208 adventure performance data/repower experience from 200 hp up to the maximum (230 – 250).

RhodeI

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hi all! May this new year of 2022 bring health, happiness and prosperity for all! I would like to start this discussion specific to all 208 Adventure owners concerning your personal experience, questions or concerns you have specific to the 208 Adventure. I own a 2006 that is currently powered with a Yamaha F150 four stroke. I have just started researching to repower for the upcoming season. I am seriously considering a Suzuki inline 4, 200, but have not ruled out maximizing the horsepower rating for this model grady (230–250 depending on the year). Has anyone repowerd to the maximum horse power and if so can you share your experience and stats regarding your engine brand and horsepower choice. I have called Grady White and the obvious sweet spot for this boat is the 200 inline four stroke. I am personally interested to have the maximum horsepower for the torque, given increased sea conditions with this boat loaded up with 3 guys fueled up on a "pick your whether day" for offshore tuna trolling. I am not concerned with wot or maximum speed as we all know the sea conditions dictate max speed on the days sea conditions of tide, wind, heading ect. Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and thoughts along with any other question, concerns or experience that you have specific to the Grady 208 Adventure!

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Following. We have the same boat. How many hours on the f150? I believe 230 is the max hp for our 2006 model 208. So the choice is most likely between a 4 cylinder 200 hp and a 225 hp 6 cylinder?

RhodeI

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Following. We have the same boat. How many hours on the f150? I believe 230 is the max hp for our 2006 model 208. So the choice is most likely between a 4 cylinder 200 hp and a 225 hp 6 cylinder?
I have under 400 hours on the F150. the engine is like new and runs perfect. I am the second owner. This boat was rack stored and obviously had very little use. I have ordered a hard top from Atlantic Towers and I really like this boat. The F150 is underpowered when fueled up with 3 guys and gear. The yammi and zuke weights come in very close whether you repower with a 225 or 250. Given the extra weight over the inline 4 200, I am trying to figure out whether it is worth it to just go the max of 250 as you are taking on the extra weight for the V6 whether it is 225 or 250 anyway.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have owned 3 Gradys, none of them an Adventure, so this is not specific to your question, but my "generalized answer" may help.

I ordered each with the maximum power available. I have never seen sorry and will do it again (if) I buy another.

Fuel burn is the same or better than the lower HP options, as the mils don't work as hard underway, and you get a higher cruise speed with less RPM's. I don't fish, but that seems like a benefit to me if you go way offshore to get the Big Ones.

I realize some on here aren't worried about top speed, so they opt for less HP. I've never cracked the throttles on my current Marlin with 350's, so I don't know how fast it goes. I do know that I can cruise at 36-37 MPH spinning 3900-4000 RPM's in reasonably calm conditions at 1.3-1.4 MPG. That's a plus.

I also realize open water operation does not yield decent sea states for running fast very often. I still would rather have the power. It's not always rough.

Other than the increased cost, I see absolutely no downside. I also agree on everyone having a better 2022 than '21.

Reactions: RhodeI

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have under 400 hours on the F150. the engine is like new and runs perfect. I am the second owner. This boat was rack stored and obviously had very little use. I have ordered a hard top from Atlantic Towers and I really like this boat. The F150 is underpowered when fueled up with 3 guys and gear. The yammi and zuke weights come in very close whether you repower with a 225 or 250. Given the extra weight over the inline 4 200, I am trying to figure out whether it is worth it to just go the max of 250 as you are taking on the extra weight for the V6 whether it is 225 or 250 anyway.
When or if I repower. I believe I would go for the 250. I dont think there is much if any weight difference between the 225 and 250. And around 100 pounds difference between the 200 and 250. Cost difference is roughly 4k from 200 to 250. If that is a factor. I also recall a thread on here recently with some numbers with the f200 on a 208. Try searching for that.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have owned 2 208s. My first was a 2005, no hardtop with a F200 6 cylinder. I always thought it was under powered. My 2nd, long story, was a 2003, hardtop with a 200 hpdi. I thought this engine was perfect for the boat but it is a 2 stroke. 4000 rpm, 30 mph. great combo. That being said I would want a F225 or F250 if and when I get another 208. I would think the F225 6 cylinder would have more low end torque. I did see the max is 230 but those whaler guys are putting 150s on Montauks rated for a 100.

RhodeI

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have owned 3 Gradys, none of them an Adventure, so this is not specific to your question, but my "generalized answer" may help.

I ordered each with the maximum power available. I have never seen sorry and will do it again (if) I buy another.

Fuel burn is the same or better than the lower HP options, as the mils don't work as hard underway, and you get a higher cruise speed with less RPM's. I don't fish, but that seems like a benefit to me if you go way offshore to get the Big Ones.

I realize some on here aren't worried about top speed, so they opt for less HP. I've never cracked the throttles on my current Marlin with 350's, so I don't know how fast it goes. I do know that I can cruise at 36-37 MPH spinning 3900-4000 RPM's in reasonably calm conditions at 1.3-1.4 MPG. That's a plus.

I also realize open water operation does not yield decent sea states for running fast very often. I still would rather have the power. It's not always rough.

Other than the increased cost, I see absolutely no downside. I also agree on everyone having a better 2022 than '21.
Thank you Bill for that! I agree with you 100%. The issue with the 208 is that it is the smallest Grady in their Fleet and it becomes a weight issue at the maximum horse power rating. Grady changed the maximum horse power rating in 2007 to 250 hp yet the hull weight is the same for previous years close to 2007. I called Grady White and spoke to a younger person who was going to research this issue and has not gotten back to me yet. I believe this was a publishing change given newer engines are lighter but i am not sure. Grady White definitely likes the yammi inline 200 on the 208.

Reactions: magicalbill

Duke1903

Reaction score
Hi all owner of a 2000 208 and did a complete refit/repower this past season with a f200xb and am very happy with the boat/power. My biggest concern was the weight coming from a 200hpdi . The inline 4 was very close and worked out perfect

Reactions: RhodeI