228G Seafarer Advice on inside cushions along gunwales

Fishtales

Reaction score
you can see how simple they are to make. can use plastic, marine or even PT wood, cut the holes, stretch over the material and staple with monel or SS staples. then slide on. prob all you need. you can get the material and padding online if you want to do yourself. the only tricky part is the corners. you could run them into the corners and install a small piece aft. prob looks just as good if not better with no sewing.

seasick

Reaction score
you can see how simple they are to make. can use plastic, marine or even PT wood, cut the holes, stretch over the material and staple with monel or SS staples. then slide on. prob all you need. you can get the material and padding online if you want to do yourself. the only tricky part is the corners. you could run them into the corners and install a small piece aft. prob looks just as good if not better with no sewing.
I agree, plain material is a easier to fabricate. The pleated adds another level of complexity since the corners need to be pieced with plain sections to make the turn as do the end caps. The pleated isn't stretchable enough for the turns.
If you are going to use the plain material, it may make sense to look at the off the shelf bolsters. You wouldn't have the corners of course but you really don't need them. The question is whether you can buy the pre-mades in short sections for the rear sections.
I found this option in 3 or 4 foot sections
but I can't find shorter than 36 inches.

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Might want to reach out to A&J Canvas, they have the pleated/ribbed material, saw them doing some cushions last year when I was there.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

I'm going to purchase a set from this company and do partial bolsters on my 228. Their prices seem fair, and they will fabricate either smooth or ribbed for the same price. Since all my cushions are smooth, I will go that route.

Reactions: DoctorOctopus

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think this is an all-around much easier way of mounting: https://www.sailrite.com/BeauClip-Panel-Mounting-System-Black

Also, there is no point to using starboard you can't see. I would use Starboard XL (extra light, and a bit cheaper) or as suggested PVC backing board. possibly painted plywood (external enamel rather than oil would be easier)

1592005987791.png

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That's an amazing price. $130 for bolsters, after you consider the costs is remarkable.

I'm going to purchase a set from this company and do partial bolsters on my 228. Their prices seem fair, and they will fabricate either smooth or ribbed for the same price. Since all my cushions are smooth, I will go that route.

Reactions: leeccoll