2006 sailfish 282

mjmwelder

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade to 06' 282 went to look at the boat in Maryland, the inside cabin ceiling was cracked in three locations on the starboard side one of the cracks was at least 12" long.The owner said it happen a couple years ago but couldn't recall how it happened.The broker made some calls and claims this was a common problem with the 06 models.My question is does anyone else with the 06 sailfish experience this problem and if so had did you fix it so it look right? Thanks Mike

captain swag

Reaction score
I have a 2001 265 and also have a few of these cracks in the headliner plastic. I have talked with many that had them repaired while under warranty. But since mine were out, Grady wouldn't step foward despite the fact that this was a pretty commom problem on their larger models. The repair is done by "plastic welding"..kinda like soldering with a plastic stick. I have been told that when Grady's people did it, you couldn't tell it was repaired. I am leaving mine alone for now since they really are just a cosmetic problem and I fish more that use the cuddy...LOL

mjmwelder

Reaction score
The broker said the same thing if the original owner call grady white they would probably fix the headliner,however if I purchase the boat it would be on me to fix this issue.I'm just curious how common a problem this is

captain swag

Reaction score
There are several posts on this forum concerning the problem.

HBSteve

Reaction score
We have an 05 Saifish.....No cracks

Break Time

Reaction score
I have an 06 Marlin that has the same problem. Like it's already been said there are several post concerning this issue. I can see where mine has been repaired before if I look really close. Over the winter last year it cracked again next to the prior repair's. From what I understand it occurs from big temperature changes. I filled them in just using some almond color silicon. I can still see them but it does look better & not as noticeable. I have had several different brands of boat's over the years, last summer was my first season with the Grady & I love it. Imop I wouldn't let some crack's in the headliner deter you from buying the boat if everything else looks good.

fishbust

Reaction score
I have a few small cracks in my liner on the 2000. Not really noticeable.

I wouldn't call it a deal breaker but if the cracks are large and a real eye sore I would lower my offering price (as compared to a good liner) because it will be equally an eye sore (if not worse) when it is your turn to be the seller and trying to attract a buyer.

mjmwelder

Reaction score
Yes I thought of lower my offering price,but i'm super picky with my boat and it will drive me crazy.Also the rest of the boat was some what neglected the whole hull topside included was a chalk white instead of the almond color which means the hull would probably have to be wet sanded.I was looking for something a little turnkey.

fishbust

Reaction score
mjmwelder said:
Yes I thought of lower my offering price,but i'm super picky with my boat and it will drive me crazy.Also the rest of the boat was some what neglected the whole hull topside included was a chalk white instead of the almond color which means the hull would probably have to be wet sanded.I was looking for something a little turnkey.

I hear you. I have seen more neglected Grady's than clean ones on the market and they want top dollar for them and wonder why they do not sell. I live on an island where Grady's are everywhere and actually had to buy out of state to fine my clean, turn key machine for a reasonable price.

Hang in there, you will find the right one. Post pics when you do!

Motivator

Reaction score
I have an 06 Sailfish, purchased new, no cracks. However, I do keep a dehumidifier and fan running 24/7 along with a small heater running during the colder months. Not sure if that can be considered preventative maintenance, but doing so makes me feel better about things.

mjmwelder

Reaction score
Thanks I'm in no rush to make a deal my Gulfstream serves me well just like have a boat with a stand up bathroom for the family & a little more offshore capability.I called Grady White and they were aware of the problem,they gave me an estimate of 1200- 1800 to fix,said it would take about a day and a half and you would problem never notice the repair.They also claim its the change it temperature that's can cause this problem or if the headliner was install incorrectly and was under pressure but either way the boat is 8yrs old and out of warranty.So my search continues to find my 282 Sailfish lol

Finatic

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I'm thinking about moving up to a 282 from the 232 as well, basically for the same reasons. By chance was this 282 in Pasadena, MD? I saw a 2006 for sale there but didn't have a chance to take a look at it. Have you sea trialed a 282 yet? If so, what are you thoughts versus your current 232? I love my Gulfstream but I'm realizing that I'm spending more time offshore. Best of luck with your search.

captain swag

Reaction score
Look at the 265 Express if you are serious about offshore. Awsome ride in nasty seas.

mjmwelder

Reaction score
Yes that was the boat I Iooked at in Maryland.It looked so much better on the internet.The boat has potential but the way I keep my boat it would cost me a fair amount of money to get it back in shape, I will say the motors had less than 150hrs and looked clean. I was on a friends 07 Sailfish 282 in the Dealware Bay about a month ago it was blowing NW 25-30kts with a true 4 - 7ft sea running and all I can say is WOW the boat took the head on sea better than I could off ever imagined. I love my Gulfstream but the 282 is a beast two totally different class of boats.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have 2004 Sailfish and had a few headliner cracks. The dealer had some type of plastic welding that made them disappeat - have not come back in 4 years

dale1

Reaction score
2002, 265 express. cracks in the same areas. I didn't notice them. wife did. should be a fairly easy repair. dale

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Skip the 282 and go right to the 300 Marlin. The price delta shouldn't be much and with the Marlin you don't have to drive in and back out of the cabin! Plus you're not shoulder to shoulder when you're driving the boat. They both have the same power outboards and I can't imaging the fuel burn to be that far apart.

The 282 is still a great boat........unless it has the 4S 225 engines.

fishbust

Reaction score
Another Distraction said:
Skip the 282 and go right to the 300 Marlin. The price delta shouldn't be much and with the Marlin you don't have to drive in and back out of the cabin! Plus you're not shoulder to shoulder when you're driving the boat. They both have the same power outboards and I can't imaging the fuel burn to be that far apart.

The 282 is still a great boat........unless it has the 4S 225 engines.

Agree the Marlin is the Sailfish on steroids! The Marlins I saw run 250's and with the wider beam, need the 250's and figure the fuel burn would push me over the edge. Twin 200's are quite enough to feed.

Those 4S 225's are exactly why I didn't want a 282 and instead went with a late model 272 which is the same hull as the 282 with extended running surface.