208 Adventure killed off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
208 no longer appears on the GW website. Walkaround Cabins overview page adjusted to reference only 2 models, so I assume it's intentional.

Hopefully announcement for a 208/228 replacement coming?

seasick

Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that but you are correct. It is not on the web site.I am not totally surprise though since the bow riders are so popular. Personally, I would like to see something between the Gulfstream 232 and the Marlin . Something in the 25 to 28 foot range.
I like walkarounds. I also like pontoons and I would get a pontoon in the 22 to 24 foot range before I would get a similar length Freedom. Of course, a lot depends on the kind of boating one does and where it is done.

GW22

Reaction score
I saw the same thing, why the hell would they do away with a boat you can trailer ??? 8.1 inch beam is trailerable in PA> but not over 8.6 what the hell grady I dont want a boat i cant trailer unless I buy a damm permitt !!~!!!! also I like a cuddy to get out of the rain????? why do all these boat companys jump on the damm center console band wagon???? why mess up a good thing who is calling the shots at grady >????????

Cobalt77

Reaction score
Spoke to a dealer yesterday. They're replacing it with a 216, will be using the same hull as the Fisherman. 8'6" beam.

Reactions: blynch

GW22

Reaction score
why do do people think they can get more for a discontinued boat ? if it is used it is used and decreases in value, it is wort what the condition is and hrs on the boat, a dealer will give you less.

seasick

Reaction score
why do do people think they can get more for a discontinued boat ? if it is used it is used and decreases in value, it is wort what the condition is and hrs on the boat, a dealer will give you less.
That happened to the Sailfish. People wanted them.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I saw the same thing, why the hell would they do away with a boat you can trailer ??? 8.1 inch beam is trailerable in PA> but not over 8.6 what the hell grady I dont want a boat i cant trailer unless I buy a damm permitt !!~!!!! also I like a cuddy to get out of the rain????? why do all these boat companys jump on the damm center console band wagon???? why mess up a good thing who is calling the shots at grady >????????
They go where the money is, afterall it's a business. Right now the money is in CC's and DC's.

People in hot climates also fall into the misconception that the cabin must be a hot box which is simply not true, at least when you underway anyway.

Reactions: v8boatbuilder

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I still think Billy has a point, It does not appear that the discontinued 228 has dropped in price since its demise. I am not sure what the concern is with unavailable parts (unless you need a new hull) the rest are accessible through different manufacturers of the bits and pieces with usually better prices than mother Grady. Yes I have a208......could I be biased? Up here in the north north west I would not purchase without a cabin.

Reactions: Teaserhead

seasick

Reaction score
I still think Billy has a point, It does not appear that the discontinued 228 has dropped in price since its demise. I am not sure what the concern is with unavailable parts (unless you need a new hull) the rest are accessible through different manufacturers of the bits and pieces with usually better prices than mother Grady. Yes I have a208......could I be biased? Up here in the north north west I would not purchase without a cabin.
The Gradys in general tend to use the same parts across several models and several to many years of models.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Prices for used 228s here in Australia have increased significantly since the 228 was discontinued.

seasick

Reaction score
A lot of folks miss the 228 option. I do agree that DCs are quite popular and offerings are getting longer and bigger. That said, I also see what seems to be a disproportionate (maybe I am wrong) number of large Freedoms up for sale.
Both auto makers and boat builders are not that good at predicting buyer's future purchase wants.
Cheap gas, large SUVs. Expensive gas, smaller cars and EVs.
The new large boats, with trips and quads may look cool but in reality are best for a pretty small boating group. I am curious to see what the end of summer here looks like for sale listings.

v8boatbuilder

Reaction score
Darn. As a 208 owner, this just plain sucks. This boat has done everything my family has asked of it and brought us back home safe. With regards to the parts options, it's a bummer. I've ordered replacement fiberglass pieces (livewell/cooler lids, pulpit) from my dealer because they are the same as the new boats.

Sure, the boat could have used a bit more beam (walkaround is tight, space between the helm seats is tight), but it's a VERY easy boat to trailer.

That said - I rig new Grady's with electronics for a living here in NJ. New walkarounds are rare compared to CCs and DCs. John Q Public wants to sit up-front, so based on what's been selling, I can't say I'm surprised.

I'll talk to the dealer we work with and try to get more details on the 216 that was mentioned above and post back.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the walks but I get it, you gotta make what customers want and people really like the day boats these days. Sad that the line up is so sparce, but three is probably ok. One trailerable, one on the bubble and one likely not.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Boy… that escalated quickly lol.

To the topic at hand, I always thought it was a bit interesting how they had essentially a 21’ WA, then a 22’ WA and finally a 23’ WA. I wondered why they had, or thought they needed, 3 WA’s that are all “similar” in length to one another. Obviously the boats are all a little bit different in that the 232 Gulfstream has a 9’3” beam and the option for twin main motors whereas the other two only have an 8’ beam and single engine main only. On top of that, both the 228 Seafarer and 232 Gulfstream have the transom bracket on the back, or at least have that option, whereas the 208 Adventure does not. But yes, having the 208 Adventure with an 8’ beam and then a 228 Seafarer also with an 8’ beam seamed rather silly to be on a style of boat that most people don’t seem to even consider. In the Seattle area people pretty much only use WA’s but elsewhere throughout the country it seems like 75-80% or maybe even more are DC’s and CC’s. Ultimately GW needs to do what is best for them and what they sell the most models of but I do still miss seeing the 228 Seafarer being available.

Reactions: Teaserhead

GW22

Reaction score
Hey Grady some people like to trailer a cuddy cabin!!!! so where you get into trouble is the width of the boat PA> only allows 8.6 anything wider needs a special permit that we dont want to buy period ! states are getting more controlling with regulations too damm many. so grady stops production on two popular boats we can trailer wait 3 popular cuddy cabin boats ! 22.8 22.6 and the 208 adventure we like cuddy cabin boats keep your wet center console. not a happy camper sorry!!! why mess up a good thing. I like the 23 but too wide 9.6 cant trailer it without a special permit. I really cant belive the company is that stupid who is makeing the decisions

Get the little orange Richard out of your mouth
WOH dint mean to offend you, man I live in the U.S.A. were I strongly belive in freedom of speech thank you. I was just makeing a point !

Status
Not open for further replies.