265 Express

JETI

Reaction score
I have an adventure 20 with 30 ft dock space . Would love to move to a 30' boat but do not have enough space I have been looking at a few 265 express and feel this is my step up boat. Its looks like a great all around boat (any downfalls?)

Bama96

Reaction score
I looked hard at them before I bought the Marlin. They are a great fishing platform. There are several owners here that will chime in and are very helpful. The only thing I did not like, or shall I say my wife did not like, was the limited space getting to the bow. She also thought the cabin was a little small. The positives I found were the boat rode bigger than a 26' hull, the helm area is spacious, and the motors are tucked in on the transom. Great for fishing! Not to mention they are one of the best looking boats on the water.

There were several 2000 and 2001 hulls for sale when I was looking. If one has been re-powered with 4 strokes be sure the scuppers are above the water line. I think they changed the hull to accept the 4 strokes weight in 2002.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
you might check out a gulfstream also. big roomy boat and about a 28' loa with bow pulpit. not the same interior cabin as a 265 tho. ron

eppem

Reaction score
Of course IMO its the best boat they every built, but I own one and fishing is a priority. Plenty of room for an overnite with the Mrs...not designed for long term sleepaways. There is a recent thread from a bunch of current 265 Express owners, (hypothetically wishing), about if it was a tad bigger, etc.

If you want to overnite with more than 2 this boat is a no go....we have had the kids sleep on a blow up mattress on the deck and its doable but very tight for all involved.

This however is the best fishing boat in its class...really challenges comparision and as the previous poster stated its a real eye turner.

tilewave

Reaction score
the only "downfall" to this boat is you need to get accustomed on how to handle her . shes a little tempermental at 1st but worth it. other than that this boat is pretty sensitive to people moving about while your running.

Bill_N

Reaction score
I have an '02 265 with F225's. 95% of it's use is fishing and it's great for that. It rides great, has excellent range, a huge fishbox, great helm area and the cockpit is deep and roomy for a 26 footer. It's also economical with the F225's.

As someone else said getting to the bow might make your wife nervous. It's not a walkaround but no one I fish with has a problem with it. There is plenty of hardtop piping to grab onto.

The boat likes to ride bow high and runs best with the motors trimmed up. You can do a lot of adjusting with motor trim only and it is a little sensitive to the tabs but you get used to it after a few trips.

My wife and I spend a few nights on it every year and for that the cabin is fine. I think headroom is right around 6'.

I'd look for one with F225's or 200 HPDI's.

Bill

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I like mine just fine - going into five seasons with it now-
We did quite a few over nighters with my wife and infant son -
Even spent five days at block island - did have to pay some kids for water refills and have the head pumped out-

When I was looking to upgrade from single engine boat, I had a heart to heart with myself and wife about what the boat would be used for -

Is the fish locker for holding 8 tuna and bunch of mahi - or for holding beach chairs and float toys -

Is the live well intended to keep four bluefish alive or will it hold cold drinks -

Ect -

After lots of thinking I came to accept that while I do go on overnighters - I also log about 40 - 50 fishing trips each year- sometimes I am fishing with only one other person -

I fish my boat - I have had to take a hose DOWN into the cabin to clean up tuna blood - I have stuffed a 150 mako into the fish locker (I have also stuffed a small thresher in there!) I have filled the locker with tuna and mahi -

I used 220 gallons of 250 gallon tank (long overnighter to the edge that included 15 hours of trolling)

Since my boat is used for fishing the 265 fits me darn good -

Now - with all that said - if my wife and I have ANTHER baby is 2010 like we hope - I will be upgrading to a 33 Express!

Tim

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As others have said it is possibly Grady's best "fishing boat". However it makes a great cruiser for the LOA.

Depending on the trip, we will fill the livebait tank with drinks, fish, or livebait.

The Killbox drains overboard and is great for storing the catch in brine or ice,but is big enough to keep extra food, drinks etc.

The forward hatch is big enough for most humans to access the bow however all of my family use the side decks with ease, just don't use the Outriggers as hand holds!

We have 3 clip on cushions up on the bow, that we used for the first time recently to have sundowners and watch a US Starlifter? aircraft at our annual skyshow. I intend to use these more often. Would be a great bed on a warm summers night in a gentle anchorage, under a clear sky. I don't sleep well on any boat downstairs.

The transom setup for the motors is what got me interested in this model, however, If you do a lot of swimming or diving then access to the stern is limited.......that's my only reservation.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
"Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder" of course and we do think Tanami is beautiful........and she does catch fish as well.
DSCF3075.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

DSCF5843.jpg

PA228G

Reaction score
Great discussion. Curious if "the bow rides high" affects fwd vision when running ?? Are the handling/ride differences due to a deeper deadrise than other hull models?

eppem

Reaction score
i am no expert but...

Boat does not ride "high" visability is excellent as the helm is a step up anyways.

As for handling issues, I really see none..I moved up from a 22 witha single to this with twins and that took just some wheel time for the adjustment.

The big problem those have with complaints on this is overtabbing, (lots of threads on that issue)...no need to, tabs are just slight adjustments and used with a light touch. Get this boat on plane, raise the engine a tad and let her fly!

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
No problems seeing over the bow when underway at all -

The trim tabs are big and tucked into formed pockets on the hull (just want you want for fishing - no lines should be cut due to hitting a big steel tab)

The "adjusting" one goes thru with learning to run the boat is that this boat does not require the tabs to get on a plane - basically throttle up, trim up the motors until they hit the sweet spot - and then only use the tabs to level the boat due to weight or seas-

At no times do you need to run this boat with the tabs ALL of the way down, unless you are trying to plane at 12 to 18 miles per hour-

Atfer a few times out you will be able to run the boat without even thinking about it -

Tim

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are the handling/ride differences due to a deeper deadrise than other hull models?

Certainly 22 degrees of deadrise makes for a slightly more tender but smoother riding hull.

She is also very responsive to changes. My F225's are one hole from the highest position and we normally run 3 bars of mtr trim in sloppy conditions however over Christmas conditions were ideal and we were able to run 5 bars at times with an increase of 100-200rpm 1+ knot increase for the same fuel usage.

As others have stated ,the tabs are only ever needed for lateral trim and again she requires very small increments to effect change.I often have to remind my son to" take off the port tab before applying any starboard tab"

These are things that apply to most deep vee's in varying degrees so nothing to worry about and great to play with a really responsive combination.

She is also a very dry boat and we only ever see spray on the windscreen if there is a strong cross wind blowing.

eppem

Reaction score
Jekly, great point about dry...

Hey Tim, Happy New Year! Hope you and the family are well, check out th other thread we have going about the 265. Basically, about if it was a little bigger would you purchase another one? I have a call into Grady about it.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
it should be an easy step up from your current boat. I made a similar jump to the 265. The twin engine thing is no problem after some practice, and makes docking easier. Like any boat it will take a little time to learn its tendencies. But after that you'll find the "sweet spot" and be just fine. Most power setups give comparable preformance. I bought mine to be a fishing boat, for all the reasons already mentioned above. I also loved the helm layout. After having it for a couple seasons I have realized it also does other things really well too. My wife loves the bow area for sunbathing. its a large flat area with a cushion, rather then a seat and a walkway like many similar boats. Getting up there is not big deal. Plenty of spots to grab onto and most of the time your not moving fast and in calm seas. plus it is humanly possible to climb through the bow hatch. The boat is a fishing boat not a cruiser so the cabin is a bit cramped. It is large enough to sleep a couple, I would imagine it would be cramped on a multi day trip though. For its size, the boat is a party barge. There is plenty of room for multiple folding chairs and coolers and water toys in the back. Getting in and out of the boat via the swim ladder is no big deal. The fold down gait has also never been an issue when backing down.

HMBJack

Reaction score
JETI -

Like you, I moved up to a larger boat. I had a 228 and wanted a Gulfstream but scored a beautiful fresh watered 265 with twin 225 four strokes. In my view the 265 is everything the Gulfstream is + "more"...

Your biggest issue is FINDING a nice 265 out there as most of them are kept by their happy owners or are distressed due to neglect or need to be re-powered - each of which costs $. Good luck!

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Mike -

I saw that post -
I have some big plans for 2010 and if things go well I will be looking to upgrade for the 2011 season -

Thinking of going right to the 33 for the cabin that can accomodate a little larger family on over nights- Dont think I will go new - I am planning on 2004 of newer with F250's - hopefully find one for a good deal!

For now the 265 will be fine - just set Block Island in stone for June 26th to July 2nd on the boat!

Should be a fun time!

Tim

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Also set Star Island and Oakbluffs shark tourneys in stone too!

2010 is going to be a fantastic year!

Bill_N

Reaction score
HMBJack said:
JETI -

Your biggest issue is FINDING a nice 265 out there as most of them are kept by their happy owners or are distressed due to neglect or need to be re-powered - each of which costs $. Good luck!

That's what I found when we were looking. It's tough to find a really nice one.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fishing fintastic....find a 33 with old power and repower with V6 300's...awesome power and fuel efficiency, thats the right power package and you'd have new engines. Find a good shape high hour boat for cheaper.

As for the 265, ask away. I fish 40-45 trips a year, as a fishing boat its one of the better designs out there. It slices a chop very well, in a beam sea will rock slightly more then other boats, but it pays for itself in the ride and space it offers for a boat its size. Its one of the few boats its size really capapble of offshore fishing safely. I've run mine 120nm one way trolled, overnighted and run back to the canyons on 204gal of fuel. We usually run 105-110nm troll 10 hours and run back or overnight and run back and burn 180-200gal. Cruise is comfortable and for long rides the helm is a big plus. As for sleeping, it offers less room then some other boats, but offers a bigger and nicer helm and more open cockpit. If you overnight and need more space it might not be for you, if you arent sleeping on it or only need room for 2 its plenty big. The down side to an express is getting forward, although I rarely do it unless at the dock so I could care less. My 65 year old father runs the boat alone and has no problems handling it. Line of sight is one of the best with a center helm, WILL NEVER buy a boat with a side helm again PERIOD!! It feels like your handling a smaller boat because of it, but the boat rides as a bigger boat, especially loaded down and full of fuel. Ask any specific questions or send a pm and I will offer any assistance. Will send a cell number in a pm if you would like to chat about the 265.