265 Capsized of Jersey Coast

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
There is alot we know and alot we don't know.

Hookup said it right:

"The real lesson here is you need early warning that your hull is filling up with water before it reaches the tipping point."

So, one thing is for certain, we should all have High Water Alarms in our bilges. That's my advice.

Maybe this one. Choose an alarm like you chose an alarm clock. The loudest most obnoxious ring you can find.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That right there is the reason I sold my aluminum North River last year and bought the 265. After 7 years of running for them in the North River, last year we got the crap beat out of us on a run out. Wasn't that it was unsafe conditions, just sloppy. I said enough is enough.
I had something similar where I had a 21' Arima and it was a decent boat when it was calm and flat, but good lord it was such a rough/wet ride when you'd have the tide change and you'd have 1'-2' chop. Not fun at all, and then I got my Grady and goodness it was a complete game changer.

Reactions: Saltyone

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I had something similar where I had a 21' Arima and it was a decent boat when it was calm and flat, but good lord it was such a rough/wet ride when you'd have the tide change and you'd have 1'-2' chop. Not fun at all, and then I got my Grady and goodness it was a complete game changer.
Put the proper 12x18 inch trim tabs on it and watch the ride get even better. I have a friend, he has a 271 Canyon, he came on my boat and just looked at me like "what's wrong with your boat?" He looked at the tabs at the harbor and said "those are two small". Sure enough, I go to the Bennett web site and the 9x12 tabs were way too small. Why Grady puts too small tabs on I have no idea. But my boat wanted 24x9 but I didn't have enough space so I did 18x12 (same surface area as the 24x9).

What a difference. Before these bigger tabs, I was on the throttle *every* swell, ease off so it doesn't launch then rev up again. After these bigger tabs were installed, I rarely touch the throttle. My buddy got on my boat, we hit some chop, I pushed the tabs down and he say "Now this boat rides like it should".

If you have a 228, upgrade to 18x12 tabs and thank me later :cool:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Put the proper 12x18 inch trim tabs on it and watch the ride get even better. I have a friend, he has a 271 Canyon, he came on my boat and just looked at me like "what's wrong with your boat?" He looked at the tabs at the harbor and said "those are two small". Sure enough, I go to the Bennett web site and the 9x12 tabs were way too small. Why Grady puts too small tabs on I have no idea. But my boat wanted 24x9 but I didn't have enough space so I did 18x12 (same surface area as the 24x9).

What a difference. Before these bigger tabs, I was on the throttle *every* swell, ease off so it doesn't launch then rev up again. After these bigger tabs were installed, I rarely touch the throttle. My buddy got on my boat, we hit some chop, I pushed the tabs down and he say "Now this boat rides like it should".

If you have a 228, upgrade to 18x12 tabs and thank me later :cool:
I think that the largest trim tabs in the world couldn't make an Arima that much more comfortable of a ride in terms or comfort along with staying dry. If you've been on an Arima in the 1'-2' chop, you know what I'm talking about, and it's something that a lot of people dread. My 228 Seafarer is just fine as is, though if I did do some open ocean fishing then perhaps I might look into some larger trim tabs but as it is, it works great.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Message to: TowBoatUS Barnegat Light & Beach Haven

Frank K
Do we know what caused the boat to take on water? Would be useful safety info for fellow Grady White Owners.
I would think the first thing you guys check is the drain plug! Must have been something else.

TowBoatUS Barnegat Light & Beach Haven
Frank K nothing has been found as of yet.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not news anymore - its history. Nobody cares...
Well, I'd say that you apparently cared enough about the incident so much in fact that you copied someone else's response to the incident from Tow Boat US and then pasted it on here. Alrighty then, back to the ignore list we go :p

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, I'd say that you apparently cared enough about the incident so much in fact that you copied someone else's response to the incident from Tow Boat US and then pasted it on here. Alrighty then, back to the ignore list we go :p
Obviously you don’t know what you are talking about. I posted the Frank K question on TowBoatUS Barnegate.

I was notified that TowBoatUS Barnegate responded and I posted their response.

In my opinion it is unlikely you will get any more investigative information about the incident.

If you have an “ignore” list please put me on it.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Once again, you obviously cared enough about the incident to take the time to post the question on their Facebook page as well as post their answer from Facebook onto GG forum here. And you've been added back to the ignore list once again. Good day...

Last edited:

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Since tow boat didn't find any damage or a missing drain plug, we just ruled out those as causes. My guess is still a hose and/or through hull as it would not be obvious without digging around.

Reactions: Hookup1

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don’t think there is any financial incentive for towboat to be digging around to determine the cause of sinking. We all know how hard it is to check the hoses and through hulls on a Grady White. The insurance company, and their surveyor will probably get to that.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agree with GB and with regards to drbatts comment I'd say it depends... if the owners forgot to install the plug and it was a total loss then that seems like it could be their own negligence with regards to the insurance company covering the claim. I'd say it's more than just a slight possibility that the owners asked the company not to provide any details on social media or elsewhere as to the cause of the incident. Their comment of "nothing has been found of yet" is more that just a bit vague and doesn't really answer anything...

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Agree with GB and with regards to drbatts comment I'd say it depends... if the owners forgot to install the plug and it was a total loss then that seems like it could be their own negligence with regards to the insurance company covering the claim. I'd say it's more than just a slight possibility that the owners asked the company not to provide any details on social media or elsewhere as to the cause of the incident. Their comment of "nothing has been found of yet" is more that just a bit vague and doesn't really answer anything...
BOT ALERT!

kevgle

Reaction score
I blame it on one of the hundreds of windmills being installed off the Jersey coast