209 escape repower

stewarzi

Reaction score
Just brought home a new (to me) 2001 209 escape. It is in pretty decent shape, but the yamaha hpdi 150 on the back is high in hours and the previous owner maintained it poorly.

I'm going to repower the boat before I start thinking about taking out in the gulf for some Texas statewater snapper fishing next summer.

Basically all of the outboards dealer are 70-90 miles from me (honda, suzuki, yamaha).

Ive looked at the suzuki and yamaha I4 200hp motors, and they do seem nice. However, Ive really been thinking about the honda bf150 for a few reasons:

1) I value reliability over pretty much everything else, and the honda outboards seem to have a reputation for it. Insane holeshot and maximum WOT speed are not as important to me as a nice, efficient cruise, ease of maintenance, and reliability.

2) A misspent youth of wrenching on honda/acura cars has given me an irrational emotional affinity for honda products. Im hoping some of my experience from rebuilding a B18c for my integra will make it easier for me to perform regular and meticulous maintenance on the outboard.

3) The weight of the outboard seems to be essentially equivalent to the HPDI it would replace.

4) Honda sea trialed the motor on a Robalo R200, and it seems to make good numbers. This boat is heaver than the grady and seems to have roughly similar hydrodyanmics. https://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/props/Robalo R200 - BF150.pdf

Has anyone here ever re-powered their grady with a honda? What do other escape owners have hanging off your transom? Are you happy with it?

Attachments

• IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 620

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Like many, I've had experiences with many different brands of motors - both outboard and stern drive. Too many to list. We've got a smaller 4-stroke Honda on a Sea Way in Maine and have had it since new... sometime around 2002-ish. It's been a good motor and I have nothing bad to say about the actual engine. But I also have a couple Mercs and Evinrudes that are even older and they've been great. The Yamaha on my Grady has been very good, too - although I've only personally owned it for 4 years - prior owner had it for much longer. My point is that I think reliability is primarily due to maintenance. A "negative" I would say about the Honda, though, is that (from my experience) they tend to be more expensive - both to initially buy and for parts.

There was a key point you made... the "emotional" part. That is certainly worth something and if it makes you feel good to have a Honda, then do it. But logically speaking, I wouldn't buy an engine based on emotions. And... don't expect an outboard to be anything like a automotive engine - different beast all together.

stewarzi

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I totally agree: maintenance is the primary ingredient in reliability.

I was just thinking it might be easier to maintain a honda given that the I4 in the 150 is actually extremely similar to the k-series motor as in the in late model crv. Also, I'm used to decoding the honda factory service manual for their cars. I thought it might be easier to stick with honda-speak than having to learn yamaha or suzuki-speak.

I think im going to get quotes on the 2.8L 200hp I4's from Yamaha and Suzuki. Those are essentially the same weight on the transom as I have now. It looks like they make their HP from higher compression which does give me same qualms about having to run 89 or 93 octane fuel (and having to find it at the marina).

I spoke with someone in customer service in Greenville and he essentially said that the 200 I4 yamaha is pretty much the heaviest thing that can hang off the transom in this boat.

stewarzi

Reaction score
just got all the quotes back from the honda, yamaha and suzuki dealers. I must admit that I am considering the suzuki much more than previously. here are the hard facts:

yamaha:
a brand new f150 = 13995
labor + freight + new ss prop = 300 + 800 + 600 = 1700
parts/controls (can reuse most of what I have) = 100
tax = 1000
total = 17000 (rough estimate)

a never run 2016 f200xb 4cyl 200 that the dealer has in inventory is 17000
labor + new ss prop = 300 + 600 = 900
parts/controls (can reuse most of what I have) = 100
tax = 1000
total = 19000 (rough estimate)

honda
a brand new bf150 = 13995 (yep same exact price as the yamaha 150)
labor + freight + new ss prop = 300 + 800 + 600 = 1700
parts/controls = 750
tax = 1000
total = 17750 (rough estimate)

suzuki
brand new fly by wire df200ap with new gauges, controls, and prop, tax, labor parts and everything out the door is 18455

All of the dealers are about 1hr45 mins drive from me.

now to the soft facts:

The honda and yamaha dealers seem fine. not bad but not amazing either.

I got really good vibes from the suzuki dealer though. I really got the impression that he (independent mechanic; there are 2 guys in the whole shop; veteran-owned; very straightforward and knowledgeable) would be halfway helpful if I ran into a problem down the road.

the initial price of purchase isnt going to make me purchase any of them because they are all essentially the same price.

I'm going to sleep on it, but I think I might actually go with the suzi.

Reactions: Bread

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The modern Evinrude’s are awesome. Made in Wisconsin USA. (masterminded in North America) The 5 to 10 year warrantee being offered without service issues may be enough to compensate for the geographic setbacks you have with a dealer.
Also - the Evinrude’s tilt-up clean out of the water. Leaving the lower unit to touch or soak in the water is something I never understood. It defeats the purpose of an “outboard”?
My super-biased opinion says to call a regional Evinrude dealer if possible. Throw a bone to Ole. The 1st!

LB2141

Reaction score
I repowered my 2000 Adventure 208 with the f200xb. Went from a 150hp OX66 to the i4 and couldn’t be happier with it. Awesome hole shot and efficiency etc. Take a look at the thread that Searosis posted. Don’t know much about the Suzuki or Honda but if the price is somewhat close to the Yamaha — I’d go Yamaha but that’s just my biased opinion.

stewarzi

Reaction score
Well, I think ive decided to stop torturing myself and just get the honda like I'd originally planned.

I also ordered the 88gal tank from florida marine tanks as the old tank had a fair bit of corrosion.

Does anyone know of a shop in the Houston, TX area where I could have the tank installed.

seasick

Reaction score
stewarzi said:
Well, I think ive decided to stop torturing myself and just get the honda like I'd originally planned.

I also ordered the 88gal tank from florida marine tanks as the old tank had a fair bit of corrosion.

Does anyone know of a shop in the Houston, TX area where I could have the tank installed.
Interesting. My 2001 208 hull has a poly tank. I am surprised yours is aluminum.

stewarzi

Reaction score
yep. i called and got the part number from the parts dept in greenville. it is part# 19-116 for a 2001 escape. it appears to be aluminum.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For $1200 more you can get 50 more HP plus a far larger dealer network. The Yamaha will also be a better value come resale time.

If it were me, I'd lean toward the F200 i4....

seasick

Reaction score
All good motors . I would not go with the Yami F150 though. It will be under-powered and a bit too heavy. I don't know the weight offhand of the other motors but be sure to verify. If the new motor weighs significantly more than the original motor, the stern may ( and probably will) sit low. The Yami I4 200 is just about a perfect match.
Service and support is important of course and I think you have taken that into account.
I have reservations about the Honda quote as it pertains to the rigging. The labor seems low considering that all gauges I assume have to be replaced as well as wiring harness, ignition switch and maybe control cables.

Whichever option you choose, get the quote in writing and have everything that was promised written on the quote.

Good luck.

Bread

Reaction score
Good info, Agree with Seasick on "in writing".

Are New Battery(ies) required? Are 6 year warranties still around?

Hopefully one of the dealers will get creative with final prices. Thanks for sharing and good luck!

stewarzi

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post an update. I ended up going with a brand new 2019 Yamaha f200xb. The service network ended up being the selling point. We primarily keep the boat in a dry stack in Rockport, TX and it was just really hard to find someone to work on a honda if we were in need of serious repairs. With a 6 year warraty, being able to re-use my current controls, and some bargaining with the dealer, the out the door price was $18,700. We haven't gotten to use the boat nearly as much as we'd like due to work, but so far the thing has feels pretty awesome. I'll hopefully be able to report back with fuel burn and more detailed performance number this summer.

Attachments

• IMG_1579.JPEG
    IMG_1579.JPEG
    743.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2791.jpeg
    IMG_2791.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Reactions: Bread

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Congrats. New motor equals new boat! It's 2020 and all those motors are fine. You will be happy.