require names, and there are specifications as to how/where the name and hailing port are displayed on the vessel.

Our Islander was registered in VA from purchase in 2002 until early 2016. I then documented it and kept it that way. It was sold in January as a documented vessel, and the new owners submitted the required paperwork to the USCG.

Brian

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I will go see what is required and make sure it is worth it lol....thank you!

Russ

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Uh, $133 a year to register a boat name....nothing to just stick one on there.

I think i will forego the registering lol

OZ WHITE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Remember to pay your dues to Poseidon if you are changing the name....Not that I am superstitious...

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Lol, I do not think anyone ever gave her a name. She had Houston, TX on the back, but no name...so, first name;)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sounds great. I like that you are taking your time and doing things right and the way you want. Barn and boat should turn out nice.

Reactions: RussGW270

seasick

Reaction score
If it had a name on it, it is bad karma for the new owner to remove it! Anyone else can physically do that. After the name is removed, there is a de-naming ceremony and a renaming ceremony

Vigor's denaming ceremony
"In the name of all who have sailed aboard this ship in the past, and in the name of all who may sail aboard her in the future, we invoke the ancient gods of the wind and the sea to favor us with their blessing today.

"Mighty Neptune, king of all that moves in or on the waves; and mighty Aeolus (pronounced EE-oh-lus), guardian of the winds and all that blows before them:

"We offer you our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past. We voice our gratitude that she has always found shelter from tempest and storm and enjoyed safe passage to port.

"Now, wherefore, we submit this supplication, that the name whereby this vessel has hitherto been known _____, be struck and removed from your records.

"Further, we ask that when she is again presented for blessing with another name, she shall be recognized and shall be accorded once again the selfsame privileges she previously enjoyed.

"In return for which, we rededicate this vessel to your domain in full knowledge that she shall be subject as always to the immutable laws of the gods of the wind and the sea.

"In consequence whereof, and in good faith, we seal this pact with a libation offered according to the hallowed ritual of the sea."

Christening ceremony

After a boat is denamed, you simply need to rename it using the traditional christening ceremony, preferably with Queen Elizabeth breaking a bottle of champagne on the bow, and saying the words:

"I name this ship ___________, and may she bring fair winds and good fortune to all who sail on her."

I think you can substitute a beer for the champagne:) and you can drink it instead of smashing it on you newly cleaned up gel coat.

Last edited:
Reactions: OZ WHITE

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I sent an email to the PO asking if it had a name on it. I will hire a voodoo doctor to take care of it.. lol :p

Seriously though, the "Houston, TX" is so large.. I doubt they could fit a name on it.....and do not see anything with a name, but we will see.

On a side note.. I started looking at something that may be interesting. I have 2 small kids...and sleeping arrangements are a "thing" so..

If you look at the Gulfstream 232, the drop-down bunk is like 85" long and maybe 14-is " wide.

I was thinking... and I am just "thinking" right now.. if I can see how to attach it.. if I add a few of the supports in the picture below, that fold away...I may be able to add a drop-down bunk down below, for times when I need a 6' extra bed for a kiddo.

Those things support up to 470lbs each. I could add 3 of them, fold the bunk away... and have, essentially, a 232 sleeping area, on a 270.

Still, as I said, debating it.. but....I looked at the area for the Gulfstream and you are looking at an inch or three more height, maybe...and the v-berth is 22" less wide than the Islander. While the bunk is 13" longer, there is a LOT more room for width....hell, depending on space, you could almost add one on each side and still have 22" in the center for the window to be open and air flow.

I know.. may not be possible.. but... it is at least worth looking into.

AND.. these things fold away...so..

Will look into it, but I need to see inside a Gulfstream also, and talk to the fiberglass guy about the plausibility next weekend when I take it in for repairs from the radar arch etc.

Surprised I have not seen threads about this before.

Russ
00bed support.jpg

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Uh, $133 a year to register a boat name....nothing to just stick one on there.

I think i will forego the registering lol

Are you referring to the cost of documentation? Initial documentation is $133, but annual renewal is $26. You may still be required to have state registration, but you not display state numbers. You may have to pay state or local property taxes.