2007 330 express repower considering 300 Suzuki

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
yes, this is with 2016 DF250 Suzuki's fly by wire

Thanks, that is impressive to say the least. Significantly better than I was seeing with the original 225's (~1.0 +/-) Was really thinking one needed to get up to a pair of 300's, but apparently a pair of 250's would do the trick.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'll post results with new Powertech props when I run the boat Sunday

Twin 300’s

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Not sure on the 33’ with twin 250 my buddy had a pair of 300 Suzuki’s on his 33’ express and went to twin 350 Dual prop and it made that boat it cruises at 33 mph and will do 51mph.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have always had Yamaha but I have noticed that the local Seatow is repowering with Suzukis. I have been meaning to ask if his motivation was initial investment or quality/dependability. Not a lot of convenient dealers close by either?

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have always had Yamaha but I have noticed that the local Seatow is repowering with Suzukis. I have been meaning to ask if his motivation was initial investment or quality/dependability. Not a lot of convenient dealers close by either?

I spoke to the Sea Tow guy from Palm Beach area and he said they cost a little less, they get a little better fuel economy and the get great service out of them. Sea Pro Boats is growing like crazy now that the original owner got the company back from Brunswick. Their dealers are all Suzuki so that helps alot. There are also alot of repower shops selling Suzuki. We love ours. The Yamahas are great too. We are going to be doing long distance cruising, so I was looking for the best fuel economy at a reasonable speed. With the Solas 15 3/4" x 15 3 blade I got up to 1.48 at 27.7 mph. Thats phenomenal, but at WOT I hit the rev limiter. Im hoping these new props will do the trick.

Reactions: Brett D

Fishtales

Reaction score
I don’t see 40lbs making much of a difference. At least not on a 330 Express. The power head being 4”’s further forward will offset some of that. The wet bath timing chain is such a big advantage over the belt. It’s worth the extra weight. No expensive adjustments. I also prefer the Suzuki backbone system over the Yamaha Command Link. I’ve rigged 3 Suzuki’s and 1 Yamaha in the last 6 months. Zuki is easier.

agree, but 80lbs here 80lbs there and it does add up. just saying....

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Did you see the post above that says Yamaha quotes dry weight and Suzuki is weighed with fluids. The oil and gear oil probably weigh close to 20lbs per motor?

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I just did some research. It looks like there is only 16 lbs difference between the motors if you are comparing the digital fly by wire motors.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
I have over 1k hours now on my 2016 DF300AP's and luv them. It's like a whole new boat after I replaced the original F225 dogs.

2003 330,.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thought it was reversed when I read it. My b.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Here is the latest result with the Powertech 4 blade 16x16 props. I can’t trim much at WOT without hitting the rev limiter. The boat is performing well though. It comes out of the hole great. I’m going to talk to Marcus at Powertech tomorrow and see what he thinks. I’m down 200 gal of fuel out of 350 and my water tank is low so when I’m full. These props may be just right?30A4236B-64AC-40ED-B4B2-587DBD3ED0E4.jpeg

Last edited:

Capt Don

Reaction score
New here guys, but just wanted to get as much info as possible on the Suzuki's.

I just gave the go ahead to install Suzuki 300's on my 04, 330 Express. The 225 corrosion on the starboard engine exhaust manifold head just blown a hole on our way offshore. Thank God that we weren't far from our home port and came back on the starboard engine. I've replaced and upgraded just about everything on her but this is a major upgrade so I'm curious as to your engine choice ( I see you purchased the 250's) any issues so far?

Thanks

Reactions: usmm1234

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
New here guys, but just wanted to get as much info as possible on the Suzuki's.

I just gave the go ahead to install Suzuki 300's on my 04, 330 Express. The 225 corrosion on the starboard engine exhaust manifold head just blown a hole on our way offshore. Thank God that we weren't far from our home port and came back on the starboard engine. I've replaced and upgraded just about everything on her but this is a major upgrade so I'm curious as to your engine choice ( I see you purchased the 250's) any issues so far?

Thanks
They are bullet proof. We have had no issues at all. I ran from Naples FL to Myrtle Beach SC without a hitch. Weve made quite a few trips since then. Great fuel economy. Just dont get Suzuki props. Get Power Tech 4 blade props. you want the LFS4R17PCL200 and LFS4L17PCL200 Im running the 16's with the 250's. I tryed Suzuki and Solas Props. Terrible. I get on plane in 5 1/2 seconds and can stay on plane as slow as 19mph. I turn 6100 rpm WOT

Capt Don

Reaction score
Thanks so much for that info, they just delivered the engines today and will install this week. I'll relay that info to the shop. Apreciate the quick response.
Tight lines.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks so much for that info, they just delivered the engines today and will install this week. I'll relay that info to the shop. Apreciate the quick response.
Tight lines.
Ive been full time in the Marine Industry for 43 years. I know all the engine guys. Off the record. At last years big Marine Trade Show. The Suzuki Guys Sent me to PowerTech. The 330 requires 4 big prop blades to run Correctly in all sea conditions.

Capt Don

Reaction score
Ive been full time in the Marine Industry for 43 years. I know all the engine guys. Off the record. At last years big Marine Trade Show. The Suzuki Guys Sent me to PowerTech. The 330 requires 4 big prop blades to run Correctly in all sea conditions.
Yeah i sent your gauge pic that you posted to my mechanic and he agrees those are impressive numbers. So he's contacting his Power Tech rep to see how quickly they can get those props over to his shop. Appreciate your input.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Here is the latest result with the Powertech 4 blade 16x16 props. I can’t trim much at WOT without hitting the rev limiter. The boat is performing well though. It comes out of the hole great. I’m going to talk to Marcus at Powertech tomorrow and see what he thinks. I’m down 200 gal of fuel out of 350 and my water tank is low so when I’m full. These props may be just right?

I don't think you should be running with them way down to avoid a rev limit
IMO I would try more pitch until you don't have rev limit problems when you raise them to cruise. A lot of people try really hard to get the max of the rpm range but Suzuki gave a range for a reason. Don't get caught up trying to reach 6100 WOT. You have a heavy boat and you want good cruise speed and mpg not blistering hole shot. I went thru a few props on my 200 zukes and more was better. If I had time and easy access to props I would just keep going higher til it got bad (bogging/not getting to rpm range) then go down one pitch. try 4x16x18.. if they are too much get 17s and you found the sweet spot....

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I don't think you should be running with them way down to avoid a rev limit
IMO I would try more pitch until you don't have rev limit problems when you raise them to cruise. A lot of people try really hard to get the max of the rpm range but Suzuki gave a range for a reason. Don't get caught up trying to reach 6100 WOT. You have a heavy boat and you want good cruise speed and mpg not blistering hole shot. I went thru a few props on my 200 zukes and more was better. If I had time and easy access to props I would just keep going higher til it got bad (bogging/not getting to rpm range) then go down one pitch. try 4x16x18.. if they are too much get 17s and you found the sweet spot....
The Suzuki Techs and the PowerTech guys are on my side. I don’t ever run wide open throttle Accept for testing. The boat performs beautifully on these props in the range that I run. That’s from 4500 to 4850. My fuel economy is awesome. These props also allow me to stay on plane at 19 mph full of fuel. These motors are identical in every part as the 300’s which are rated to 6300 rpm. The Suzuki guy had me reset my rev limiter. I’m right at 6150 WOT now. I hit 40 mph. The load is very light on the crank and rods with these props. The higher the pitch. The heavier the load on the internals. I run at 35% trim Up at cruise. I tested 4 different sets of props. These gave the best numbers.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The Suzuki Techs and the PowerTech guys are on my side. I don’t ever run wide open throttle Accept for testing. The boat performs beautifully on these props in the range that I run. That’s from 4500 to 4850. My fuel economy is awesome. These props also allow me to stay on plane at 19 mph full of fuel. These motors are identical in every part as the 300’s which are rated to 6300 rpm. The Suzuki guy had me reset my rev limiter. I’m right at 6150 WOT now. I hit 40 mph. The load is very light on the crank and rods with these props. The higher the pitch. The heavier the load on the internals. I run at 35% trim Up at cruise. I tested 4 different sets of props. These gave the best numbers.
Ok sounded like you couldn't trim up but 35% is pretty good. Still, sounds like these 4 blade 16s are the most pitch you've tried and you still reach max. Don't you wonder what might be possible? I know at some point you say "Hey this is nice lets go fishing"...thats kind of where I'm at.