265 first ocean run

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Well, finally got the 265 out in the ocean yesterday for some halibut fishing. The ride is definitely smoother than my aluminum Northriver that I owned previously from a sea chop standpoint.

Looking for some input from other 265 owners. The boat is definitely very sensitive to weight distribution and people moving around while underway. I also noticed it really tends to list to one side or another while underway depending on waves, etc. Cruising along then all of the sudden it will start listing to one side, correct it, then it may start going the other way. Not using my trim tabs at all.

The boat also seems to require a lot of attention when cruising at slower speeds, constantly requiring steering input to keep it going straight. It wasn't the smoothest day, but definitely seemed a lot more "squirrly" than my previous boat in similar conditions. I tried to go faster to see if it changed, but honestly just wasn't that comfortable doing that considering how it was acting at lower speeds (20-25 mph).

Only issue I had was the port side motor stalled about 5 miles out. I switched the fuel valve from aux to main and it started right back up. The starboard was still running off aux, so think I have a bad fuel tank switch valve.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Suggest using autopilot if you have it. If not, you may want to invest in one. Computer keeps adjusting, much faster than you can, to keep your boat straight. Once at desired speed, use tabs to offset weight imbalance. In sloppy, windy conditions, trimming the engines down to get the bow down can help tracking, but you'll probably need to go slower for reasonable comfort.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You need to checkout your fuel tanks, sending units and gauges. You may have run out of fuel.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
You need to checkout your fuel tanks, sending units and gauges. You may have run out of fuel.
Definitely wasn't out of fuel as the starboard motor was still running on the aux tank. since each motor has its own switch valve. Only switched the valve on the port motor which stalled

seasick

Reaction score
Could be a bad selector valve . I wouldn't think that is as likely as a problem with the fuel line between the valve and the tank or a problem with the tank pickup.
Did you happen to notice when the motor died if the primer bulb was collapse or was it very soft?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Definitely wasn't out of fuel as the starboard motor was still running on the aux tank. since each motor has its own switch valve. Only switched the valve on the port motor which stalled
How do you know how much fuel you have in each tank? How were the valves configured when it stalled? Which engine on which tank. What valve did you switch?

Why do you think it's a bad valve? Just because the gauge says you have fuel doesn't mean you really have fuel. Sending units go bad, previous owners hack wiring. Fuel pickup aren't always the same length. There are two pickups per tank. How the boat is riding affects pickup as well.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Veteran 265 owner...with DF200AP zukes...

The pickups are staggered. so one motor will run out first. Its like a warning...done it many times returning from canyon.
The forward Main tank is 130 gals, the rear Aux is 120. Remember that when you look at the 1 & 2 fuel levels.

Fuel levels are never accurate...but they are consistant. Once you figure out what 60 gals looks like, it stays that way.

Never use tabs. Make absolutely sure they are both fully up and pull the fuse so nobody moves them. Never use tabs.
One tab slightly down will F with you.
If people are walking around shifting weight, tell them to sit the f down. center your 150 lb cooler.

I went thru a learning curve and thats what it taught me. TABS are the devil...

If the motors are trimmed down too far you will fall over to one side.
I start out of the hole fully in and raise them out smoothly as I'm coming on plane.
GET AUTOPILOT!!!
GET AUTOPILOT!!!

Set the motors toe out by 1/2" to 3/4". ( point props toward each other). It will improve your ability to drive straight.
Of course, bleed air out of hydraulics. Carry a little squeeze bottle of Hydraulic fluid. Over time you'll work out air..

If you have not bled out old fluid , do it. Change it all. Do it ASAP.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I had filled both tanks just the week before I took my boat in for a repower. I had only put 6 hrs on the motors up until yesterday. I was running both valves on Aux. After the port side motor stalled, I only switched the port side valve to main and it started right back up. I left the starboard valve on Aux, left the port side on main, and continued to run for the day with no issues. Total of about 50 miles. This weekend, I plan to switch it back to Aux and see if it doesnt start again.

As far as tabs, thats why i mentioned I didn't move the tabs at all. For everything I've read, I've avoided using them.

They put a new steering ram on when they did the repower, and it was all power bleed.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I’ve got nuthin’ but I’m so excited for you! Congratulations on the maiden ocean voyage. Mine is on my lift and the new wire marine panels get here monday%. Hopefull, I get the electronics installed quickly and can join in the beginning of firsts. I’m super excited to run my 265

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I may be a bit of a pariah in the 265 family but I do use my tabs - albeit sparingly. I also added a trim tab indicator a couple seasons ago so I'd have a better idea of where they're at. Without one I never quite knew if I'd gotten them fully retracted just by the sound of the pump and now they reset to a fully retracted position every time I shut the engines down.

Generally don't use them for leveling out, like Skunk said - move people and then have them stay put. I do use them when running in the short period 2-3s that are common on the Chesapeake after I'm on plane and have trimmed the motors up so I can get that sharp bow entry back down to cut into waves vice smacking into them with the bluff section of the hull.

This hull has a list gremlin hiding somewhere in the bilge and that little bastard just likes to run around down there in cahoots with wind and waves to randomly cause the boat to do things for no apparent reason. I've never figured it out.

Big fan of my autopilot and will never run a boat without one again. If you don't have one and are interested I've got the original Simrad AC10 setup that I removed when I did my electronics overhaul a couple years ago sitting out in the barn, it's not perfect but it's functional, shoot me a message if interested.

No further ideas on the fuel issue, not something I've run into. I run mine off the same tank and use the fuel flow meter to track burn, it's proven to be pretty accurate.

Reactions: Saltyone

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Only issue I had was the port side motor stalled about 5 miles out. I switched the fuel valve from aux to main and it started right back up. The starboard was still running off aux, so think I have a bad fuel tank switch valve.
I doubt its the valve unless its dirty or clogged. Next time out run the port side motor off the aft aux tank. See if it happens again. I have seen fuel hoses separate fro the outer jacket and collapse under vacuum closing off flow. If that's the case change all the fuel lines back to the valve.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
This hull has a list gremlin hiding somewhere in the bilge and that little bastard just likes to run around down there in cahoots with wind and waves to randomly cause the boat to do things for no apparent reason. I've never figured it out
Exactly! That's what it feels like!

I've got an old Simrad, I believe an AP11? I think I need to go through the calibration process on it since the repower. I turned it on a few weeks ago, and was getting an error message.

But I'm looking at getting a new Raymarine AP to tie in the my electronics.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Exactly! That's what it feels like!

I've got an old Simrad, I believe an AP11? I think I need to go through the calibration process on it since the repower. I turned it on a few weeks ago, and was getting an error message.

But I'm looking at getting a new Raymarine AP to tie in the my electronics.
I went all Raymarine when I redid the electronics a couple years ago as their 12" MFDs will fit a flush mounted 265 dash with only a little cutting required and I wasn't convinced Garmin would fit as they were taller units. Very happy with the total package to include the AP.

eppem

Reaction score
Owned a 265 from 2006 - 2020. All good advice re tilt and trim. As for the stalling engine. Replace the fuel lines. I had a similar issues when the boat was about 10 years old. I planned on changing them anyways but started having the same issue. Easy to change and no issues after that. Sold the boat in 2020 and moved up to a Marlin.

SeaVee

Reaction score
I’ve had boats my whole life and spent 15 years in a 25 SeaVee before my 265. Thought I had seen it all. First ocean trip in my 265 was a nightmare, couldn’t figure it out. Wanted to sell it. Then I found this site and took all the advice above. Heed all the advice above and put some hours on it, you’ll figure it out. It’s an incredible boat once you get it dialed in. Just slapped some new 200 Zuk’s on her, got to figure them out now

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I am amazed at how well this 26 rides in crap. I was out first trip of season yesterday, left inlet 8 am. Small Craft Advisory. River/inlet full of boats that turned around and stayed in. SE Swell 3 to 5, wind NW @15 gust 20...so wind against swell. Ran East 6 miles at 26 mph, no tabs:cool:, never slapped or thumped, dry. The boat will tend to lean toward the wind. Just say hey sit over there...perfect... Anchored in 60 ft and had 4 man limit and back in inlet at noon. Wind had died down. Went back out at 1:30 for another 2 man limit.

Reactions: Saltyone

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I will say it is definitely a nicer ride than my previous North River aluminum boat. Even the guys I normally fish with were making comments. It was pretty sloppy on the way out to the halibut grounds, and they were saying if it was the old boat, we would have got beat up on the way out.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Had a 265 for 10 years. There is a learning curve driving the boat for sure. I bought the boat used from a Grady dealer who took me out on the boat and basically showed me how operate everything on the boat. His comment was only use the tabs to control side to side leaning. It took a couple of months of practice to get the feel of using the tabs when needed. Start with just quick touches of the button to adjust, then wait to see how the boat reacts. It will take a few seconds for the correction if any will be noticed. If you use the tabs, get into the habit of brining them up every time you come off of plane and readjust if needed. In general the boat will ride best if you get her up, out of the water and moving. In a lot of conditions she will ride better faster.

Fuel problem sounds like a hose. You have new engines and the gas works in the other engine so the problem must be between the engine and the tank. if you didn't replace the hoses at the repower then start with that. much more likely its a hose problem then a bad switch.