2023 Adventure 218

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Oh I definitely realize that one isn't going to get those numbers every time that they go out, and that those are numbers that you'll likely only get in the absolute best of conditions possible. I'm sure when testing to get those numbers that the weather and conditions were perfect and that they had as little fuel and extra weight on board as possible.
I have about 2600 miles on my main engine and the average over all is 2.15mpg. I have a kicker so that is running out and in. I'm surprised it is that bad but I suspect the fact that I leave the main engine idling when I'm drift fishing accounts for some of it.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have about 2600 miles on my main engine and the average over all is 2.15mpg. I have a kicker so that is running out and in. I'm surprised it is that bad but I suspect the fact that I leave the main engine idling when I'm drift fishing accounts for some of it.
I think that the "inflated" numbers are going to account for some of it, the elements, conditions, extra weight and so forth also aren't going to help. That being said, if you add up all the MPG's for each speed/rpm bracket for my particular setup you'll get just under 32. Then, if you divide by 12 to find the average MPG over the course of your entire RPM range then you'll get a 2.66 mpg average. Depending on how heavily loaded down you have your boat, what speeds you consistently run, the conditions, elements and a handful or two of other things... I wouldn't say that's being too far out of the terms of reality. If you ran a very light boat with next to no fuel, no kicker, very little gear, no bottom paint and were averaging half of what their claims were... then that would be a bit of a different story. Alternatively, if you are pretty heavily loaded down, have a kicker motor, full tank of fuel, aren't fishing solo and are in less than favorable conditions while only getting half of a mpg less? I'd say that's doing alright. Perhaps Ky Grady or someone else will chime in with their MPG/GPH numbers here, as I can't find a performance data sheet online for a 228 Seafarer with an F250 on it.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think that if you're buying new and the price between two or even three different levels of horsepower are negligible then sure, by all means go for the maximum amount of horsepower that you can get, or afford. That being said, I bought my boat used almost 2 years ago now and most all of my vintage of boats came/come with an F225. Would I have liked an F250? Sure, I think that it'll likely have a slightly better resale value and that you'll maybe get a few more people interested in the boat if you do go to sell it. But, the boat was a steal of a deal and I didn't want to turn it down just because it didn't have the maximum horsepower that the boat is rated for. I can currently hit almost 45 mph with a pretty light load and by myself, of which I honestly don't need to really ever go that fast or even close to that fast. I typically "cruise" around 25 mph or so because I don't need a boat that's a "speed demon" and when you're going WOT you're going to be burning over 20 gph of fuel. Here in Seattle, gasoline is up near $5 a gallon, where I can only imagine it's going to do nothing but go up all summer and I typically get ethanol free fuel. Last summer it was $5.20 a gallon for ethanol free fuel, yet we're in mostly all protected waters with little distance traveled between my mooring buoy and where I start to fish at. Going fast just for the sake of going fast is only going to burn through more fuel and ultimately more money in my particular case, and to where I don't really need the maximum amount of horsepower possible. If you're going 40-50+ miles each way to where you're going to fish at, want the better mid range fuel economy or need faster speeds because you're weighted down with extra weight then sure, the higher horsepower outboards might be something to consider.

Last edited:

KnowWayPoint

Reaction score
Hey There,

New to Great Grady,

I have the new Adventure 218 getting rigged up at the dealership. Curious on any owners and feedback from the new boat.

I'm getting a a 250 with 9.9 kicker for westcoast fishing. I also have a 5 year old daughter so its a great family boat for us to cruise with.

Thanks
Why did you decide to go with the new Adventure? Currently considering this boat myself.

Ready-Freddy

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hey @KnowWayPoint, Looking for something to fish in BC - not too big but seaworthy & good for young family. We've had some bigger and smaller boats over the years and the 218 checks all our current needs. Time will tell.

I've been getting update photos from dealer daily and hoping to launch it next week. They have been great to work with and very happy so far.

IMG_3306.jpg

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Ready-Freddy

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Dealer sent progress of kicker and mount. They are offset and will need a stainless tie bar with some angles to steer and trim independently. We talked about the Garmin kicker autopilot but I really didn't want a remote control.

IMG_1303.jpeg

Reactions: apostleislandsphoto

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Dealer sent progress of kicker and mount. They are offset and will need a stainless tie bar with some angles to steer and trim independently. We talked about the Garmin kicker autopilot but I really didn't want a remote control.
I have auto pilot on the main engine. My kicker is not tied (tieing them is a pain in the ass). I've found that I can troll with the kicker and steer with the main engine on auto pilot just fine 95% of the time. If my path is perpendicular to the wind, I adjust the kicker a bit.

I have the Garmin auto pilot remote and love it.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
You use the main to steer while kicker in gear ?
Yes, main off, kicker on and in gear, the main acts as a rudder. Works well except in a cross wind. Then you just adjust the angle of the kicker. My kicker is a Suzuki and it has a lever under the throttle that you loosen or tighten to keep the kicker pointed where you want. So when I see the main engine heeled all the way over, I make the kicker match a bit.

Try it, it works well enough for me that I haven't gone back to tying the engines together. Unless the 218 upgraded you to power assisted steering, you may find that 250 is a bit of work to move around, especially at lower speeds. I am resisting tying them together for that reason.

If the 250 is tough to move, there is a 14mm nut or bolt on the yoke, you can loosen that and it will be silky smooth. The downside is then you have to fiddle with the auto pilot settings because a wave or cross current will make the shadow drive think you are steering. Sigh.

Ready-Freddy

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thank you for your explanation. Makes sense.

I think I'll try the mechanical system to start. New boat new system - I'm probably the guinea pig for this boat with kicker.

I'll update once I know how she operates and if I need to adjust or ditch all together and go with Garmin autopilot.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Unless Grady gave you a speed knob, this is an awesome one:

Really helps for docking and tight quarters.

lbi1971

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have the 218 , hardtop with mechanical 250. No paint.
Last ocean trip 72 miles, burned 26 gal per guage = 2.7 mpg.
Best cruise 34-3800 rpm 25-28 mph, 3.3mpg.
Hit 46 mph with a couple hundred rpm to go.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I like the look of the new swim platform, but how do they attach the bracket? Is it through bolted, is there access to the interior for nuts and bolts, or is it not as thick as it appears from a side view ?

lbi1971

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
There is no bracket, it's molded as part of the hull