23 Gulfstream question

momoney

Reaction score
I have a 1991 Gulfstream and need to replace bulkheads on both starboard/port sides as the bottom areas are both in bad shape...
Probably covered on here before but how much strength do these bulkheads ad to the overall structure
of the hull??

momoney

Reaction score
I have a 1991 Gulfstream and need to replace bulkheads on both starboard/port sides as the bottom areas are both in bad shape...
Probably covered on here before but how much strength do these bulkheads ad to the overall structure
of the hull??
These bulkheads/walls are between the cabin and the front seats....

artodea

Reaction score
The panel on the port side and the small panel under the helm on the starboard side provide no structural support. The screws holding them in place are something like a no. 8 trim screw. The center panel, however, is structural as demonstrated by the larger (and numerous) bolts.

You posted this in the Gulfstream regional section - which is for those that are somewhere near the gulfstream, I guess. It is not a Gulfstream model forum. Confusing? you bet.

momoney

Reaction score
The panel on the port side and the small panel under the helm on the starboard side provide no structural support. The screws holding them in place are something like a no. 8 trim screw. The center panel, however, is structural as demonstrated by the larger (and numerous) bolts.

You posted this in the Gulfstream regional section - which is for those that are somewhere near the gulfstream, I guess. It is not a Gulfstream model forum. Confusing? you bet.

Sorry about that, you are exactly right...
I stand corrected

rprieser

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I know this is an older thread but here is my 2 cents. When refurbishing my 1988 232 both bulkheads were rotted out, used 3/4 inch marine grade plywood covered on both sides with off white Formica. Looks great and still kicking after 3 years. I did place a 4 inch strip of .062 thick aluminum across the bottom for a little reinforcement and act as a kick plate. Don't forget to seal the sides from water intrusion.

seasick

Reaction score
There are bulkheads that are structural and there are 'bulkheads' that are more cosmetic than structural. For example, any bulkhead below the deck is probably structural. The bulkheads that separate the helm from the cabin for example are not structural in the same way.