2016/ 228 Seafarer 300 HP

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
11755 3rd Street E Treasure Island, FL33706
Model
Seafarer
First off, congrats on your boat. I had a Seafarer for 10 years and loved it.

This is a thought for the future once you get your rig home and settled in.

The trailer you purchased is too light. You will be at max capacity once you load your Seafarer with gear and fuel. I recall mine weighing 5800 lbs with trailer. I have heard about way too many salespeople selling customers inadequate trailers to keep costs down.

I have had several bad experiences pulling Gradys on under equipped trailers after believing salespeople. Bearings blow prematurely, welds eventually break and, on two instances, the axles bowed in the middle from the jouncing of the hull going down the road. That resulted in the camber of the tires going awry and wore the tread off of them before I knew what was happening. Once I beefed up the trailer, all those problems stopped.

This new trailer should get you back to Venice without problems. I would consider swapping out axles in the future, or investing in a more capable trailer, unless you just plan on towing short distances to the boat ramp or local marina.

In any case, permit me to wish you a safe journey thru the middle of a Pandemic. As you know from living here, you'll get many days, especially in the summer months where the Gulf is placid and you can go about anywhere. When it's rough or just too choppy, the ICW, Sarasota Bay and points North & South are easily accessible.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
One more thing.. I read and realize that you were lucky to find this trailer. I would've bought it myself like you did under the same circumstances. What I wrote above was food for thought for the future. Eventually, that trailer will cause you problems unless, like I mentioned, your just towing short distances. Then it should be fine.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Finding a trailer is no walk in the park. I checked a radius of apprx 75 miles or so with a half dozen dealers and nothing. Covid to the rescue again. Your looking at 2-3 mths . There’s no inventory. I lucked, really lucked out and found one. Very little, small operation got one yesterday and I trucked down and bought it. I spoke with Carolyn with GW Central for the necessary specs. Took them with me to confirm that it would suit the bill and it did.
I hope all goes well with the new boat and have a safe trip home.
This Covid 19 has had an effect on boats and cars, they all more expensive right now. I would have thought they should be harder to sell and cheaper . People can't travel so they spend the money buying stuff, lots of government support helps too. In Sydney even property is selling well and prices are holding up, if anything going higher.
Things may change in the months ahead when government support is withdrawn.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It’s nice to hear from a local yocal. I’m pretty close to Venice in Nokomis. I’m looking forward to my next series of adventures with this one. I appreciate your info on the trailer I thought it was a little light. From what I read and was informed on this site, to get a trailer with a 7000 lbs maximum load factor. I bought this one in a pinch. There’s a 2-3 mth backlog on trailers. I had to jump in the only one I could find between Port. Charlotte and Tampa. I also checked out NYC. I didn’t want this one to get away I’ll be running local for now. I will keep it conservative given this trailer.

Thank you for the congrats, I’m chomping at the bit.

Take care,

DBB

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
The trailer you purchased is too light. You will be at max capacity once you load your Seafarer with gear and fuel. I recall mine weighing 5800 lbs with trailer. I have heard about way too many salespeople selling customers inadequate trailers to keep costs down.

I recently went through this math. My 228 with the 250 is around 5300 with full gas (114 gallons) and full fresh water, I don't remember the gallons there. That is just the boat. A 7000 pound GVWR trailer is perfect, it is very close to the limit, I think the total was north of 6500 but 7K works.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
im probably a little closer to 6000 on this one. The dims are good but, I think I’m a little light. I didn’t have much of an option. From what I understand, it’ll get me back and good for local transportation but, not recommended for longer hauls. Which, will be an issue. I’ll want to do the Miami-Bahamas run. Not to mention the Keys.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I hope all goes well with the new boat and have a safe trip home.
This Covid 19 has had an effect on boats and cars, they all more expensive right now. I would have thought they should be harder to sell and cheaper . People can't travel so they spend the money buying stuff, lots of government support helps too. In Sydney even property is selling well and prices are holding up, if anything going higher.
Things may change in the months ahead when government support is withdrawn.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Covid, yeah this stuff is getting old and making people a little uptight. I checked prices on this one . It’s not a steal but a deal. Out the door at $70,000. It’s a 16 that the only owner bought in 17. He used it for two seasons as you know. 217.8 hrs. ...It’s a bought and rot. That’s pretty good one about Covid and boats...they can’t get it.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
im probably a little closer to 6000 on this one. The dims are good but, I think I’m a little light. I didn’t have much of an option. From what I understand, it’ll get me back and good for local transportation but, not recommended for longer hauls. Which, will be an issue. I’ll want to do the Miami-Bahamas run. Not to mention the Keys.

Mine weighs 3100-3200 kg (6820-7040) on the trailer full tank gas and water and the gear we normally take with us so yes you are a bit light for long hauls. First of all get rid of the trailer tyres they all seem to use in USA and replace them with radial 8 ply, that will make a lot of difference. For the haul home stay at 55-60 mph and pump the tyres to the max rated pressure . Every a couple of hours stop and check the tyres, make sure they are not very hot and no bubbles on the side walls.
When I bought my current boat from Florida, the trailer she came with was 6000 lb. When she arrived in AU I had to pick up from Port Kembla about 80 miles from home. The trailer had 14" trailer tyres and only surge brakes , I was only doing 55 mph on the drive home .
My intention was always to swap trailers because my old trailer was 7000 lb and all S/S brakes and fittings even has aluminum bunks with slides on the top plus an extra cross member on the trailer , this trailer is 8 years old now but still like new . The trailer that came with this boat was only 3 years old at the time .

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sounds like good advice. That’s a good idea to keep an eye on the tires and check the air pressure when fueling. I figured id take it slow. I’m in no rush. I just want to get there and back. Wow, bought from FLA! You go to Florida to buy a boat and I go to New York. There’s something wrong with that picture. Kidding aside, thanks for the heads up.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I bought my previous 228 from a lake in GA, that one I actually inspected myself as I was there at the time . My current one I bought unseen but of course I had a survey done.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
From the pics, the trailer looks like a Road King RKAVTB2 series. If it’s 7K gross it’s about 5900 net.

if it’s the RKAV 20-22 I’d suggest seeing if the dealer has an RKAV 22-24. The bracket pushes some weight further back.

Congratulations.

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You hit the nail on the head with the trailer. The 2020 RKAV 20-22TB. Unfortunately, there are no other trailers available at this time. Trailers are on backorder across the country. I have a very tight open window for this pickup. I’ll call the dealer that I bought it from to see what we can workout for an exchange.

Thank you for the info.

DBB

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I called the trailer dealer and said it would probably be ok. We agreed to have me come in for their inspection. I’m also calling the trailer mfg. in FLA to get their thoughts. They made, they’ll know. Either way m I’m good for the trip pickup.

DBB

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That goes without question. I’ll have marine surveyor run an inspection before I go. I’ll have a title search done too. I’m using a brokerage company.
You can do your own title search. Google Florida VIN lookup and it will take you to a link for the state. Enter the HIN and it will tell you the title status, as well as if there are liens and who holds them.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I called the trailer dealer and said it would probably be ok. We agreed to have me come in for their inspection. I’m also calling the trailer mfg. in FLA to get their thoughts. They made, they’ll know. Either way m I’m good for the trip pickup.

DBB

If you haven’t already called them, it appears that All Marine Trailers may have a 22-24 in stock. Or can build one in a few days.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I run a 2018 L6 Verado 300 on my 1984 Seafarer with hard top. I am running a rev4 17P prop (4 blade) and get 2.74 mpg at 28-32 mph with 3/4 fuel, 4-5 guys, and full gear. I drop to 2 mpg at 40 mph. Top end on GPS on lake with no wind has been 51 with perfect tweaking of the trim and such and 1/3 fuel (3 guys). Normal fishing load she's 48 mph on the GPS. Paddle wheel speed says 55 LOL!

She handles great.