208 trim tabs

pnw208

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hi all, I’m close to purchasing a 1997 208 that does not have trim tabs. I will probably install them pretty quickly as it seems they are needed. Suggested models? Any tips for installation?

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Hi all, I’m close to purchasing a 1997 208 that does not have trim tabs. I will probably install them pretty quickly as it seems they are needed. Suggested models? Any tips for installation?
I’ve had my ‘87 204C for some 7 years and never had a problem getting my boat to trim properly without tabs. It’s got a 225 on back so I don’t know if that makes a difference but it planes without hesitation without tabs.
I’d suggest you make yourself familiar with your boat first before you buy tabs. You may find you don’t need them.
I suspect that’ll be the case because being a ‘97 the prior owner didn’t see the need for it either in all that time.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'll take the other viewpoint, I wouldn't have a vee hull without trim tabs. Trim tabs are not about getting on plane, with enough horses, and the right prop. They are about being level side to side, whether from loading, being in a beam sea or a stiff cross wind, slower planing speed, and keeping the bow down in a chop.
10 X 12 would be a good size for your boat, but as Tom the Tabman used to say, the right size is the biggest one that will fit.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Tabs are fantastic and you would definitely notice a difference in performance and rough sea handling. However, I agree with Mike that you should get some time under your belt before deciding if you need them or not for the way YOU boat. It's really not important what we think - it's whether the boat does what you want it to the way it is, or not. Bennett Hydraulics have been a mainstay for decades and decades - can't go wrong with them. However, I'm intrigued by those new-fangled "Zipwake" style tabs...

pnw208

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks all, I suppose there is a reason this boat is almost 25 years old and doesn't have tabs. I'll run it a bit and see how it goes.

seasick

Reaction score
On the 208, the port tab is mounted under the swim platform(shelf). Depending on the tab you choose, you can find that you don't have enough vertical distance for the tab actuator to be installed correctly. In those cases, Bennett has a model with a shorter length actuator. I am not 100% sure but I think those are the Sports line of tabs. If I were going to retrofit tabs on a 208, I would probably go electric over hydraulic. Mounting the pump in a 208 especially one with a 2 stroke can be a challenge. Newer 208s have the pump mounted in the starboard cabin locker. That means longer hydraulic lines and maybe cabling.

steveditt

Reaction score
I have a 98 208 owned a few years prior to purchasing Bennett electric trim tabs upgraded control to LED light model lets you seen the position of the tab not the automatic control , it depends on where and how you plan on using your boat , number of people ,conditions , easier to adjust tab then move people , conditions I'm not in the ocean but in the Long Island sound and I use them to help keep the bow down doing rough seas .I don't have a swim platform and had the dealer install them when it was in for yearly stuff . So it depends what your going to do with your boat , they certainly help me .

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
16340776495632123469365929100636.jpg

Bennett Bolt on my 208. I took the boat out once without tabs. As soon as I got home I ordered them. Imo the 208 requires trim tabs. You won't regret installing them and the Bolts are super easy.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Similar to Mike, I've had my 208 for 4 years with no tabs. I have considered them, but had not seen the need yet. That said, I have not been on a 208 with tabs, so nothing to compare it to.
One thing my dad taught me, if it ain't broke, dont fix it...

pnw208

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks guys. Went for a test ride today and the boat ran great. I don't see a need for trim tabs at the moment.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Just adding my 2 cents in. I have Bennett 12x9's installed. I ran a couple seasons without them, then installed them. I would never run this boat again without them. By far the best upgrade I did on this hull. As stated above, they are most useful to level the boat in a crosswind and quartering seas. But they also let me stay on plane at 10 knots which has been useful when I occasionally have a long run home in the slop.

J-cubed

Reaction score
I have a 97/208. I have installed trim tabs and an autopilot. Both have made a world of difference. You will not be sorry.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
On a smaller boat thats on a trailer I would go with electric tabs. They are much more responsive and have a smaller foot print. I have had a set for 10 years on my '17 without a hiccup. My Bennett's have been good for their age but have needed much more maintenance.