265 Express w/ 200hpdi's

Reaction score
I have located a great deal or I think a great deal on a 2000 265 express :lol: . It has 200hpdi's also 2000 w/ +- 450 hours. waiting for the YDS report for actual stats. Anything wrong with this power set up on this model? I will have a survey for mechanical and hull if we move foward. Thanks in adavnce for any input.

Marc

glastron21

Reaction score
Not at all. I have an 01' with 200hpdi's. I may be just a little partial but I think you'll love it. Good luck!!

mronzo

Reaction score
I have a 2000 265 with t-200 OX-66SWSII. It's a great boat!
Once you get the feel for working the tabs and engine trim you can make this boat perform. From what I've read and spoken to the 200 HDPIs
are great engines with fuel efficiancy nearing that of 4 strokes.
What is the asking price? If it had been maintained well it will provide you with years of fishing fun! Good luck!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
200HPDI's is actually the best engines for that boat. I have a 2002 with F225's, but have ridden boats with 200HPDI's. The HPDI's cruise faster and are slightly better on fuel at alll speeds except on the troll. Performance wise they are not a ton different, but the HPDI will give you more range. As far as operating costs, they will be the same. the F225's will burn a little more, but the HPDI's burn oil, so at the end of the season you will spend the same, tune ups and maintenance are about the same as well. The Four strokes are a little quieter, but any 265 with 4strokes will be 10000 more. I have a 22 seafarer with a 2000 200hpdi and have not had a problem with it, it has roughly 450 hours on it and it packs a ton of power and is fuel efficient. It is very easy to maintain, the 200hp HPDI was one of the best engines ever made, the 250 and 300's were not great engines though. I have buddies with a lot of hours on their HPDI's, around 1500 and they havent had to do much except the basic maintenance. If you can swing the bill 4strokes are nice and are newer technology, but the HPDI's on this hull really are hard to beat for efficiency and reliability. I would have been more then happy with a 265 with HPDI's and running the engines into the ground and then going to 4strokes after. Sea Trial the boat if you can, but I am sure you will love it, most 265 owner's do. Just a tip, the 265 will be tender from movement due to its wide beam and big helm area, trim the engines out first to get the boat running right and only use tab when needed to correct a list, too many guys will use tabs before getting the engines trimmed right and she will be very tender then and you will end up using a lot of tab to fix it only killing your economy by adding drag. If trimmed the right way you won;t have any problems and she will eat a 2-3 ft chop at 30kts and laugh at it. I've taken mine out 90nm in 5-6's to tuna fish and my crew and I never looked back, we felt totally comfortable on the boat.(also knew it was calm at the canyon and the weather was just pushing through via sat phone from a buddy and the bite was on, and we had 2 boats running with us which were bigger....funny thing was they ran behind me since we put down waves better and could run faster then they could and still be comfortable :D )

Reaction score
What is the asking price? [/quote]

The asking price was $49,999 and I offered the dealer/bank a low ball offer (close to 30% less) that they want to exept. I find out today for sure. I live in Colorado (for now). Spent a lot of time off the East Coast of Florida fishing before I moved four years ago and I can not wait to get back. So does all of the gear that has been dry stored in the garage. After four years there is no bad leaders, rusty hooks, all the trolling skirts are sprayed, drag washers replaced I can go on and on. The boat, if I purchase will be kept in a boat house on the intercoastal just south of Jacksonville. I guess there will be trips home.....before I relocate back south.

Thank you for the information above. I have always admired the express and the good news is the wife and kids like it to, so it made the choice even easier.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal to me if the boat checks out. Anything under 50k for HPDI's is a steal, even in this market, it would be very hard to find a better laid out boat with more usage fishing space for that price. For offshore fishing it is awesome, easy to swing fish around the engines, backs down with no water in the cockpit and has plenty or room to fish 4 guys comfortably, and no wasted space from a euro transom if your primary use is fishing. The ride is one of the best for a 25-26ft boat and is very hard to beat.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
While I am disapointed to hear that the market is in upper 30's for this boat - I can honestly tell you that it is just an awesome boat -
Twin 200 HPDI's are perfect - I run my 265 with HPDI's in all different scenarios and this motors are just amazing!
Jump on that deal and dont look back!
Tim

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
While I am disapointed to hear that the market is in upper 30's for this boat - I can honestly tell you that it is just an awesome boat -
Twin 200 HPDI's are perfect - I run my 265 with HPDI's in all different scenarios and this motors are just amazing!
Jump on that deal and dont look back!
Tim

i don't think the market is in the upper 30's. i think ss is trying to get a great deal and i wish him luck. if you are not selling, doesn't really matter. if you are, you can expect a comparable (if not better) discount on the new one.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The boat evebn with this market is worth a ton more then 30k, it is still in the 50's, he just might get really luck. If it is a bank owned boat and they are just looking to pay off the remainder of a loan it might be possible he will get a great deal after all. If it was a private seler I'd wonder, either they are in dier need of cash and are hurting bad or something is wrong and they know it. Anything below 50k with that power means it has a ton of hours and usage and is near needing repowering, the boat has damage somewhere, or someone has no clue what they are selling.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ask owner for last 3 yrs service records on motors, make sure usual maintenance was done, VST filters, water pump, gear lube, etc.
Have certified Yamaha mechanic check out motors.

Figure 45 mph on those twins!

Reaction score
I am still waiting for the mechanic to issue a statement on the motors. I am located about 1000 miles fromthe boat so a lot has been done over th ephone. If the first report comes back posititve my next step will be to fly out and inspect the vessel myself and with a survier. The boat is a bank owned vessel so getting accurate records other then from Yam may be difficult.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Repossession?

Was it marina kept and maintained, if so and you know the marina, get the records from the marina if you can.

If no records and you get the boat, get the motors fully serviced, and dump out all the oil tanks and use know premium quality oil.
Teh oil systems on two storkes is critical and exposed more so than 4 strokes. Have the o rings changes on teh rem,oe fills, gas tanks too.

If the boat has been sitting around for some time like repossessions usually do, better get the fuel pumped out and use only fresh fuel.

I bought two repossessed boats many years ago from banks at auctions, saved a bootle.

Good luck.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd be VERY worried about a repo boat. The price seems OK but not great (the buyer has the seller over the barrel in this market). When you factor in at least 2 flights to see the boat, the cost and PIA factor really climb. Assume the prvious owner did nothing to maintain the boat. You can dump a few grand very quickly getting things squared away (try to get rid of 200 gallons of bad fuel $$$). For $50K I'd laugh at them and keep looking. Upper $30's is a fair price for you because of the possible problems. Definitely have it surveyed and the engines checked out. There aren't that many 265's out there but don't fall in love with 1 boat.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Find a marine surveyor from that area to look the boat over. Being that your not local there is a lot more reason to have one check the boat itself out. I would recommend one either way, but before you fly out or drive to ever see it knowing any known issues are good. Even if it is simple things like light bulbs or wipers, every little thing they find makes your job easier to know what you need to invest and do to get her usable. More then likely there are not issues, this model is a very sound boat so as long as it wasn't really neglected they shouldn't find anything major, but it is good to have it checked. The engine records will help as well, hopefully most of the use was at low troll rpm's or at cruise and not above. High hours above cruise will put more wear on the engine and deminish its life, normal operation should not effect it much.
BobP is 100% correct, change the oil, put in new gasket's and o rings. Change all filters, and I would even recommend maybe even having the engines services by Yamaha. If not, put new plugs in along with the filters. Change your lower unit oil, even if it has been done recently, it lasts about 100 hrs they claim, so changing it now will give you a good portion of a season before you need to pull her and redo it. I would also recommend brand new batteries when buying a used boat, you never know how well they were kept or how they were used, start with a clean slate with all matching batteries, never mix. I am putting new one's in my 265, looking at either Optima's or DieHard AGM's as of now, the more power the better. I have 3 batteries in my boat, if you only have 2, have it wired so that your stbd engine/ house batteries have 2, one battery is pushing it to start that engine as well as run your house loads.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grog, just like with cars, they usually grab the boat fast, doesn't take a lot of missed payments, two might do it.

But it can sit for a very long time in a storage yard to get the legal papers and notices served before the court lets alows it to be sold or auctioned off by the bank, there is a whole mess of legal paperwork that came with the boats I bought. One boat sat so long, the steering cable was frozen solid, had to saw it out.

And the things like cushions and seats, electronics, may take off by the 5 finger bandits.

That's if the guy is buying a repossesed boat from a bank as owner. It's strict'y where -is- as-is condition, in my case, no tests are allowed, inspection only 2 hrs prior to auction. Cash deposit on teh spot and two days to get oit out.
With the internet now, things may be done different.

By the way, the boat surveyor should be able to comment on price considering any repairs he sees are needed, that's his job too.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Oh, they did start the motor prior to the bidding, and all boats were in the water.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The as-is condition is assumed, but if you can't check it out before, I change the walk to run away. People can be real scum. Too many don't change the oil on leased cars and beat the @#$@# out of them, can you imagine what they can do to a boat. If you were able to take a ride and see it and get a good idea what it's like, then you can go further. When you're 1000 miles away, it's too easy for you to get screwed. The boating market isn't going anywhere in the near future. Who knows maybe there will be another stimulus package to pay off boat loans for those who don't want to pay anymore.

I can't see the bank taking the boat on 2 missed payments, it's not like a car where it's easy to find. It costs the bank more to repo a boat than a car so they don't really want to do it unless you are LATE. A bank doesn't want to own a boat.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The bank moves quick because they know the longer the missed payments the less chance of one continuing to pay, and more time to wreck it or otherwise part it out.
The owner gets a call from the bank right away to find out what's going on, and what if no response? If the bank doesn't call, one can be led to believe the bank didn't care, so it just snowballs.

And some of the people may want to be selling but can't, and even if they can they will still owe a balance on a note, so they just default. It's easy not to make payments, but not so easy not to get gas or eat or pay electric and heat bills.

As far as leased cars or any used boat or car, same apples. Like the people that only add oil when the light comes on, usually two or more quarts down when thay happens.

Once the repossessors grab the boat quick (and protect it), the owner still has time and is offered deals. And the owner has a lot more incentive now, since he lost his toy to play with.
That's part of the reason the boats can sit a very long time, so the owner is given ample time to make excuses but still make good.

At auction time, many of the boats listed are removed from list since the owner knew this was the last chance and scrambled to get it and stop the sale.

the boats can sit for vert long time

Reaction score
The boat is owned by the bank but is being sold thru a broker. That is what they do. Help banks sell of there liabilities ( I have researched the business). I will have ample time to see the boat trial and inspect. The boat is currently posted now on boatrader. I understand not to fall in love with one boat and if the deal is to good run away. Just always admired this vessel and a few trips if worth while is part of the plan. who knows maybe I can squeeze a Pacific Tuna trip in before transport.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I guess things have changed now.

The banks used to hire an auction outfit to run the operations and collect payments and transfer papers over.

I can see how the newer method works in good times, but not now.
A good caller and crowd (mob mentality) Barett Jackson style can get the frenzy going and drive up the price but the prices were very supressed because the boat was not cleaned up.

However the way you say it is, it's just like buying from an individual or any dealer, since you can have a professional survey and detail motor evaluation done.