2017 Marlin?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm looking to add a Marlin to my fleet (which is a 228). I found a 2017 and I'm wondering what people know about how that year was built. I've been told that my 2020 228 has no wood in it, it's all fiberglass/stainless, which is nice, no soft transom, screwed up stringers.

Are the Marlins woodless? If so, when did that happen?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm looking to add a Marlin to my fleet (which is a 228). I found a 2017 and I'm wondering what people know about how that year was built. I've been told that my 2020 228 has no wood in it, it's all fiberglass/stainless, which is nice, no soft transom, screwed up stringers.

Are the Marlins woodless? If so, when did that happen?
A couple of threads on the matter.... it looks like the Marlin "is wood free as of the 2013 model year. Such was true for all boats 27 feet and up. For the 2014 model year, all boats 25 feet and up are wood free." Or at least that's the rumor from one of the other threads.

seasick

Reaction score
So what about the above the water line rotten core issues on later model Expresses?

Reactions: wspitler

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No idea. I don't know very much at all about the larger Grady's as they're well out of my price range.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I got my 300 in early 2007 for a 2002 28' Salifish on trade and $90K in cash. Can't believe that boat is $400K new now - just insane.

Last edited:

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I got my 300 in early 2007 for a 2002 28' Salifish on trade and $90K in cash. Can't believe that boat is $400K new now - just insane.
It's $320 for the hull and engines and stock stuff, by the time you add a $7.7K bow thruster $9K joystick, $3K fancy seats, $2K gelcoat, $7.5K for delivery, $5K for a custom cover that snaps to the hard top, $20K for electronics, and what not, it's under $400K but over $350K.

If you want stick shock, price a 33 Express. twin 300s with the joystick is $508K. Twin 425s with the joystick is $544K. Yowsa!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
moot point, the boat is sold, I should have jumped on it, it was $270K nicely outfitted, new is around $400K. Ouch.
Here’s a 2018 300 Marlin with twin 350 Yamaha’s for $272k back on the east coast in New York. No trailer, but looks like a great boat for not much more than what you were looking at.

Reactions: Stephnic

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
"Stang:

Interesting and encouraging. My Marlin is a 2018 w/350's.

Interesting because the owner is selling it so soon..Change Of Life, probably.

Encouraging because if I want to sell mine, I have a chance of getting close to what I paid for it.

It's a weird World....

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Here’s a 2018 300 Marlin with twin 350 Yamaha’s for $272k back on the east coast in New York. No trailer, but looks like a great boat for not much more than what you were looking at.

Hey thanks, Mustang, but that is not the boat for me. My 228 has digital controls, it is fly by wire, after having that, I will never go back to a boat with gauges and that boat has gauges. What I'm looking for, and will probably buy new, is digital controls, bow thruster, joy stick, I'd like the rod holders in the cabin, I'd like the fancy seats, I'm vain enough that I'd like the blue gel coat. Take all the likes out, I'd still want that boat, if you find that boat I'll give you a finders fee.

My guess is I'm getting new. Stupid money, whatever, I can afford it and I'm 59 and ocean fishing is my main source of joy. Dogs after that, wife after the dogs. Fishing is a big deal for me. So much fun out there.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Lucky:

I don't think that's a 2018. Mine is an '18 with 2018 350's.

My Marlin does not have gauges. I have the digital stuff.

The cowlings have different graphics on them than mine.

There are "Marlin" logos on the sides going forward. Mine does not have them.

The cabin doors are different than mine..More like my older Gulfstream.

I will not speculate on what's behind this, but I say it's an older model.

Moot anyway-you were pretty sure you were going new when we talked.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky:

I don't think that's a 2018. Mine is an '18 with 2018 350's.

My Marlin does not have gauges. I have the digital stuff.

The cowlings have different graphics on them than mine.

There are "Marlin" logos on the sides going forward. Mine does not have them.

The cabin doors are different than mine..More like my older Gulfstream.

I will not speculate on what's behind this, but I say it's an older model.

Moot anyway-you were pretty sure you were going new when we talked.
I'm 99% sure I'm going new. My wife is not on board but I'll get her there, she isn't about the money so much as having two boats and an RV, she wants less stuff. I might dump the RV but I'm getting the Marlin. I only have so many years left, I want that boat, gonna get it.

If I remember correctly, you don't fish. My internet friend, you are getting on my boat and you are going to fish and you are going to wonder why you didn't do this sooner. Fishing is like Christmas, you never know what you are getting but it is good. I can't wait to get you on my boat and you fish. It is so fun.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm 99% sure I'm going new. My wife is not on board but I'll get her there, she isn't about the money so much as having two boats and an RV, she wants less stuff. I might dump the RV but I'm getting the Marlin. I only have so many years left, I want that boat, gonna get it.

If I remember correctly, you don't fish. My internet friend, you are getting on my boat and you are going to fish and you are going to wonder why you didn't do this sooner. Fishing is like Christmas, you never know what you are getting but it is good. I can't wait to get you on my boat and you fish. It is so fun.
You know what; I'd love to. We almost went to Vegas with the band to do a hi-end corporate gig, but it fizzled. If that ever happens again, I'll try to tag a few extra days onto the trip and see you on the coast. It would be a great hang, and I'd enjoy the experience.

As long as you bait the hook....

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey thanks, Mustang, but that is not the boat for me. My 228 has digital controls, it is fly by wire, after having that, I will never go back to a boat with gauges and that boat has gauges. What I'm looking for, and will probably buy new, is digital controls, bow thruster, joy stick, I'd like the rod holders in the cabin, I'd like the fancy seats, I'm vain enough that I'd like the blue gel coat. Take all the likes out, I'd still want that boat, if you find that boat I'll give you a finders fee.

My guess is I'm getting new. Stupid money, whatever, I can afford it and I'm 59 and ocean fishing is my main source of joy. Dogs after that, wife after the dogs. Fishing is a big deal for me. So much fun out there.
I think one thing to consider is what you really need. I was nervous moving up to a Marline without a bow thruster (I bought used), but honestly have never needed it, and I find it easier to dock than my previous 268. Someone at my marina a few years back, had a new Marlin with a joystick, and that function couldn't keep up with the wind. I've heard they can be tweaked to give higher RPMs, but I don't have personal experience, only what I've been told at boat shows etc. All I know he scratched his engine on the adjacent boat's anchor trying to back in to his slip using something to make that as easy as pie. Anyhow, all the bells and whistles are nice, but they are also things to break and fix. I think I also heard the joysticks put additional stress on the gears/transmissions with the rapid forward and reverse transactions it might induce. But then again, you fish, and the "anchor" feature of the joystick would be killer for sitting over a wrecks or structure, so it might be more of why you want it.

Anyhow, good luck on your search and/or purchase. It's a great boat.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

No finders fee required but I appreciate the offer. Just trying to help another forum member find the boat they're looking for. Here are two more, both in the blue color I believe you mentioned above, one has a trailer and bow thruster, not sure about the other one. I don't know very much about the digital controls or fly by wire other than it basically being digital as opposed to a linkage style? Either way, I'm not sure what it looks like or if either of these boats has it.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Hey Mustang, that first one is the one I missed and it had the farkles I wanted (do boat people get farkles? That's left over from my motorcycle days). The 2nd one doesn't have the joystick.

I'm grateful you are looking but I'm a picky bastard :cool:

The way you tell if it is digital is there will be one 5 or 7 inch display (that is a Garmin with a Yamaha app on it) instead of a bunch of gauges and the way you tell that it has the joystick, is, well, there is a joystick, usually to the left of the throttles. That joystick is $10 or $20K and worth it in a boat that size. You can spin the boat around in a circle, you can walk it to the left or the right, go to youtube and look for
Yamaha helm master. Here is one:

It's pretty sweet!

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I hope she doesn't read this!
She just eye rolls when I talk boats. And I was sort of joking, she is by far the most important person in my life and she knows it. But my dogs are up there and ocean fishing is up there. On a day to day basis, the dogs probably bring me the most joy, but when I need a partner, she is there. That said, oh, man, the ocean is my happy place, I just love being out there.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I think one thing to consider is what you really need. I was nervous moving up to a Marline without a bow thruster (I bought used), but honestly have never needed it, and I find it easier to dock than my previous 268. Someone at my marina a few years back, had a new Marlin with a joystick, and that function couldn't keep up with the wind. I've heard they can be tweaked to give higher RPMs, but I don't have personal experience, only what I've been told at boat shows etc. All I know he scratched his engine on the adjacent boat's anchor trying to back in to his slip using something to make that as easy as pie. Anyhow, all the bells and whistles are nice, but they are also things to break and fix. I think I also heard the joysticks put additional stress on the gears/transmissions with the rapid forward and reverse transactions it might induce. But then again, you fish, and the "anchor" feature of the joystick would be killer for sitting over a wrecks or structure, so it might be more of why you want it.

Anyhow, good luck on your search and/or purchase. It's a great boat.
I don't know if my buddy Gary is here, he bought a 208 to see if he liked ocean fishing, he did, his son comes with him and likes it, that sealed the deal. He upgraded to a Marlin and he agrees with you, the joystick is a lot of help but when you need to turn the boat, the bow thruster is your go to.

I'll join the Marlin club, going to keep the 228 for a year, if I use it, I'll keep it, if not, someone is gonna get lucky.