2016/ 228 Seafarer 300 HP

wrxhoon

Reaction score
That's for a new boat but 2016 is the same even my 2013 is the same . Of course that will depend on load, prop and weather conditions. You can check it all at . https://www.gradywhite.com/models/walkaround-cabins/seafarer-228/

Seafarer 228 Performance Data

300 Yamaha Four-Stroke
SINGLE
Engine Size

4.2L
Test Date
1/6/2010
Prop Size
15 1/4 X 19 SWSII SDS
Weight as Tested
5361 lb. (including persons, fuel, water, gear, engines & accessories)
Hardtop
Yes
Bow Pulpit
Yes
Bottom Paint
No
Optimum Cruise
29.8 MPH @ 3500 RPM
RPMMPHGPHMPG

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
11755 3rd Street E Treasure Island, FL33706
Model
Seafarer
Great info. I saw the same info for another year with the 228. You pretty well confirmed things on my side going forward with my purchase. It’ll be on a 2400 mile journey but, I’m up for it. Running the first leg with just a trailer. Thinking of shrink wrap to protect the boat as another Grady owner pointed out. This 2016 228 has 217.8 hrs on the 300hp motor (Yamaha). Thanks for the help. If there’s anything else, I open to suggestions.

DBB

wrxhoon

Reaction score
If you are looking at the boat "catch 22", she looks nice but make sure you a survey, looks like she lived in the water all her life ( short life). I have the same boat 2013 model with F250, ( 300 hp is better) she fills my requirements, good in the open sea ( pacific ocean) and easy to tow with my Landcruiser 4.5 lt diesel.
I don't know if I would shrink-wrap for a road trip on good interstate freeways, no need for it in my opinion. I would take down the clears put the aerials down and somehow tie tie them on the hardtop with some protection. You will get lots of bugs hitting the front of the hardtop and dropping on the floor.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes, it the catch 22. You know the boat!. I like your advice and will take it. The surveyor is a must. I will also be purchasing a trailer. I’m thinking of buying it here to avoid any issues that may arise 1200 miles away. The plan is:
1 finish the financing
2 have the boat surveyed
3 buy the trailer
4 go
5 test ride
6 return

I do have some concern with the hull life for it being on the water. Do you think that’s an issue?

i appreciate your thoughts and look forward to your answers.

Thank you,

DBB

wrxhoon

Reaction score
The only thing I know about "catch 22" is that it is advertised for sale has been for a few weeks now . A friend of mine is looking for a 228, they are great boat if it is big enough to suit your needs. Perfect boat for my needs, I'm on my second 228. I'm in Sydney Australia so I can't really comment on that particular boat.
I would first make them an offer ( whatever you want to pay for that boat) when they accept pay them a refundable deposit, get the survey done, finish the financing, buy the trailer, drive to NY, take her for a ride, put her on the trailer for the long drive home.

I do have some concern with the hull life for it being on the water. Do you think that’s an issue?
Well I prefer a boat that lives on a trailer or on a lift out of the water but if she was well maintained bottom paint kept up I would consider as she is only 3 years old. I wouldn't buy an old boat that lived in water all it's life . One of the reasons I have a 228 ( and not a bigger boat) is the fact that I like to have her on a trailer at home, the other reason is I can trailer her up and down the coast to chase fish and finally cost.
Mt friend made them a low offer ( they didn't accept) due to the fact the boat is in the water and our $$ is low at the moment.

Buy a heavy duty aluminum trailer (7000 lb) if you intend to trailer at any distance, from a well known manufacturer, plenty in Florida, torsion axles, 15" 8 ply radial tyres, preferably Kodiak Stainless steel disc brakes with electric over hydraulic actuator, dearer to start with but cheaper in the long run. I have aluminum bunks on my trailer with these slides . http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html
Make sure they set up the trailer to suit the 228 hull, the trailer builder should have the measurements, if not get them from GW and pass them on.
If you are going to keep her in the water or a lift you can get a cheaper trailer.
Save your money on shrink-wrap .
Good luck with it, let us know how you went..

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are in Nokomis, shoot up to St Pete and buy the trailer from the Owens boys. (slideon.com)

It will fit the boat like a glove, and if you do have any issues, they are Johnny on the spot. I'm 500 miles away from them and the couple of rare times I've had an issue, the parts go out UPS the same day I call.

RE: Grady's performance specs...I've always found them to be a bit optimistic. Not saying the 228 with a 300 won't run 52 mph, but take their numbers with a grain of salt.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
RE: Grady's performance specs...I've always found them to be a bit optimistic. Not saying the 228 with a 300 won't run 52 mph, but take their numbers with a grain of salt.

I agree, I have a 2020 228 with the 250HP and I've never seen anything like 3.5mpg. More like 2, maybe 2.2. But I'm in the Pacific ocean which is pretty much always snotty. My guess is their numbers are real but only on a dead flat lake and no head wind.

Edit: I should add I run with the engine trimmed all the way forward almost 100% of the time. That's gotta hit my MPG a bit. But better MPG then bashing the crap out of my back in our Pacific snot.

Last edited:

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agreed. I bought this boat today but, not as an offshore racing boat. I want just want to get out there and back. I’m not running the Pacific but, I am running the Gulf in Florida. A long trip ahead of me next week to NYC and back.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you are in Nokomis, shoot up to St Pete and buy the trailer from the Owens boys. (slideon.com)

It will fit the boat like a glove, and if you do have any issues, they are Johnny on the spot. I'm 500 miles away from them and the couple of rare times I've had an issue, the parts go out UPS the same day I call.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Agreed. I bought this boat today but, not as an offshore racing boat. I want just want to get out there and back. I’m not running the Pacific but, I am running the Gulf in Florida. A long trip ahead of me next week to NYC and back.

My 228 is pretty peppy with the 250. I've come home on relatively flat days at 40mph. I haven't tried to push it faster than that, 40 is moving right along. :cool:

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Finding a trailer is no walk in the park. I checked a radius of apprx 75 miles or so with a half dozen dealers and nothing. Covid to the rescue again. Your looking at 2-3 mths . There’s no inventory. I lucked, really lucked out and found one. Very little, small operation got one yesterday and I trucked down and bought it. I spoke with Carolyn with GW Central for the necessary specs. Took them with me to confirm that it would suit the bill and it did.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The only thing I know about "catch 22" is that it is advertised for sale has been for a few weeks now . A friend of mine is looking for a 228, they are great boat if it is big enough to suit your needs. Perfect boat for my needs, I'm on my second 228. I'm in Sydney Australia so I can't really comment on that particular boat.
I would first make them an offer ( whatever you want to pay for that boat) when they accept pay them a refundable deposit, get the survey done, finish the financing, buy the trailer, drive to NY, take her for a ride, put her on the trailer for the long drive home.

Well I prefer a boat that lives on a trailer or on a lift out of the water but if she was well maintained bottom paint kept up I would consider as she is only 3 years old. I wouldn't buy an old boat that lived in water all it's life . One of the reasons I have a 228 ( and not a bigger boat) is the fact that I like to have her on a trailer at home, the other reason is I can trailer her up and down the coast to chase fish and finally cost.
Mt friend made them a low offer ( they didn't accept) due to the fact the boat is in the water and our $$ is low at the moment.

Buy a heavy duty aluminum trailer (7000 lb) if you intend to trailer at any distance, from a well known manufacturer, plenty in Florida, torsion axles, 15" 8 ply radial tyres, preferably Kodiak Stainless steel disc brakes with electric over hydraulic actuator, dearer to start with but cheaper in the long run. I have aluminum bunks on my trailer with these slides . http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html
Make sure they set up the trailer to suit the 228 hull, the trailer builder should have the measurements, if not get them from GW and pass them on.
If you are going to keep her in the water or a lift you can get a cheaper trailer.
Save your money on shrink-wrap .
Good luck with it, let us know how you went..

I got a trailer today. Hard to getem in the States. A two month minimum backlog. Trailer is a little light with a 6000 lbs max payload or so. Duel tandem with discs though. The boat has bottom paint. The owner bought it in 17 and used it very little. He got two SEASONS out of it up NYC. They’re seasonal. To cold to boat in the snow. I got the specs-requirements from GW.

Next week let the games begin. That’ll be a 2500 mile trek there and back to bringer home.

Attachments

• 91E58DF8-3555-4216-AC31-36046EA3D3D0.jpeg
    91E58DF8-3555-4216-AC31-36046EA3D3D0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 09B1D27F-FBCD-439E-B8D8-31A53D22850D.jpeg
    09B1D27F-FBCD-439E-B8D8-31A53D22850D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 6496B879-805A-4244-A015-E0791473F525.jpeg
    6496B879-805A-4244-A015-E0791473F525.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A nice looking boat that you have. I’ll have some pics after I make the journey to get it. I've read some good things about the 300. A little icing on the cake. People like yourself have been a lot of help to help to get me to this point. Not an easy decision without the experience of other 228 owner’s.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I lucked out this boat came locked and loaded with a F300 Yamahauler. The owner bought the boat in 17 and put under 218 hrs on the motor. Forty or better is fine with me.

For the record, I was not all the way down on the throttle at 40, I had some more room. I believe the specs are the 250 will push the 228 at 47, the 300 gets you to 50 or 52. I'm a n00b so 40 seems pretty fast, I'm still learning the boat, I don't want to pull some maneuver at speed and stuff the bow or tip the boat over. 40 is fast for me.

That said, I used to do the hole shot in a straight line. If I've been doing a drift over a productive area and I want to turn around and go back for another drift, full throttle in the turn in the hole shot. Works great.

I do not have this 228 fully figured out but I'm getting there. It is the only Grady I've driven so who knows, maybe other models are as good or better, but the more I drive this boat, the more I like it. I bet it is fine at 47-52. It's a nice hull, it leans over like a motorcycle when you turn. I have no idea how that is a thing but it is.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
First off, congrats on your boat. I had a Seafarer for 10 years and loved it.

This is a thought for the future once you get your rig home and settled in.

The trailer you purchased is too light. You will be at max capacity once you load your Seafarer with gear and fuel. I recall mine weighing 5800 lbs with trailer. I have heard about way too many salespeople selling customers inadequate trailers to keep costs down.

I have had several bad experiences pulling Gradys on under equipped trailers after believing salespeople. Bearings blow prematurely, welds eventually break and, on two instances, the axles bowed in the middle from the jouncing of the hull going down the road. That resulted in the camber of the tires going awry and wore the tread off of them before I knew what was happening. Once I beefed up the trailer, all those problems stopped.

This new trailer should get you back to Venice without problems. I would consider swapping out axles in the future, or investing in a more capable trailer, unless you just plan on towing short distances to the boat ramp or local marina.

In any case, permit me to wish you a safe journey thru the middle of a Pandemic. As you know from living here, you'll get many days, especially in the summer months where the Gulf is placid and you can go about anywhere. When it's rough or just too choppy, the ICW, Sarasota Bay and points North & South are easily accessible.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I thought that was a little slow. I,m interested to see how mine will handles at various speeds and conditions. This will be my second rodeo with a Grady. I ran a 306 for a few years. This time around, I’m looking for a little smaller breed with a cotton cab. I’ve spent my whole life on and off the water. Each boat is a little different from the next especially with different makes. I’m looking forward for this next adventure. I’ll be spending a lot of time on this one. After the weather cools a little, more weekends on the water. I’ll be curious to hear how things are going on your end.

Most of all, enjoy the adventure and stay tuned.

wrxhoon

Reaction score

I don't know about the fuel burn because I don't drive for economy, I drive to get there and back and mostly in open and rough seas so I can never get the figures they publish . Keep in mind the published data would be under ideal conditions, light load trimmed tight out and more than likely wind and current from behind. As for max speed, I can get close with light load in the harbour with current and wind behind me, definitely not going against. Gas is cheap and fishing time more important. Not as cheap as in USA , we pay about AU $1-1.10 per lt on the road much more in the water, so about AU $4.00 per gal ($2.88 US).