228 Kicker Placement

Pescadote

Reaction score
On all of my previous boats I have always had the kicker on the port side. However, I am seeing more pictures of 228s with the kicker on the starboard side. The swim step is already on the port side, so I would have to move that if I were to go with port side.

I just bought a used Yamaha T8 kicker with tiller and will be buying an aftermarket kicker bracket. I like to stand at the back to backtroll when halibut fishing, so I suppose I could get used to it on the "opposite" side? For salmon trolling I will use a tie bar to the main.

BTW, loving the thread on electronic placement as I am also pondering this decision as well.

Overthinking this?

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mine is on starboard side. Seems like the overwhelming majority of 228 owners place them on the port side for weight distribution.

My swim step is on the port side too.

I like mine where it is, but adds that 100lbs to the driver's side.

Best thing I added was a electronic throttle control at the helm for it.

At the end of the day, what works best for you?

Best of luck,

My throttle box is just to the left of the switch panel.

Lee

20200403_144121.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Pighunter

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
You'll get a lot of opinions but I installed my T9.9 to starboard. My batteries and swim platform were already to port so easier and better balance. It allows me to use my inboard hand to operate the tiller and my outboard hand free to hold a rod or a crab net. I'm not sure if this would be an issue but installing to port you wouldn't want the tiller to extend beyond the hull where it could get hit, that can't happen installing to starboard. A single engine propeller rotation will naturally lift the port side at cruse so starboard installation provides balance.

Whatever side you decide, dry fit it before drilling. Make sure the tiller or kicker can't hit the main engine are up or down.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I mounted mine on the port side as it seemed to balance the boat better.

Tuidawgs11

Reaction score
Mounted on Port side, moved 1 battery, cut swim step and moved the swim step support in. The bracket is from Adventure Marine ( high thrust bracket). Running Garmin TR1 with throttle control.

Attachments

• E49EC30F-486D-430D-BD15-5A8AEC8A7ED0.jpeg
    E49EC30F-486D-430D-BD15-5A8AEC8A7ED0.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • B8C3813C-9734-42AE-A080-F9A484CF89C0.jpeg
    B8C3813C-9734-42AE-A080-F9A484CF89C0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

KEZ

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just completed the install on my kicker (2016 T9.9 on a 2008 228 with F250 and full swim platform. First of all, after much research, I purchased the PDR swim platform bracket because they also make a brace that bolts under the platform to add extra strength and tie it in with the transom. Bracket and brace were well made and nicely finished but be forwarded the shop took 3-4 months to get my order filled - they are short of help right now.

I decided on starboard mounting since batteries are on port side, and ladder from swim platform is lready mounted on port side. Mocked up the bracket on starboard side centered between main motor and upper swim platform bracket. Everything looked fine but when tilted all the way up and turned fully for left turn, the cables would drag on the upper swim platform bracket. So I used a piece of 1.5 inch PVC pipe to lift the motor on the mounting bracket, and that improved the cable interference and also allowed for the electric steering to clear the bracket. It also will assure that the lower unit will be out of the water at full tilt when under speed with the main motor. Installed the bracket to the swim platform first, using the outside bolts, measured the location and drilled the center holes through the bracket and platform for the support brace, then used those holes to guide the proper placement of the underside bracket, then drilled the transom holes for lag bolts. also drilled 2 inch hole in transom for all the cabling - sealed the hole with 3M marine sealant and installed a boot.

Attachments

• IMG-3078.jpg
    IMG-3078.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG-3080.jpg
    IMG-3080.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG-3079.jpg
    IMG-3079.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24

KEZ

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Next task was to find a suitable place at the helm to mount the 703 Yamaha controls - best place for me was on the left side of the console - the cabling is routed down under the footrest and behind removable cover (notched the cover where cables pass through). all the cables pass under the starboard gunnel to the rear And through the transom. I decided to use a Tailfin electric steering rather than a tie bar to the main motor. It comes with a remote, but also has a wired 2-button controller that can be mounted on the helm. Unfortunately the wires come out of the side of the switch and it had a rather large plug on the other end. Not wanting to drill a 1 inch hole in my console I finally figured out I could take out the compass, notch a slot right above the compass hole for the wires, and drop the large connector through the compass hole, push the wire into the notch and seal with some 3M, then reinstall the compass. Clean mounting and easy to reach from helm seat. Last pic shows the tailfin steering installed, and you can see the PVC pipe under the motor bracket that provides an extra 1.5 inches height - this helped the tailfin steering rod clear the upper swim platform bracket and keeps the steering linkage from binding on anything when fully tilted up. The steering link back to the motor will bind against the swim platform bracket and full left turn, but not badly enough to bend anything, and as long as you remember to set the motor at straight ahead to full right turn before raising it to full tilt, it works great.

I cannot seem to post a video here to show it working but I love the way it turned out. If anyone needs additional pics, measurements or other info just drop me a note - more than happy to help.

Kent

Attachments

• IMG-3106.jpg
    IMG-3106.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • Control.jpg
    Control.jpg
    874.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Tailfin Steering.jpg
    Tailfin Steering.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Why not move the black starboard mounting block up on the metal bracket, rather than sitting the motor on a piece of PVC pipe? Is there an option for mounting bolts on that size motor, or are they only screw clamps?

KEZ

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Why not move the black starboard mounting block up on the metal bracket, rather than sitting the motor on a piece of PVC pipe? Is there an option for mounting bolts on that size motor, or are they only screw clamps?
I thought about doing that but for a couple of reasons decided to go the other route. First of all there are a couple of bolts placed where the nuts sit right between the bracket and the swim platform - I would have had to completely remove the bracket again to get those two nuts off. In addition, moving the mounting block up would have left 6 holes either in the bracket or the block - I would prefer the installation look clean. Third, my main motor is mounted an inch or two above the bracket, so the kicker kind of matches now. I do have through bolts that supplement the screw down clamps, the pipe was mainly used to hold the motor up and even while I drilled out the holes for the through bolts. Now that it is installed, the pipe could be removed, but you would have to figure out how to line those holes back up again while bearing the motor weight. Easier just to cut the pipe to length and leave it there, it is not very noticeable.

Timcan

Reaction score
Great install I did a similar one 2 years ago and I’m super happy with it. Your steering and throttle are an upgrade from what I did you are going to be happy with it good choice.

Attachments

• 7A75EEEA-E427-42E2-8106-F74B8A47AE16.jpeg
    7A75EEEA-E427-42E2-8106-F74B8A47AE16.jpeg
    908.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 29689E58-D88D-4201-8E3C-4F2E9F465810.jpeg
    29689E58-D88D-4201-8E3C-4F2E9F465810.jpeg
    985.7 KB · Views: 26

KEZ

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great install I did a similar one 2 years ago and I’m super happy with it. Your steering and throttle are an upgrade from what I did you are going to be happy with it good choice.
Thanks Timcan - yours looks great too! Where did you get your bracket? Looks like it is taller than mine, so would not need the spacer. We hope to get out fishing on Friday to try mine out!

Timcan

Reaction score
DSS welding in Canada. I sent him pictures/measurements of what I wanted and he custom made it. I troll for Salmon and Bluefin( when’s they are here) in the SF Bay area and it’s perfect.

KEZ

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Excellent! I used to live in Bay area and had a Sunbird Neptune 202 to fish for stripers in the delta. I now live down in San Luis Obispo, and bought the 228 to start ocean fishing - will have to learn the best techniques for trolling for salmon and tuna!

Timcan

Reaction score
That’s great feel free to send me a Pm we can talk on how to fish for them. It’s always good to build a network when the fish are up here you can jump on my boat and we can go out. By the way yes my bracket is higher I think like 9 or 10 inches.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Just catching up, in my 228 the batteries are on the port side so I put my kicker on the starboard side and I'm happy with that choice.