265 Express

Grady678

Reaction score
Jeti,

I was absolutely surprised at the large size of the 265 when I saw it for the first time last weekend. I too, looked at this vessel but a Marlin fell in my lap. I'm not sure there was any negative I could see except no Walkaround if you have the little ones. Good luck!

mronzo

Reaction score
I just finished my 6th season with my 2000 265 Express.
I thinks it's one of the best 26' cabin boats out there if not
THE best! Even with 80% of maximum hp (t-200s) it can
really get out of it's own way too! (40 mph wot)
You do have to take some time to learn how to use engine trim and
trim tabs together to get the best performance in seas.
Good Luck!

Mjdap

Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone uses the 265 for pulling skiiers and tubes.

At times in the summer, we use the boat to just anchor, swim and play water sports.

It seems that the access from the cockpit to the swim platform is less than ideal, since there is not a seat to use as a foot stool like my 226, and the Gulfstream for instance, has a wide transom to sit and swing over.

So, I just wanted to know if this access is ok to deal with.

May seem like a silly question, but it could be an issue since there is not a 265 nearby to truly check out.

I realize that the 282 would not be an issue with this.

Thanks

HMBJack

Reaction score
The 265 is perhaps the "fishiest" of cabin boats ever built by Grady-White. This fact may be why GW stopped building them - too many people wanted more uses for the boat. If you plan to do alot of water skiing, there are many other good choices. For me - I use my 265 95% for Fishing and 5% for cruising. A ski boat it is not IMHO.

eppem

Reaction score
265 for tubing

Absolutely!

You need to get the longer harness to wrap around the twins and use oversized snaps to get around the stern eyes/hooks.

I have two girls 15 and 12 and they have been tubing since they were very small...we sometimes pull two tubes, its a blast! You went be able to skim across the wakes turning turns (like a smaller boat), but you can tube of it.

As for water skiing, no way. Never tried but I would imagine there is not enough "out of the whole" to get a large skiier out of the water, plus the wakes are big? My girls are both great water skiers also, but we (are lucky) and have access to a smaller boat for that.

As for the fishing angle, I could go on and on, best boat grady has ever made, period!

eppem

Reaction score
Oh yeah, to get to the swim platform all you need to do is sit on the aft corner (each corner has a small access hatch with storage), and swing your legs right over out or back into the boat...no problems at all.

Mjdap

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I also wanted to know how tough it might be to scramble to the front, and back during the process of getting the boat out of or back into a slip, when the weather is somewhat squirly, with wind and or current.

During solo operation I find myself getting to front cleats by moving pretty quickly in the walkaround foot well, but I was not sure how it would be with the express, solo. I suppose the hand holds are sufficient, but just wanted some input

Thanks

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I take my boat out solo quite often - not issue getting forward - plenty of stuff to grab onto (hard top posts, ect) - even when bouncy
It gets a little tough with a fishing rod in your hand - but it has been done

Tim

mronzo

Reaction score
I bet it could pull skiers, but would eat gas big time!
The 265 was meant to FISH!

Mjdap

Reaction score
I have another question:

My useage to date is primarily drift fishing/bottom fishing in tthe Chesapeake Bay and off of Cap May, just offshore. I troll at times, and this may increase.

Anyway, when I have been drift fishing in the ocean, and the swells kick up, I notice how the Albermarle/Carolina Classics roll back and forth, and I am pretty stable.

What has been your esperience with this hull in those same conditions, and if it rolls a little bit, is it noticable.

eppem

Reaction score
Getting to the bow is not a problem...its not a true walkaround (why i like it), with recessed footing, but there is plenty of room and lots of handholds...my girls have no problems getting to the bow and one of my fishing buddies, is shall we say, a big guy, and he has no problems issue.

As for the drift, you will have no problems...we drift for fluke in the sound and the ocean, fish the rips off plum gut or the race and like tim just posted, shark fish (drift), in some pretty nasty stuff also.

Ever been on a 28 bertrem on the drift? This is the complete opposite!

Mjdap

Reaction score
I have never ridden on a 265 and have not been on one since a 2004 boat show, so I have some questions:

I have a question relating to the ergonomics of the starboard and bench seats.

On the 2004/2005 models it looks like a back rest was added between the bench and the seats on the livewell/rigging station. Can this be removed?

How comfortable are these bench seats for multiple folks sitting for a period of time, and how is it for a single person, and can one lounge on either of these seats?

Also, how comfortable are the seats on the livewell/rigging station while under way.

Do any of you add seating in the cockpit such as the bean bags, or is the seating provided comfortable enough.

While underway, do you need the front curtains up, or does the window provide enough wind break for the captain?

Thanks

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
enclosure down!!! you can put it up but will feel the air in your face. I'm making a quick solution...removing the roll up straps and adding a zipper where the plastic and canvas material meet, unzipper it and you have a wind vent for air, but its high so no spray to enter and no wind in the face. This is how high end sportfish builders make there enclosures, they usually put a piece of mesh in to keep dust and water out and to reinforce the area. Hoping my canvas shop can do all this for me in a few weeks. I do not have the backrests as my boats a 2002, but I wish I had them. They are nice to lean on, without them you tend to slide back aft a little over extended times. We run the canyon a lot with 4 guys and the helm had plenty of room for all. Only thing in the cockpit is a 100 qt cooler with a cushion on top, the bolsters are a back rest when slide against the aft folding wall and this offers another spot to sit if someone wants to be in the sun or be away from us crazies at the helm!! We used to have cockpit chairs but felt they eat up space and are not needed, this is a fishing boat. For sitting at the dock they are fine or when family is around, but the past 2 years our boat hasnt seen one and won't.
The seats are comfortable enough ontop of the rigging stations, they are only cushions but I never complain when I sit on them for extended times and have never heard a complaint about them yet from those who I fish with. I have considered adding bean bags for offshore runs but have yet to do so, might bring a buddies this year and see how they work out. On CC's they are great, they get you low out of the elements and add seating that is needed, the 265 should have enough seating for all. You can always throw bean bags on the hardtop when fishing if needed, know plenty who do that.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
the helm seating setup was one of the major reasons I bought my 265. I have had 4-5 people in the helm area is no problem, even in colder weather with the back of the enclosure down. My boat is a 2002 so i do not have the backrests. I don't know if you can add them easily or not but would consider it if you could. I also saw a boat once which had a table on top of the pedestal instead of a helm seat. As for seating in the back, I have those white marine folding chairs and various coolers. for longer runs with multiple people on board, or for pleasure cruises they are comfortable. I find myself using them less and less when fishing. Even folded up the always seems to be in the way. For the fourth of july fireworks last year, we used the folding tailgait chairs that come in a bag, which worked well.
I always keep the enclosure up in front of the helm. The windshield is just not high enough to provided enough protection. Im getting new canvas done this winter, which will have a smilie face zippered part in front of the helm which will hopefully work well.

eppem

Reaction score
On the 2004/2005 models it looks like a back rest was added between the bench and the seats on the livewell/rigging station. Can this be removed?

(I have a 2003, I think that was the year they added the backrest), yes they can be removed, they insert into the bench area on two large pins.

How comfortable are these bench seats for multiple folks sitting for a period of time, and how is it for a single person, and can one lounge on either of these seats?

Very comfortable for two, great for a lounger, my kids fight for that spot in the shade, (good spot for reading)...one of my fishig buddies is a really big guy and a "napper", he crashes on the starboard side with his feet hanging over the backrest all the time.

Also, how comfortable are the seats on the livewell/rigging station while under way.

Mine came with cushions but everyone seemed to slide off of them, plus the cushions limited how far one could open the hatch to the livewell or the rigging sink, so we just took them off, room for one on each spot, plenty comfortable.

Do any of you add seating in the cockpit such as the bean bags, or is the seating provided comfortable enough.

Bring a chair for the mrs when we cruise, otherwise no. Seating around the helm or the livewell rigging seats, or atop a cooler.

While underway, do you need the front curtains up, or does the window provide enough wind break for the captain?

I have a zippered U in the drop curtain right in front of the console, its nice to have it open on summer days, I can run with it and it doesn't bother me...if its cold you have to close it...my windows have side vents, those work nice also. On really hot days you can roll up the side curtains also..(ie, sharking with little wind and hazy, hot and humid).

Went to the NY Boat show yesterday, show getting smaller and smaller, its kinda sad! Looked at a bunch of boats, my 265 is still my favorite, please call GW and mention that you love it and wnat to see it back in a bigger model!

eppem

Reaction score
I spoke to the Joey Weller, VP of Marketing at GW today for about 20 minutes! If any of my fellow 265 owners want to be heard, this is the guy to speak to.

He said the design for the 265 came out from customer feedback at NJ boat shows, the boat proved to sell well in New England and in Florida (not so hot in NJ after all that), but just enough demand for the "fish first" design of this boat.

I shared some thoughts with him and he seemed very sincere and interested in what I had to say. This guy certainly loves and is proud of his own product. I cant say a bigger 265 syled boat will be in production next year but he said things can change and they do listen to their customers.

The challange for them (as we know) is the balance of keeping the wife happy..thus the style changes over the years...funny, once again, speak to a guy from GW and the first thing he says is its his favorite fishing boat they ever made.

Here is his contact info...

Joey Weller
Vice President Sales and Marketing
jweller@gradywhite.com

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Called Grady directly to order backrests they said it cannot be done. I looked into it, it can be done but is a pain to get access and would require some expensive /custom tools to reach the locations to actually bolt in the recepticals for the backrest itself. If you know someone with a good autobody shop they likely have the extensions and tools needed, but it wouldnt be easy but if so desired could be done, but it will involve lots of cursing to do. I opted to not put them in for now but sort of wish I had them, I just know how hard the job will be and honestly do not need them that badly. My guys usually lay down and rest more then anything on the bench seats on long runs so it would just become something in the way that would need to be stored. If anything I would add some grab rails so guys can keep from sliding down underway, there aren't enough grab rails, especially on the port side.

what made the 265 stand out was its fishing attitude and keeping away from pleasing the wife and family, its made to fish!! Grady has gone away from the just fish attitude and has went family crazy and has ruined some great models with aft cockpit seats and huge fish boxes in the way that eat into cockpit space and diminish fishablity for hardcore anglers. The problem with the 265 during those years was its high price compared to the other models in the lineup, it cost as much or more then some sailfish at the time, and there was also an islander 26 and a 24/25 explorer to compete with for a lot less money. In return the 265 did not sell like it could have, there simply were too many boats in this size range and that hurt the potential of the model to really boom. If you talk to 165 owners though, they are nothing but pleased with the boat and as a used boat its proven to be very popular, they rarely stay on the market long and there are tons of guys looking for them used, for the price used you get a lot of boat for your money.

I've been debating buying a new boat but decided to stay with the 265 because out of the boats I can currently afford, they give me no benefit or added capability over my 265 and would only cost me more to buy and operate. Until I can move into the mid 30ft range with diesels, I'm sticking with my 265. I fish offshore a bit and the boat does the job and economically. We've been out in nasty seas and always came home safely. Right now my boat is rigged the way I want it, if I moved up I'd have to pour a ton of money into it to get it the way I want. Looks like I'm keeping the 265 atleast another 5 years or so and honestly I'm happy about that!!

RJTFD

Reaction score
Hi Tom,
Sorry to hear your going to keep your boat for another five years,I was hoping I could take it off your hands sooner than that. Just kidding!
The 265 I think is one of grady's best fishing boats that is still affordable. Once you get into the 30 and above its a whole different boat every thing cost so much more from maintanence ,fuel,slip fees insurance and so on. The 28 and now the 29 doesnt compare to the 265 as far as fishing goes.
A 265 in well kept condition is not easy to find and the ones you do find go very fast.
Good luck Tom
See you out there

Oriole

Reaction score
265's

I too am glad to hear that you are keeping your boat Tom. In fact, the insightful comments made by you, Tim and some others on this board directly contributed to my decision to purchase a 265 in July of '08 (formerly "Conjuror"). We fish the Chesapeake out of Deale, MD.

I believe that some of the more knowledgable posters on this board are not only informative and contribute to my enjoyment of owning this boat, but also have a direct impact on its value. Where is a potential buyer going to go to support his decision or even help him make it? Here. Like I did. So, I appreciate the great information available here and glad to hear I can look forward to more as can anyone else looking for solid information on this model . BTW- I too, LOVE THIS BOAT. Tim