265 Capsized of Jersey Coast

Gullchaser

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Does anybody have any information on the Grady 265 that capsized this week off of Belmar NJ? I hope everyone is okay.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's hard to tell via the pictures/video if this boat is a Grady White but it does look like it could possibly be the story you're talking about...

billyttpd

Reaction score
It was a 27' Grady..sbaw the link in the news, everyone was rescued by a nearby party boat

Gullchaser

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Mustang, thats the same one. Somewhere on my feed I saw the boat was recovered the next day close to Barnegat Light. It showed a picture and it was clearly a 265. We just wondering if anyone had any details as to what happened, ie cockpit drain hoses failed etc. I'm glad everyone is okay.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
So what is the buoyancy of the boat waterlogged? It obviously flipped and the seas were not that high so something else must have contributed to the capsizing. Or then the boat does not sink but does not offer "comfort " when upside down, noting to hold onto as only the bow was visible.
We don't know how long it took and what caused it all. So just waiting for more info as it and if it becomes available.

Good all ended well anyway.
H

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We have a 228. When I got the boat I talked to someone and was told they keep the cokpit plugs - plugged when they fish in the ocean.

I did the same when I went out and left them plugged up permanently. - Have not seen a discussion about the cockpit plug area on this board.

Sturg.

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The other item is that whenever anyone is on the 228 they have to wear a life vest.

I rarely ever see others doing the same.

Years ago a coastguard boat came next to me asking I had a problem - I just said I always wear one.

Better safe that sorry.

Sturg.

Reactions: Walleyze

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm wondering if they forgot to put the drain plug in, motored out to wherever they were going fishing at, then shortly after they started fishing the water came flooding in and they couldn't react quickly enough.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm wondering if they forgot to put the drain plug in, motored out to wherever they were going fishing at, then shortly after they started fishing the water came flooding in and they couldn't react quickly enough.
More useless speculation. How many Angeles are on this pin head?

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mustang, thats the same one. Somewhere on my feed I saw the boat was recovered the next day close to Barnegat Light. It showed a picture and it was clearly a 265. We just wondering if anyone had any details as to what happened, ie cockpit drain hoses failed etc. I'm glad everyone is okay.
Check out the post here: https://www.facebook.com/TowBoatUSBarnegatLight/

I don't see anything in the pics to hint at what happened but maybe others can spot something. FWIW the TowBoat page commented "guessing water over the transom and bilges weren’t working"

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
We have a 228. When I got the boat I talked to someone and was told they keep the cokpit plugs - plugged when they fish in the ocean.

I did the same when I went out and left them plugged up permanently. - Have not seen a discussion about the cockpit plug area on this board.

Sturg.
do you have a link to the plugs?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've seen where guys will get wooden ones and put those in when they're using the boat so that they can't get water to come back inside of the boat. The issue with that is though if you take a ton of water over the bow or sides of the boat and then the water can't be drained out. I think the better options would be new rubber scupper flappers, the ping pong style, or do what luckydude did on his boat where you've got a check valve or something similar to where the water can only go out of the boat, not come back in.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Great video. Captain of rescue vessel was eye witness "I looked, their boat, Jesus' boat, literally started sinking at the stern, and literally two seconds later, it just flipped right over, and all these guys went right in the water."

After they were rescued the Captain gave them fishing rods and fished the rest of the day. And they caught fish!

Not clear what type boat it was or why it was taking water on. Could not find any information on salvage.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
definitely a 265. Don't recognize the boat or the guys onboard.

Its not a trailer boat..he didn't forget the plug.

lots of things could flood a boat.
The original scupper hoses were scary on mine.
There are four 6" popout pie holes in the motorwell.
The livewell thruhull & pump can leak..or snap off and really leak
The washdown thru hull & pump hoses can leak.
The head intake and outlet hoses and thruhulls

add to that one or both bilge pumps not working....

I don't like that it turtled so fast. 265 has foam outside of the stringers and a really heavy hardtop.

I had one incident with water on deck. My brother was backing into a flat faced chop to try and stay over a wreck. I said "thats stupid, your gonna take one thru the tailgate if you don't stop, lets quit "

shortly I was standing in 6" of seawater. luckily it all ran out as we goosed it forward.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A reminder that it is a good idea to have a high water alarm in the bilge, and at least a light, if not also an audible, to let you know every time your bilge pump cycles. If you have other things running, like the live well, the stereo, etc., you might not notice that your bilge is pumping every few minutes.
That's on my short list, I have been putting off a couple of things that require removing the live well.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
High water in the bilge is one of my big concerns with my Grady. It could get ahead of me before I realize I have a problem. High water alarm is on my Summer project list. I have LED lights next to my bilge switches but its not enough.