265 Express Bow Rail

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I was buffing the boat and really want to remove some rail & outrigger bases to get easy access with the 7" Dewalt.
Rail mount screws spin & appear to be thru bolted vs wood screws. Tried to find access... outrigger bases easy behind the removed padding but can't get to or even see the rail mount areas.

This whole thing has me wanting to remove 2 sections of rail along the catwalk on each side. They are stupid. Would rather walk toe-in to get to bow.

265 rails.jpg

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Try using an extension or 2 on the buffer along with smaller backing plate and pads to get around the outrigger bases and rail.

southernstyle995

Reaction score
I have contemplated taking my rail off all together, only purpose it really serves me is holding onto it at the dock. I havnt done it yet tho. Did u remove first two sections?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Not a fan of removing any railing. Some is installed prior to the hull being fit with the liner. Going to be a bit difficult and I think you'll regret it once you get into it for buffing.... Just my 2 pennies.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Another option... A nice, fluffy wool bonnet will help since you can squeeze it under the stanchions, better. Worst case, do the part under the aft most stanchion (actually, just the actual rail) by hand. But, yes, they are thru-bolted for strength.

Side point... now that you messed with the screws, you may have compromised the sealant.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Also, if you need to replace sections it is doable as the rail is actually small sections held together with allen screws (look at bottom side of stantions).

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Also, if you need to replace sections it is doable as the rail is actually small sections held together with allen screws (look at bottom side of stantions).
Grady doesn't use a one piece top rail? I'm surprised by that. Are you sure the "one piece" doesn't just slide through the fitting and the allen screws are there to secure it place?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I was told that there are pieces by my dealer when I bought. Makes it easier to assemble and ship replacements if needed. I've never taken one apart though.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The only ones I've ever had apart are on Sea Rays - they use, what looks like, similar fittings - but those are one piece top rails. Never had a Grady's rail apart, either.

southernstyle995

Reaction score
Well I removed the whole rail and I couldn't be happier. I like the way it looks. I ended up drilling the bolt heads and popping rail off. Going to fil holes and then gelcoat over them. Resizer_16524720557740.jpg

• Love
Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
HAHAHa, We were working on reinstalling the hardtop and were bitching again about how we have to remove the stupid useless railings along the catwalk. I said the bases are thru bolted and we can't get to them and my brother said "drill the f'ing things out and saw off the rail at the second post"

Reactions: southernstyle995