265 Express bow diving

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I've been looking at the 265 Express for quite some time now as it looks to fit my requirements better than anything else and have really appreciated all the discussion on this board thus far. I have a question though that I haven't seen raised before and am looking for some input from 265 owners, past or present.

At a boat show this past weekend I had a GW dealer tell me that the 265 (all years except 05) had a design issue with the bow in that it was cut so sharply that in wave heights of about 2 feet or greater the bow would catch and yank the boat hard off axis. He said GW had been forced to recall a bunch of boats and destroy them before finally redesigning the bow for the 2005 model year. Given the normal conditions in the Cheasapeake and open Atlantic this causes me some concern.

Any truth to this story? Can it be corrected underway with judicious application of trim or shifting of weight fore or aft? Or was he just trying to steer me to the 305 Robalo on their floor that they couldn't move? Thanks.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wow. I've been on this forum for years, and while I'm no expert on the 265, I have never heard of this before. But, there are several 265 owners here, and I am sure they can help answer your question.

Dean265

Reaction score
I've never once experienced that! Mine is a 2004 and has been 70 miles offshore in the pacific. Handles chop and swells with ease.

tranquilo

Reaction score
Are you speaking of a head sea or a following sea? I run a 2004 as well. Have had it in the ocean, the bays and all of the rips around the east end of Long Island. The boat likes a head sea better than a following sea but once you get used to the boat in a following sea it is not an issue at all. You can stuff the bow in a head sea on any boat in the right conditions. I trust this boat and learn how to handle her a little better every year.

Oriole

Reaction score
can't believe that..

to completely satisy yourself, call or e mail Grady directly. Their contact info is on their web site. I believe the bow was very slightly modified in 2002, not because there was anything wrong with it but based on ride preference. Never heard anything close to what you are saying though. Tell us what Grady says. Pretty sure you will hear that there were no issues with that model.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
sounds pretty tall to me, but what do i know?

didn't the 305 come out in late 2006? why would they "redesign" a boat for 2005 that was already in the process of being replaced? like i said, what do i know.

interested to hear what gw says.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
This may be a sales tactic here-
My 2000 is great in many seas and in my opinion, handles pretty darn good for a 26' boat - better than any other I have been on bar the slow moving loberstyle-
Were are located? I bet you could set up a ride on one with someone from the site!
Tim

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
When they stopped making them I was told by my dealer it was becaus they had so many order for larger boats -
My how times have changed!
Tim

mronzo

Reaction score
Sounds like BS to me! I've never heard or read of a recall where GW destroys boats! Sounds like they wanted to sell you the 30'!
This will be my 6th season with my '00 265. You can stuff the bow on any boat if you work at it. As others have stated the 265 is about the best 26'
cabin boat out there! Who and where is this Grady dealer you're talking about? If you have your trim tabs down in a following sea you WILL stuff the bow in case you didn't know.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Any truth to this story? Can it be corrected underway with judicious application of trim or shifting of weight fore or aft? Or was he just trying to steer me to the 305 Robalo on their floor that they couldn't move?

How do tell if a boat salesman is lying? His lips are moving.

I searched for a GW 265 recall and found nothing bad. Call GW customer service. If it doesn't check out send a letter to GW Dealer Sales with the name of the Dealer and salesman.

Oriole

Reaction score
Unfortunately this "ploy" is not uncommon. I went through the same thing w a Chesapeake Bay dealer/salesman before purchasing my Grady. (wonder if the same dealer?) He didn't have the model I wanted to sell me so bashed it with claims that were scary. So, I called grady and they told me there was absolutely no truth to what I had heard from the salesman. Pretty weak but obviously it happens

Oriole

Reaction score
re read your post...... the dealer who bs'ed me also sold Robalo...hmmmmmm. send me a pm if you wish to compare notes...

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This certainly sounds like salesman "fear factor" trying to deter you from the boat you have decided is right for you ( but he didn't have one to sell you).
Obviously you would take a prospective purchase for a sea trial prior to purchase and if handling in rougher conditions is a concern then make sure that you seatrial in said conditions. When doing that make sure you do a very large circle ( at least a mile around, to get a feel for the boat on all points of the compass)
There are a few threads on this forum about how to handle the 265 and it all comes down to experience .With boats of this size,weight and potential speed it is possible to get it wrong.....trim etc . and the handling will be compromised. I believe it has taken me 12 months to understand how to get the most out of this hull in rougher conditions.
However a previous Deep Vee I had with an inboard and 26 deg deadrise took just as long to learn how to get the most out of , in all conditions. Most boats are very easy to drive inshore in sheltered conditions, It's when "the sh/.,#^% hits the fan" that you need all of your experience to get the most out of any hull.
I understand Grady moderated the deadrise in models 2003 and after, because some buyers couldn't handle the lean. Possibly this is partly because in trying to appeal to as many buyers as possible Grady originally developed a fishing boat with a performance hull that appealed to weekend cruisers (fair weather sailors) and for some that was more than they required or could manage.
Whilst I haven't driven the later models, they may be easier to drive. I am sure Gradyfish will chime in shortly, and he has been on both.
Having said all that ,the salesman was taking a feature of the early hulls and trying to use that against the boat, you liked, because he most likely didn't have one to sell you!

mronzo

Reaction score
Jeckyl has it right! It will take a season or so to get to know the boat! It's
capabilities aren't apparent until you pilot it for a while!
All I know is that other 265 Captains have driven through stuff I'd be home watching TV in given a choice...

cscott

Reaction score
No way. I captained mine around Vancouver Island last year with only about 100 hours under my belt with my 265. I was in every different kind of sea and had nothing of the sort. cscott

tilewave

Reaction score
yes these boats will " grab " and veer off when the bow is down. and as stated before it can be scary. i have a 2001, it took me 2 seasons to get the handling down i cannot speak for 265's produced after the hull modification but you need to learn how to drive these boats.
- start off with trim tabs all the way up, & motors level.
- get boat on plane
- lift motors to maximum efficiency, speed ( sweet spot ! )
- use trim tabs only ! to level the ride.

my previous boat was an aquasport & i relied on the trim tabs to keep the boat down so i can plow through the slop. this boat wants to plow through with the bow up.

tilewave

Reaction score
by the way, i havent had my boat "dig in & veer" off since i learned how to work this hull.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
It is worth mentioning that it takes a little behind the wheel-
Some boats use the trim tabs to lift the back of the boat out of the water - or to help plan faster-
Not the 265- also the trim tabs are large and only require a slight tap on the trim button to level her out -

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys. I figured it was a dealer story and am hoping that it was just a misunderstanding, perhaps he was referring to the hull changes and referencing an issue with inappropriate use of the trim tabs as some of you mentioned. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but I will take the suggestions and contact GW just to be sure.

I'm down at the Patuxent River Naval Air Station in southern Maryland and if anyone knows of a 265 within a couple hours of here that would be open to showing it off some weekend I'd really appreciate the time. Nearest one I can find for sale is in Virginia Beach and until I'm back down there for work it'll have to wait.