265 Express Info

mronzo

Reaction score
It's not unreasonable for him to not want to give you a ride NOW!
Wait until spring and continue to shop around until then.
You might even be able to get it for less as well!

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I bought my boat in January.

I was a serious buyer - paying cash - put 10% down and we agreed that he would pay to put to the boat in the water - I would pay the surveyor to drive the boat - if the boat did not operate as owner indicated (run perfect, ect) he would pay to pull it out and refund money (or pay to fix problem) - If I just "Didnt like the way it rode" I was responsable to pay for boat removale and re-winterization - it worked out fine - a few bad batteries were indentified and replaced by previous owner.

Let me be honest - you are not going to be able to get this boat to handle well during sea trial - it takes some practice - big sensitive trim tabs are to blame here - even during my survey the proffesional that I paid $700 to told me that the boat handled funny - due to a ton of research on the net and further discussions on the trim tabs with existing owners - I now was not worried -

Good luck

Tim

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd buy a rowboat or canoe without a ride but drop $60K on someone's word?

" was a serious buyer - paying cash - put 10% down and we agreed that he would pay to put to the boat in the water - I would pay the surveyor to drive the boat - if the boat did not operate as owner indicated (run perfect, ect) he would pay to pull it out and refund money (or pay to fix problem) - If I just "Didnt like the way it rode" I was responsable to pay for boat removale and re-winterization - it worked out fine - a few bad batteries were indentified and replaced by previous owner."

That's the best way to do it but if the seller is causing roadblocks, find another boat. If the price is REALLY good, wait'em out but I'd look elsewhere.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
He won't let you run it because it is winterized? I could see him saying you have to pay launch fee and for gas, that is not abnormal, typically you need to put a deposit or some sort down to sea trial a boat, but if you buy it goes towards the purchase of the boat, that is typical practice from brokers, and good personal sellers will do this as well. As for not letting you and saying plenty buy without one...he is an IDIOT!!! You cannot buy a boat for that much money without one...and anyone who would is dumb. I agree 100% you HAVE to sea trial it. What some like, you may not, and when a good amount of money is involved you have every right to test a boat. Ask him if he's ever bought a car without driving it first....what makes a boat different...in fact boats vary muhc more greatly in ride then a car, even more reason to insists on sea trialing it. If he won't let you sea trial it I wouldn't deal with him.

glastron21

Reaction score
2001 265 express with 200 hpdi's. I have seen some comments about the handling of this boat and thought I would be able to add a little. I 100% agree about the handling. I had some very experienced people try to tame her and they all felt that there had to be something wrong with the boat. Underway she would list to 1 side to the point where you would pull back on the throttle. Just plain scary. At 1st I thought I had a tab stuck down that was causing it. It turns out that the boat is extremely tab sensitive. Trim the engines out 1st then level the boat with the tabs. Seems simple but just a little to much tab will put this boat on a very uncomfortable list while underway. Then you over correct the list the other way. I must say that since I've learned how to run this boat I absolutely love it. I have incredible confidence in this boat. The only problem is showing your crew how to handle her so you can get a little rest on the way in from offshore. The boat is awesome and the 200 hpdi's are plenty of power. Best of luck.

Plum Crazy

Reaction score
I called the gentlemen this morning to tell him I will pay 50K for the boat after a sea trail. I will pay for the boat to be winterize, ramp fee, and fuel. He wants 2k up front with no refund if I don`t buy the boat. I told him to keep the boat!!!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
All he had to do was show up? You were going to pay for the launch/haul, gas and re-winterize and his boat would have most likely been sold.

There's probably something wrong with the boat (motors). Best guess is the gas filters are clogged and the motors will not get up to RPM's.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Plum Crazy said:
I called the gentlemen this morning to tell him I will pay 50K for the boat after a sea trail. I will pay for the boat to be winterize, ramp fee, and fuel. He wants 2k up front with no refund if I don`t buy the boat. I told him to keep the boat!!!

that's a little harsh. i don't see what his downside would be. doesn't make sense unless it is going to cost him to do the sea trial (vacation day from work, travel ?)

your price offer seems very good!

gilpri

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Tell him to stuff it - it's a buyers market
Check your PM

Cove Runner

Reaction score
I also have a 2001 with 200 HPDIs. I agree with all the earlier posts. She is a great boat. The cabin with fully enclosed head is very family friendly. The rest of the boat is built to fish. The HPDIs have plenty of power.

Glastron's comments on the ride are accurate based on my experience with the boat. She can suddenly lean hard over - especially in a cross wind. Like he said, you correct with the tab and then she leans way over the other side. It is like she is balanced on a knife edge with that very deep vee hull and it does not take much to knock her off to one side.

Thanks to some advice from Fishing FinATTIC, I learned to get on plane and then trim the engines up quite a bit. This helps with the lateral stability. Then use the tabs carefully and slowly. Once you get used to her, you will love her.

Good luck

Ken

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just a little something to add to the previous handling posts is that once you trim the motors up you now have , effectively less boat in contact with the water. Hence she will become more tender and more prone to falling over in cross breezes, swells etc.
This tenderness can be moderated by bringing the nose down, slightly so there is now more hull in contact with the water and thus a little more stability.
As others have noted it's very much a "feel" thing, the adjustments need to be made gradually and in small increments; and of course all settings on tabs and motors will vary according to the prevailing conditions.
Being a sceptic about electronic readouts, and having faulty trim bar readings on my gauges. I applied two pieces of black contact onto the cowlings on my motors at positions relative to the transom so that when I look back at the motors I can be sure they are both trimmed identically. It's a very basic mod but if the motors aren't trimmed identically then it can get very complicated with revs also being effected.
The early 265 are 22 deg. deadrise at the transom(i believe). One of my previous boats had a 26 deg deadrise which was a fairly steep learning curve on the use of tabs etc.
What adds to the 265 's tenderness at cruise is the relatively high windage ie. big shoulders carried way back, (great for dryness) and the cabin sides as well as full clears, all great for comfort but they all add to the area that the wind can lean on.
She is a performance boat and will reward sensitive adjustments to loading,throttles, tabs, and trim.

[/b]

mronzo

Reaction score
Jeckyl I think you said it all about this boat! When you're trimmed
in that sweet spot she moves! The 265 loves a head sea! I've run well in
following seas but it helps if your wiper works! The boat will take more
than I'd care to Captain it through! The tabs are very sensitive if they are working right. I learned to just tap them to find the spot while giving it
gas getting on plane. It's wild but when you get that spot and give it MORE gas! Flying over tight 3'-4' waves at 30 mph in a 26' Cabin boat
is pretty cool! WOT in flat seas I do 40 mph. The 265 owners with t-250s are doing 50mph!

My 265 is all alone and cold.

eppem

Reaction score
265 Express

We run a 2003 with the F225s, could not be any happier! Agree with all posts, great for island hopping in the long island sound with the family or offshore with the boys.

A well documented (and reviewed on this site), is the "issue" with the trim...the issue is overtrimming, a mistake. Drop the engines..(with the tabs fully retracted) and hit the gas. When the boat is on plane, lift the engines a tad to max your efficiency..(hit the sweet spot, you will feel it and you gph will drop) and then tab only so slightly, even if needed.

As for the seatrial, if the owner wont refund a depost then look elsewhere, that is absurd..(is it being sold privatly).

If you can hurdle that issue, buy a few week then go for the trial, if the boat in in the cheasapeke bay,it really wont need to be rewinterized, just make sure you run the engines at least once a week unti you start using the boat more often?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
$2000 and no refund...he's nuts!!!! Actually delerious...did he say the down payment would atleast go towards the final price or is he trying to swindle an extra 2k. He is either an idiot or trying to hide something wrong with that boat...not sure which, but I'd try and find another one if possible, especially if your offering to pay all fees for the sea trial to take place, your being more then fair. He should be confident in his boat he is selling. I know some brokers do keep sea trial fees, but they are about $100-200, we had a broker like this, but that is more reasonable, I was not thrilled with it but it was how he conducted his office, not my rules. Good luck with the search, hopefully you find another one from a better seller...I wouldn't want his boat regardless now...makes me wonder how he kept it if he's this rediculous with the sale.

mronzo

Reaction score
Sounds like he really doesn't want to sell his 265!

Can you blame him? 8)

scottc6543

Reaction score
Could someone tell me what the towing weight of a 265 might be, with 4-strokes or with the HPDIs? Also, what kind of fuel burn numbers would each get? I've been looking for a family-friendly, trailerable boat with the range to get to the Otherside on occasion and the 265 has caught my eye...

Thanks in advance for the info guys.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't disagree with the seller too much, after all he is a private seller and the boat is in storage.

When I sold my last Grady, I made it clear over the phone to all callers I'm selling it to a private buyer who wants a Grady, has already made up his mind, and the Grady model I'm selling, not any other.

So there is no discussion or time wasted by me on "how does it ride". Is is dry? Does it pound? None of that.

I advised callers to shop first at a Grady dealer or other brands, and can go out on all the boats they want. That's part of dealer overhead and sales costs. I already have a full time job, just don't have time to be a salesman too.

I got the impression the buyers expected me to act like a salesman, but I'm not. I said I will answer any questions, set up a ladder to board the boat, and stood back and said nothing. Acted stupid just like a boat owner could be, and spoke when spoken to.

My policy was to allow a professional survey and motor evaluation by a certified mechanic, in my driveway. The boat is being sold where is, as is.
If the boat was in a slip in the marina, a different story.

I had a guy call me later and offer me full asking price, even after I agreed to a sales price a little off asking to another guy. I don't play that game, so the first guy got it. I demanded 10% deposit non refundable, he wanted to give me 100 bucks, I said no way.

The reason I do this is to avoid buyers to keep shopping and just throw a few bucks to hold it while they keep looking for something better. I also demand final payment in two - three working days. I fthey want me to hold the boat until the weekend, fine.

The guy offered me $2K below Asking, I said why so low?
He was dumfounded.
I dropped the price 200 bucks as a courtesy, didn't want to embarrass him in front of the Admiral.

But then again the boat was priced right and worth it. So it depends what you are after.
My same boat at a broker would have been plenty $$ more.

That's why anyone would buy on their own, to save cost. Isn't it?

The other thing, I would never discuss nor take a price offer over the phone, only to say it was negotiable (or not).
Callers tried to.
If you offered me a price like you did if over the phone I presume, I would have been insulted.

You have a long way to go before sea trial, that's why I would have pushed you off too.

Once again the asking price was right, my plan doesn't work if you want to start too high and have plenty of time to drop it later if no bites. That's how brokers generally work or people feeling out a market for uninformed buyers (suckers).

I wanted a sale as soon as I posted it, no lingering around for months.
I told buyers the oppposite!

And I priced the boat or whatever I'm selling as I would pay for it, the asking price. Any discount is gravy.

I sold my boats in the driveway, no sea trail, didn't even have to start the motor.
I sold my twin 200 Johnnies off the transom in my driveway, seller asked for no tests or startup. Would have started them with 10% cash in hand, or offer him a compression test w/o a deposit, that's it.

If there are plenty of 265s around fine, but I don't think there is, relative to Sailfish, etc.

The only difference these economic times we are in means, to me, is what the sales price will be in a sellers market, that's it. It's still a Grady, and from what I'm reading on this thread, the 265 wasn't so unpopular as Grady claimed back when - to end it's production. Some are calling it a cult model.

I would work even with difficult sellers, depending on what the condition is, bristol? And the price associated with such a condition, vs. the others. Who knows, he may have a diamond in the rough, and knows it. And you are not buying the seller, you are buying the boat.

Good luck.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 265 and Alloy bunk trailer weighs 8,000 lbs light hooked up to the tow vehicle. Then you add in the fuel, water, gear etc. I believe 4 strokes will only add 100lbs at most. (no oil bottles)

Best fuel consumption i have seen with 2x 200hpdi's is 1.9 mpg. This was in ideal conditions and med- light load.