205 Tournament

Visco.John

Reaction score
He guys, I'm hoping you can help. I'm between getting 2014-2015 Key West 211 or a 2006 Grady White 205 Tournament. I just sold my 1997 Boston Whaler 17' in less then 48 hours which has made me lean towards the GW knowing that the resale value is there with BW and GW. Can anyone talk about the ride quality between the two, and in spending roughly the same amount of money between the two, is it crazy to spend the same money a 10 year older boat?

Part two. The Grady looks to be in great shape for a 2006 and has no bottom paint and comes with a tandem axle aluminum trailer, Yamaha 200hp (I think a 2006 as well) with 420 hrs. He's asking $29,500. Having a hard time gauging if it's on the high side. Nadaguides (i know it's not accurate but it's a starting point) is giving a price of $21k to $22k. Other comps are around $25k-$26k (asking) that are 1-2 years older and less hours. What would be a good price that I could get it for. Going to look at it this week. Thanks guys

Attachments

• grady.jpg
    grady.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 16

hardasset16

Reaction score
I think that is a bit on the high side. I’d offer $25k.

As far as ride, I can only say that I have a 196 Tournament and the ride is pretty good for that size and style boat.

JAdams1

Reaction score
I was in the same place as you last year. Buy and older Tournament 205 or newer KW dual console? I went with a 2007 GW with a 200HP 4 stroke with 151 hours. I picked it up for $25.5K, no trailer. I purchased a new trailer for $3.4K so it is right in that range. I looked at that boat online and it is super clean, nicer than mine.

https://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/d/new-york-205-grady-white-tournament/6968347887.html

The ride in chop is very good, the Grady is heavy boat and good deep v-hull design. I am very happy with the Grady. One more thing, a clean 205 with a 200hp is hard to come buy very desirable. We looked few with 150's and held out for one with a 200hp.

IMG_0279.jpg

Last edited:

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I also went from 17 whaler to a 1999 GW adventure 208, a cuddy walkaround , I went ahead and re-powered it with a yamaha F150. You will be very impressed with the GW ride.
My boat tracks extremely well and does not have trim tabs, handles the chop well and is very comfortable for a 20 footer. The big difference for me is now is having a boat with a bilge, I've had 3 whalers to 22 feet and never had to think about a bilge.

I'm not familiar with Key West boats.

Visco.John

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. It wounds like if I can get it for around $25k it would be a good deal. I have to look a little more into the Yamaha exhaust issue I just learned about. Anyone have incite on when looking at a 2006 engine, what's a good way to tell? I'm guessing the only way is to remove the lower and inspect with a camera, or bite the bullet and just replace it.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
IMG_20181121_153001244.jpg
This is my 2011. Couldn't be happier with a boat in this size range.

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. It wounds like if I can get it for around $25k it would be a good deal. I have to look a little more into the Yamaha exhaust issue I just learned about. Anyone have incite on when looking at a 2006 engine, what's a good way to tell? I'm guessing the only way is to remove the lower and inspect with a camera, or bite the bullet and just replace it.
Although 225s have a higher percentage of issues, 200 have had the corrosion issue also. I don't know if the percentage is the same since I don't know how many 200 were sold compared to 225s. I suspect there are more 225s than 200s and would therefore expect to see more corrosion occurrences on 225. The observation on corrosion on several Yami models (not just 200 and 225s)came from a certified surveyor that I have known for many years and not on my personal experience. Note that the corrosion is not exactly in the lower unit, it is in the exhaust housing above the lower unit that connects to the powerhead. 2005s have more problems than 06 and newer motors. Latter model 2006s have fewer issues so see if you can determine when the motor was manufactured. It is very possible that a 2006 hull could have a 2005 motor especially if the hull was manufactured early in the 2006 model year run.
Regarding inspection, dropping the lower unit and scoping the exhaust housing may tell the story but in some cases, may not tell all the story. The oil pans have also experienced the corrosion and those are hard to see without pulling the powerhead, a big job. If you are going to pull the powerhead, just have the new exhaust kit installed, a new oil pan and a new oil pump