232 Gulfstream trailering

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey BB:

The new 1/2 's have a higher tow rating than the older trucks. At 9200lbs, your kinda on the edge, but I would consider it, given your situation..

1.) This is KEY: Make sure your trailer is overbuilt. I have said this on many occasions. My 232 had a tandem with 7000lb axles & electric brakes. Do not let salesmen, etc talk you into a marginal trailer that has no "cushion" for safety. Otherwise, bearings blow, welds break over time and in each instance, your on the side of the road with a breakdown cutting into your vacation time.

2.) Make CERTAIN the hitch assembly on your F150 is rated to tow 10K. I think the proper hitch is a Class V, but I'm not sure. A 1/2 ton truck may very well be equipped with an inadequate hitch for your particular needs. Your 9200 tow cap does you no good if the weakest link in the chain is your hitch. Also double-check the rating on the hitch ball & drawbar. That needs to be 10k as well.

3.) Don't be me. (This is advice I would give most anyone...) Lighten your load. Tow with low fuel, minimize gear, etc. As others have said, it adds up alarmingly fast. I didn't care..I towed with tanks topped off and had my whole life stuffed into the cabin and livewells. However, I had a Dodge Cummins Dually so it didn't matter. At least to me.

4.) Drive conservatively. I see so many people zipping by me, towing boats at 70+. This is not a Bass Boat. You will do your truck, trailer & boat a huge favor if you limit your speed and acceleration. It will be much easier on all components, especially in your circumstance since your kind of "on the edge" with your truck tow rating.

5.) If possible, get electric over hydraulic brakes. I had them on my Marlin tri-axle trailer and they stopped the rig perfectly. That package was 14,300 lbs, so it was significant.

6.) Tires. So far I and others on here have had good luck with Goodyear Endurance tires. They are the replacement for the old Marathon line, which are no longer reliable. Whatever you get, make sure they are the highest load range possible.

7.) My friend jimfish has some good points above on this thread also.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Magicalbill

Thank you very much for the detailed response. You've basically outlined many of the things I have been pondering. I think it is possible with my current truck. I do hope to replace it in the next 3-4 years (with another F150 likely). I don't have any great needs for long distance hauling and would just cut that out if it wasn't possible. The advice on the trailer is very helpful!

I think I will include the 232 on my shortlist and see what comes available for sale next year.

Thanks!
BB

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Your most welcome. The 232 is a marvelous boat; Keep us informed!

mhff34

Reaction score
I Tow mine all the time with a Tundra. I know its back there but you get used to it. Some of the ramps in my area are more challenging than the towing.
No one bothers me about the width.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I Tow mine all the time with a Tundra. I know its back there but you get used to it. Some of the ramps in my area are more challenging than the towing.
What is your total weight of boat/motor/trailer? What is the towing capacity of your tundra?

I've been really thinking a lot more about the 232 and it seems like a pretty fantastic boat for Lake Superior. My wife and I were chatting about the need to trailering the other night and really came to the conclusion that we won't be doing much of it. Boat would stay on a lift all season and basically just get pulled to winterize and store. We figured we would may be more likely to take the boat by water than drive it to northern Michigan.

mhff34

Reaction score
Towing capacity of the Tundra is around 9,500. Not sure what the total weight of the boat and trailer is, I have a single yahmaha 300. I really don't feel like towing it is a big deal at all, although I mostly tow it around town. I do wish sometimes I had a bigger vehicle when I'm unloading it on a steep ramp. Pulling out no problem with 4 wheel drive in tow/haul setting which is a big help.

The boat itself is really incredible. I had a 208 and a 272. It's twice the boat of a 208 and probably rides as well as the 272 once dialed in trimmed out etc. There's a lot of storage on the post 05 models with the fold down back seat and the cabin is awesome. The 272 had a shower which took up alot of room and I could never totally stretch out. The 232 after I removed the bunk is better for sleeping/napping at least for me.

I've had mine for a year now and am really impressed. I feel like I can do anything in this boat including trailering.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thank you very much for your info. My F150 is 9200lb, if you saw from above I am in the same boat as mostly around town trailer work. The more I look at a 232 the more I think it or the 258 would be the two boats I want. Whichever comes available first.

mhff34

Reaction score
Good luck I think you will be happy with either. Will tell you the 232 will feel quite a bit bigger than the 258. I would also consider the 265

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Good luck I think you will be happy with either. Will tell you the 232 will feel quite a bit bigger than the 258. I would also consider the 265
I think the 258 would be my perfect boat. But I don't see a lot of them come up in Canada.
Hadn't thought of the 265. I will look into it a bit. Thx!

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I tow my 232 with a 2019 Silverado1500. 5.3, Max tow pkg...I find it tows just fine. The biggest downside, hard top causes wind resistance vs a boat without the hardtop. I loose about 1-2 MPG to wind drag by comparison.

Reactions: Bird Blaster

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I tow my 2004 Gulfstream 232 with a 2002 Ford Excursion diesel. Works well, I take it easy on the steeper hills. The boat is a 9'-3" and is wider than ones I've owned before. I am getting used to it, some of the narrow lanes in Los Angeles freeways are interesting sometimes. I've had the boat for a little more than a year.

grady23

Reaction score
I used to tow my 1997 232 Gulfstream with twin 150s with a Suburban 5.3 small block. Did well on level ground or short hills of less than 5% grade. Anything long the engine was SCREAMING after about 1/2 mile or so. Run an engine that hard for many times its not gonna live long. I replaced it with a 2012 Chevy 2500 HD with 6 sp Allison and the 6.6 Duramax. Best move for towing EVER. I also pull a 34Ft 5th wheel. I can do long hills, pull into traffic or stop far better then anything I've had.

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
does your boat have twins?