265 Express Prop Question

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Looking for feedback from 265 drivers running 4-blade props.

Fished on a buddy's 228 recently and he unfortunately spun the prop on our way offshore in the morning, it was a pressed hub and not something we could fix. Got back in fine and the good news is that the local prop shop loaned him a 4-blade (slightly undersized for his boat but all they had in a left hand wheel) while they worked on his and I got to experience the difference in lift on a heavily loaded boat. Got me wondering about moving to 4-blades on my 265. Boat is powered with F250s running the factory Yamaha props, believe they're the SWS-II and size is a 15-1/4 x 19.

Have been happy with the setup to date, cruise at 3800 seeing 25-27mph at 1.7-1.8mpg on an average day. WOT is just shy of 50mph turning right at 6K rpm. I know the hole shot will be better and I'll lose a little top end but what really intrigues me is the idea of being able to stay on plane at slower speeds. In certain conditions today I find myself oscillating between plowing along or running at what feels like breakneck speed once I throttle up enough to get the boat on top and up on plane. Curious if 4-blade props would find a sweeter spot in between.

Thanks.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
We tried several 3 blade props and the 4 blades just performed much better.
I have 4 cylinder 200s and they are zukes so geared very differently than F250s. I'm using 15 1/4 x 22 4 blade zuke props. I imagine that would be too much prop for you given the size 3 blade props you are running. I really like the bite and lift of the 4 blades. Slow planing is much improved over the 225 ox66s with 19Ms , especially in flat seas or wind chop. It can run 20 on plane with no swells...but why go 20 then?
But the boat still does not like to go slow in certain momentum killing swells. Under 25mph you have to work throttles, over 25 it wants to go 28...29... 30.....so we go 28 and ride the momentum.
Honestly, it rides great at 28 in quartering 3 to 5 swells and we all agree we would rather deal with an occasional thump than go slow/speedup/get slowed down...

I have a 2000. The later hulls were flattened so maybe better at slower speed.

And I never use tabs.

Reactions: Fowl Hooked